Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have the coins that you collect changed over the years?

Have the coins that you collect changed over the years, or do you still collect the same kind of coins you did when you first started?And if they have changed, then in what way have they changed? And I would appreciate your reasons for changing (or not changing) the kinds of coins you collect.
image"Darkside" gold

Comments

• Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Sure they changed.

They got more expensive.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Yes they've changed quite a bit. I started with circulated Jefferson nickels. Now most of my purchases are high grade 18th century British tokens. I wish I had started on the tokens 31 years ago instead of the nickels. Back then Mint red Conder tokens were $3 each. Brown Uncs were $2. Boy was I dumb.
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Mine also changed.I started with IHC.Then it was Lincolns.Then I finally focussed on Lincoln Proofs.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    They sure have changed. I started collecting at the end of the circulations find era. Then I started buying the highest grade I could afford(being in H.S. that wasn't much). I now buy the best I can afford but with more money.
  • Options
    mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    I used to put together date/mint sets of coins but i couldn't stand always having holes in the sets so i gave that up and now i just buy whatever catches my eye.
  • Options
    They have changed. I started out as a kid collecting wheat pennies. After that, I've probably collected nearly every U.S. coin except pre 1840's image
    Glenn
  • Options
    Yeah they changed, when I got them they were white now they are all toningimage

DAN
    United States Air Force Retired And Would Do It Again.

My first tassa slap 3/3/04

My shiny cents

imageThe half I am getting rid of and me, forever and always Taken in about 1959
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even as a wee lad I have loved silver coins, mostly quarters and halves. the silver dollars are just to big and are more like a hockey puck than a coin! image

I used to love Proof quarters, now I love dirty, worn, circulated silver Dimes to halves.

Tyler
  • Options
    cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,333
    I restarted with state quarters and a US 20th Century Type Set. Now I am collecting older darkside stuff like Goetz Patterns, French Walkers and Darkside Matte Proofs.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    barberloverbarberlover Posts: 2,229
    Lets see, i started with my dad giving me his lincoln and jefferson collection at age 8 or 9, then i got into morgans and saints when i was around 20.

My interests changed to mint state type coins from 1820's to 1916 around 1983 and i was fasinated with the barber series, type coins and barber halves are my main interest now. Love bust dollars to, but at the prices they are at now, i'd need to win the lottery to do more than just look at them. Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I intially started collecting proof bust dollars by die state, but now I collect circulated Lincoln's I get in my change. It is just something about coins that have actually been used for its intended purpose. Bust dollars are cool and to see how they changed as the die wore.image

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its been Merc Dimes all along. The insanity started when mom gave her collection to myself in the early eighties. She had a little bit of everything but the Mercs just caught the eye. The biggest change has been from collecting to fill the Whitman in grades of VF/XF to filling the whole collection in MS. Pretty big swing in grade which was not even thought of when the Hobby was started. Seems this is just the general progression most collectors have through the years.

Ken
  • Options
    I have always loved silver coins. As a kid I really loved MS Frankies. I had a bunch, but I sold them to go to school. Stupid education!!! I continued my childhood dream and built a nice collection of Franklins (still short 4 coins). Someday I'll finish the set.

Now my interests have turned to classic proofs. I probably would have collected classic proofs as a kid, but it's really hard to raise the money to buy one of these babys when the only income is mowing the neighbors' lawns. Now it's considerably easier.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Yes.

I started with circulated date/mints sets in Whitman folders. I think Roosevelts were the only thing I finished.

Now I collect primarily type sets, much higher grade & price.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    yes, drastically. started out w/ buff's & slq's, now i'm interested almost exclusively in open-collar coinage

K S
  • Options
    Yes, some have. One used to be able to collect circulated coins, and the were worth something. After the 80's its UNC or bust except for early non-modern issues. Franklins used to be really easy to get in high grades and at a give away price. Today they are very difficult to find in higher grades. Washington Quarters are about the same. The early dates are tough and expensive where most everything else is eaeier to find in high grades and reasonable. The newer coinage is a bit pricey which stymies younger collectors. Used to be that a youngster could start out with moderns after 1964 and be able to put a nice set together for little over allowance money. Today with the silver proofs and coins such as the 1995 set coins, they need a full time job.

• Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    I stated collecting again in 99 when the state quarters came out than switched to cirulated cents, than to BU cents and more quarters(Washintons) , SBAs, Ikes, IHC, More quarters(slq), now a complete cirulated US type set and a registry 20th centure type set.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    lclugzalclugza Posts: 568 ✭✭
    I'm more intersted in high quality type coins nowadays, rather than collecting complete sets of one type. All the same type sort of gets boring.
    image"Darkside" gold
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The more you know... the more you realize you don't know. This is especially true for coin collecting. Enjoy all there is to enjoy out there and collectors will appreciate it over time.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started with buffalo nickels in 1957 and have collected almost every US series since.
    I've owned trade dollars and half cents but never really collected these two. I found world
    coins in '76 and added tokens and medals about the same time. Since selling out in '89, the
    only US I still collect is tokens, medals and the modern coins. Someday I hope to go back and
    try the classics again. I also hope to be able to get into the tokens a little more.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    I started collecting Buff and Jeff nickels (AU/BU). Then raw Roosies, Franklins and Kennedy's. Then Morgan's and Peace Dollars. I have always collected US-20th Century Type Sets, now they just cost more for higher grades. Now I collect Gold (Half Eagles, Saints), more (higher grade) 19th-20th Century Type coins, Peace Dollars and Trimes (which are recent additions).
  • Options
    I started around 1957 as well, sticking pretty much with
    US 20th century coins collecting buffalos, halves, cents,
    slq's, mercs, walkers, Washington's, key coins, commems,
    gold etc., and in that order. I never went after dollars
    much probably because everybody was collecting them at the
    time but I did collect a few. I never cared for Barbers at
    all, now here I am years later and it is my favorite coin.
    So many series to choose from makes the hobby fun. Upgrading
    and fine tuning my collection is an ongoing process for me.
    "location, location, location...eye appeal, eye appeal, eye appeal"
    My website
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Abolutely--

I started off collecting low - medium grade circulated type set in a Dansco album
    Then moved on to modern commems
    then to PROOF sets
    then to classic commems
    then to full date and mintmark sets of many series of coins
    now I'm back to a medium - high grade circulated type set in a Library of Coins album set

Dam, back to the beginning sort of.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file