Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

New NBA Team -- the CHARLOTTE Bobcats, Dragons, or Flight ???

There are three final choices for the team name for the new Charlotte team in the NBA set to begin in 2004-2005. I think all three are ridiculous, being the Bobcats, Dragons, or Flight. Bobcats and Dragons seems just about out of the question right off the bat and aren't team names that would work. Now the Charlotte Flight isn't a completely bad name since that area is connected with the Wright Brothers who created vehicles that could be airborne.

Personally, I think all three names are horrible and they need to continue to look for team names.

"There is a reason hidden behind everything we do in life" - Me
"We always strive toward perfection, even though we can never achieve it"
"Joy wouldn't feel so good if it weren't for Pain."

Comments

• Options
    Lol all three suck. I'd have to agree and say the Flight is the best out of those. Pretty bad choices though.

Edit=Typo
  • Options
    Vehicles that could be airborne? Air planes? LOL, j/p wit ya...I think the best name out of those 3 is Flight...other two I think are European Football team names?
  • Options
    i've got a write in vote, how bout the charlotte s#@$birds!!!
    my web site

refs-NETFAN5, 23JORDAN8KOBE, COACHVINNY

ANGEL POWER!!!
  • Options
    UndertakerUndertaker Posts: 5,200 ✭✭

<< <i>Vehicles that could be airborne? Air planes? LOL, j/p wit ya...I think the best name out of those 3 is Flight...other two I think are European Football team names? >>

huh? image
  • Options
    I agree all 3 don't sound like a basketball team....I heard one on the radio today...Charlotte Jordans....With new pres Michael Jordan at the helm.
    XTRA INNINGS SPORTS CARDS
    Now Closed For Good

REFERENCES: check rmcards4u

Looking for tough Game Used and Autos in Football and Baseball, expecially Phillies, Orioles, Redskins, Steelers, Eagles and Raiders.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Vehicles that could be airborne? Air planes? LOL, j/p wit ya...I think the best name out of those 3 is Flight...other two I think are European Football team names? >>

huh? image >>

Review Tgrays original post image
  • Options

it's down to Bobcats, Cougars, or Spiders
  • Options
    UndertakerUndertaker Posts: 5,200 ✭✭
    I don't think there's a soccer team named 'Bobcats' or 'Dragons' image
  • Options
    Err...you got me there...lol, American football...played in Europe! yeah!
  • Options
    the Carolina Cougars would make some sense because that was the name of an ABA franchise. Although the Charlotte Cougars doesn't seem to fit. I think the lesser of all the evils would be the Charlotte Flight, and more than likely that is the frontrunner for the name.

• Options
    I'd also like to point out that many franchises have bad names before the final one is chosen. I remember when Orlando was going to pick the name they were also considering the Orlando Tropics, Orlando Juice, Orlando Heat (which Miami eventually took), and of course the Magic.

So I'm not too shocked too see some terrible choices as possibilities for the franchise name, although the final name probably won't be as bad as everyone initially thinks.

• Options
    Bobcats and Dragons sound like high school mascots, flight is pretty bad too...but if they're limited to one of the three you hafto go with flight.
  • Options
    the only one i heard about was spiders....but ya flight would have to be the best one so far
    refs:
    magic1fan,dpsports,KOBEcollector,4sportcollector,
    kobe8fan,cardnyou,coreyzbinden,ahares,josher416,uwftke26,Quasar31,lafrentz06,cpandeas,Lway7fan,EarlHamMan,dkiger,samsgirl214,bbtt123,co1ector,kr580,carddude,cbc2112

MY SITE
    (always updating)

• Options

<< <i>There are three final choices for the team name for the new Charlotte team in the NBA set to begin in 2004-2005. I think all three are ridiculous, being the Bobcats, Dragons, or Flight. Bobcats and Dragons seems just about out of the question right off the bat and aren't team names that would work. Now the Charlotte Flight isn't a completely bad name since that area is connected with the Wright Brothers who created vehicles that could be airborne.

Personally, I think all three names are horrible and they need to continue to look for team names. >>

Yep. That always happens to new team names. Just like Tennessee "Titans".
  • Options

Charlotte Flight is great. That area is known for the airplane. Plus Flight goes along with basketball too.
  • Options
    kr580kr580 Posts: 4,420 ✭✭

<< <i>Yep. That always happens to new team names. Just like Tennessee "Titans". >>

wasn't the Titans an OLD team, back in the beginning? thought i heard that somewhere.
  • Options

<< <i>wasn't the Titans an OLD team, back in the beginning? thought i heard that somewhere. >>

yeah, back in the day

i personally like dragons, but thats just me, image, although Charlotte dragons doesnt really flow if you say it out loud, lol

• Options
    I believe the Titans were the original name of the Jets
    ref:samsgirl214,Baird34,sportsguy247,jrccrum,ahares,Chayne2,Hondo
    Taylor28jag,mikefromchester ,sjrpipm,Mars2001,naturlbrntrder,Hitechkoolaid
    Dallas822 ,KFC,Bjork73,joestalin,dirtmonkey,Bobstar,Euphoria18,Injun01,Dewey
    PSASPORTS,Co1lector,pacmanssportscards,Brettnc5,Tmac21,Brave,PunKrocKtrojaN,
    TrFstPtch
  • Options
    How about the Charlotte Rays?
    Seriously, the Pilots.
  • Options
    I actually kinda like Flight as a basketball team name, and it does have some extra significance in Charlotte. I thought maybe it should be the Charlotte Flyers or the Charlotte Air (now THAT I would like... all vaguely Jordanesque and stuff image ) instead, though image

Other possible sports team names that I think would just be cool in general:

Storm
    Phenomenon
    Energy
    Rush
    Attack
    Soul or Sol (use your cabeza... Sol cerveza... there, instant name recognition image )
    Kobe Who? image At least Dwyane pays proper respect to Da Big Aristotle image

Yes, I collect shiny modern crap image

All your Shaq are belong to me image
  • Options
    bobcats and dragons is lame, flight sounds like a friggin WNBA team...cant these highly paid execs come up with a decent friggin name?

last expansion: houtson TEXANS...wow, that took some real brains there. jeebus.
  • Options
    bjork73 -- I'm pretty sure Storm and Sol are already used by the WNBA

• Options
    I still think that Charlotte needs to get back the name Hornets, since the New Orleans Hornets just doesn't sound right at all

• Options
    Personally I think there needs to be a 3 way trade in names with these 3 teams...

Utah
    New Orleans
    Charlotte

Give the new franchise in Charlotte there old name, the Hornets. Give New Orleans their old name, the Jazz. Then create a new name for the Utah team like the Pioneers or the old ABA name Utah Stars. I really don't care if the Utah Jazz name stays the same now that Stockton is gone and Malone will follow. Giving New Orleans the Jazz name fits, giving the Hornets name back to Charlotte fits, and creating a new name for the Utah Jazz fits as well.
    Collecting Kirilenko Auto's, 1/1's, all base, and one of every rookie card.
  • Options
    jazz1232dc -- I completely agree with you

• Options
    TGray... you're right... Phoenix is the Sol... not sure who the Storm is... maybe Charlotte? heh...
    Kobe Who? image At least Dwyane pays proper respect to Da Big Aristotle image

Yes, I collect shiny modern crap image

All your Shaq are belong to me image
  • Options
    these all sound like those lame "Create A Team" names in NBA Video Games..
  • Options
    HAHAHHAHHAHHA jeff you should be a comedian image anyways. This team may possibly be better then a couple of the teams in the nba in their first year. They will get the majority of the draft and it should be a good draft next year. So dont be suprised if they're not last in their devision image
    Member since August 2001 (Ballaboveall)

Tradelist

Aim- TreLeung
    Email - *Click*
  • Options
    and here's the starting lineup for your CHARLOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEE FFFFLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!

GO CHARLOTTE FLIGHT! LOL! That name still seems hilarious...

• Options
    Charlotte's major newspaper up there is taking a poll on what the name should be

39% of them said none of the names
    34% said Flight
    16% said Dragons
    11% said Bobcats

• Options
    Here is a possible logo for the name that seems to currently be the frontrunner (Flight)

• Options
    "Yep. That always happens to new team names. Just like Tennessee "Titans"."

Now they had some proposed nicknames that were really messed up. "Showboats" comes to mind.
  • Options
    DId you make that logo TGray? If not where did you find it?
    My Kareem Rush Want/Need List
    http://www.freewebs.com/rush21

Collecting Hakeem Olajuwon and Matt Barnes
    http://www.freewebs.com/chrisorsburn

Collecting Jason Terry Autos
    http://www.freewebs.com/terryauto

My Tradelist
    http://groups.msn.com/ChrisPicSite
  • Options
    Brad Thomas made the logo
  • Options
    no, I did not make it. I found it on some website through nbadraft.net, it was on some draft talk forum

• Options
    awaltzawaltz Posts: 726
    All of those sound like names for Arena Football...lmao.
    Austin Waltz - ACK ACK ©
    I'm back - you better believe it
  • Options
    Charlotte Flight sounds better than the other two, but really - they should try to get better names. All those names are lame.

-Mike
    60+ sucessful trades on here.
  • Options
    BOBCATS BABY!
  • Options
    Well, seeing how the new owners first name is "BOB", it's real easy to figure out why he chose that name regardless of what any poll taken shows. After all, he's the guy who spent $300,000,000 to buy his way into the NBA. There sure aren't alot of bobcats running around in the wild in NC; but hey, for that kind of money he can name the team anything he wants.
    We both agree that the new orange color sucks worse than the name he chose. We wish him luck; he's going to need it if he doesn't have anymore imagination than that.
    Bob & CJ
    Dad & Son

! ! UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ! !
    ! ! Greatest Country on Earth ! !
    ! ! FREEDOM IS NOT FREE ! !

WANTS:Nicer Cal Ripken Inserts.
    Also want RCs of current Football-Hockey future stars.

Bobstarvet@aol.com

References:We have traded with many traders on this forum.We can provide list on request.
  • Options
    who cares what the team name is, they will still suck.