Home U.S. Coin Forum

If you had $1000 to spend on a set of circulated 19th century coins...

what coins would you collect?

image"Darkside" gold

Comments

• Buffalo nickels!! image
    Glenn
  • FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    Flying Eagle cents... less the 1856, which is actually a pattern anyways.
    Matt
  • Capped Bust Dimes.
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    canadian half-dimes

K S
  • DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    Type set coins before 1809.
  • MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,544 ✭✭
    I to am woking on a circulated 19th century type set. for me it would be the best draped bust half you could get for that money. halves are easier to see.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liberty Seated quarters. Underappreciated, underrated, and underpriced. Only better dates of course. But you wouldn't get too far on a $1000 and it certainly wouldn't be a set. How about $5000?

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • lclugzalclugza Posts: 568 ✭✭
    Maybe Braided Hair large cents. I always thought they were attractive and interesting. Liberty nickels seem appealing, too. And I also like Indian cents a lot, but that would probably bust my budget!.
    image"Darkside" gold
  • haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    A single year set, pick a cheap year and get the best grades you can for $1000. I've always wanted to do this, and I planned to do 1860,1876,1899 for I already had a good start (an 1860 dollar, several 1876's, and an 1899 $10) and this provided 3 nice different periods with lots of variety in the coins. I never got really started though since I decided to spend my money on Lincoln Cents instead.
  • How bout a PO-1 set of capped bust coins? Give me a bit more money its hard to make a set of anything thats barber and older with 1000 in a decent grade.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately $1,000 is not going to buy much. I would probably attempt to put together a Seated Liberty Type Set. An AU50-55 Seated Dollar is a decent value in the $450-550 range and there should hopefully be enough change to pick up a ef half, quarter, dime and 1/2 dime.

If that idea doesn't appeal to you and you are limited to $1000, I would just buy 2 or 3 nice high end circulated coins. Seated Dollars would definitely be my first two choices ... a "no motto" and "motto" in AU could be purchased for $1,000 or less if you look hard... but look for quality and originality. Good luck.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file