Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Topic i'v been considering for a long time; Do you think the tv network that sells coins is ripping

mint state 64 1927 saint for 1895 dollars, ngc 64 morgans 3 for 150 dollars raw rolls of 1921 morgans for 400 dollars, etc...

How do you feel about these part time coin dealers on tv???

Are they good for attracting people to the hobby or is there pricing going to hurt the hobby in the long run ? Les
The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.

Comments

• Options
    These tv coins are a sham, it makes me sick, they try to take advantage of non-collectors- for example, I was watching one of these shows the otherday and they were selling a set of morgans, the dealer kept reffering to how shiny they were, they were shiny only because someone took a sander to them.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They'll hurt people- they hype stuff people don't know about, so they think it's a great deal... when people learn more about the hobby, they realize they were ripped off, and they leave forever.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna disagree. Time to dust off the asbestos suit. First off, I doubt that the Coin Vault guys are really making that much money - TV time ain't free. They do have expenses. It's like the local coin store charging a couple bucks more for a generic proof set than you might pay on ebay. This is a matter of convenience to the consumer - it's like anything else. You do your homework you pay less. You sit on your duff in front of the TV, wait for the coin guy to come on, you pay more. But, for some reason, when the TV guy is selling a coin instead of some K-tel piece of crap doodad, all the in-the-know collector dudes claim the TV guy is "ripping everyone off", "hurting the hobby", etc. What do you want, is the coin vault guy supposed to personally ring everyone's doorbell and offer 1804 dollars at cost with no profit for himself?

It's all a matter of degree. What about a company like Littleton which sells nice coins at very high prices and targets neophyte collectors? Is that also wrong? Or are ALL the dealers supposed to run low budget operations aimed at collectors who know what they are doing?

Whether you buy overpriced generic stuff from CV, or mess up buying a raw coin on a serious coin show floor, ALL collectors make mistakes. You can't protect everyone, nor should you. People have to learn to stand up on their own. Now, don't get me wrong, I am all for collector education, and I do try to do business with dealers who feel likewise and try to give back to the hobby. But, at the end of the day, the CV guys are filling a certain niche in the market, they will convert some people to more serious collecting, and anyone who makes mistakes buying from them most likely would have gotten bit somewhere else in the coin market anyway.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coinasaurus,

The problem is most home shopping stuff (such as electronics, which I know about to a degree) are retail priced, because people know what to pay if they went to a store... coins are unfamiliar territory for most, but they see the potential due to hype of the great bullion value, etc... that is the problem here.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

The problem is most home shopping stuff (such as electronics, which I know about to a degree) are retail priced, because people know what to pay if they went to a store... coins are unfamiliar territory for most, but they see the potential due to hype of the great bullion value, etc... that is the problem here.
    >>

This is true but keep in mind that most consumer products are marked up two
    or three hundred percent at retail. Coins normally have less mark up.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Coinosaurus excellent post, there are different venues to acquire coins and each one has different target audiences and inherrent costs of doing business. -mark-
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coinosaurus, excellent post. I made these same sort of comments to my local dealer today. I liken it to any fast food joint. They pay cents for a soda they sell for $1.50, why doesn't anyone want to close them down?
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see everyones points but, I just think that they are not really being very honest with their audience. Which happens to be mostly retirees...

i say DEATH TO THE COIN VAULT!!

Well, maybe just shame....
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that the casual viewer of CV generally has no idea of comparative value. Is it the responsibility of the CV guys to say, "if you spend some time learning about this, you might get a better deal elsewhere"? I submit that the answer is no. Heck, if they said this, their phone lines would get overloaded with people who want info for free instead of making orders.

It's the same thing with the big time coin dealers. True story. A certain coin I wanted was priced by one of the major firms at 16.5K. I'm not gonna say their name except to say it is one of the most respected firms of all time. I knew I could get this coin for less. Was it the reponsibility of this firm to tell me that? I ended up paying 12.5K, because I knew what the coin was worth and I did my homework. Heck, I knew more about the history of the coin than the guy selling it to me.

I would suggest that, the markup in this case isn't much worse than what happens on CV. Someone not very familiar with the market could have walked up and paid full price to this highly respected dealer. Whose fault would that be? Would that mean this particular firm, which has done more than just about anyone to educate collectors, is "ripping off" people and discouraging future collectors?
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only problem with the $1.50 soda example is that Chain fast food isn't screaming at you telling you this is the best value in soda out there. They also don't tell you that the price of that soda is likely to quickly rise when their shipment of soda runs out.
    No, anytime anyone sells Commercial grade coins at twice the Red Book retail price, that qualifies as a rip-off.
    I know there is puffery in advertising and you've got to sell the sizzle with the meat, but unfortunutely these "collectors" shopping the TV network are going to holding a warmed over soy patty and not the top sirlion they thought they bought when it comes time to sell.

peacockcoins

• Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    For what it is worth, there are people in the coin business who are worse for the hobby, like ACG----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    Oh, come on, guys! Collectors know that a coin that grades "Good" is not good. Coin Vault and direct mail firms use a combination of technical and non-technical terms to hype crap. It's as simple as that.

"Let the buyer beware" is all well and good! Yes they're appealing to the buyers ignorance and greed--a fatal combination, by the way. Nevertheless, selling sight unseen 1921 morgans hyping them as "the last year they will ever be made," "each and every one grading fine to uncirculated" and such like is utterly unethical.

Companies that send you MS-60 1964 Kennedys and expect you to pay them $25.00 for them are in exactly the same league.image
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    I'm going to have to side with Coinosaurus here. CV isn't forcing anyone to pick up the phone and at least folks know they will deliver the product. The same can't be said of an eBay auction.

You know, if granny keeps that coin stashed away for several years and passes it down to her heirs, it will in time rise in value. Try holding your George Forman grill for 20 years and see what it's value will be.

Truth be told, I actually bought some old proof sets from them long ago. They were sealed as advertised and the price was actually competitive.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    One thing no one mentioned regarding Coin Vault ,they only carry NGC coins and raw coins.Why is that ?? The same reason why my local coin shop is only carrying NGC coins because they are not graded to PCGS standards.They feel a person is desperate to buy a coin, they will buy it not matter what,and if they sell a NGC coin, they can make a higher profit since the coin is not up to PCGS standards. I look at almost all my NGC slabs and it seems like they all have similar nicks and dings in them,like a pattern.This is just my opinion but i wont deal with NGC. I cant afford to make a mistake .
  • Options
    Giving it five minutes more thought, perhaps the buyers and the sellers deserve each other in these instances.

I admit, I have seen an ad from CV that I thought was marginally competitive. It was on certified commodity Saints. Still, the fact that they deliver exactly what they advertise does not relieve them of the moral responsibility of addressing their audience in an appropriate manner.

I am specifically talking about Littleton, Morgan Mint, American Historical Society, and similar outfits as well as the Coin Vault.
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    Maybe we have watched at different times, but I have seen alot of PCGS Morgans on there as well.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    Coin Vault is on now,i have heard them say many times they only sell NGC coins.There was another show years ago on HSN,home shopping network, wich sold pcgs coins, but that show is off the air.
  • Options
    ok i see a pcgs coin . lol
  • Options
    DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    True Pat, yet I have yet to see one of the Coin Vault guys reach through the cable lines, grab the viewers by the throat and yell, "buy these coins or I will take your first born!" The viewers watch the show and they decide to pick up the receiver, dial the toll-free number and place their order. Like it or not (and I don't) these viewers CHOOSE to buy those coins at those prices. Please tell me an entire society can't be hood-winked by the Clintons into believing we are not responsible for our own actions!!!!!! image
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DCAM- I was directing my answer to the Thread Topic question asked, "Do you believe the tv network that sells coins is ripping people off?"

Yes, I do believe they are.
    Now, do they have the right to do so?

Absolutely.
    Although I'm against it, I understand their right to advertise their coins and charge whatever markup as they deem fit.

peacockcoins

• Options
    DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    Total agreement! image
  • Options
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    Now that i'm awake, maybe i can post some thoughts without hitting the reply button first again [lol]

After some of the defense of this stuff i'd like to have the them song from the recent version of "wild, wild west, playing in the background.

One of the biggest problems that has existed in the coin hobby for most of my adult lifetime has been scam artists hiding under the flag, freedom, and moms apple pie!!!

If you don't want government intervention then its up to us to police ourselves and that includes those that take advantage of new collectors.

The arguement that they have a right to do what ever they want may indeed be factually true, but it is ethically wrong and could have long term consequences to the hobby and the industry of collecting coins.

For those here not old enoughto remember what happened to the hobby in the 70's and early eighties, gradflation burned so many new collectors that people left the hobby in droves.

Today i think we have a much more immediate problem and that is the afore mentioned wild west attitude about the coin hobby/industry.

This guy on the coin vault should be a carnival barker, he is good, in a slick snake oil salesman type of way.

This guy is scirting outright lies when he says things like "buy now cause the price is likley going to be higher next time. Did anyone else see the pcgs 64 27 saint he showed only for a minute a few nights ago? if he paid on either side of 500 bucks for it, what would be a fair retail mark up ? 20% how about 30% that would be a hefty profit margin, but for retail i don't think anyone would beef, but somewhere in the neighborhood of 350 % ?????????????

Now, im not saying thats against the law, but the person that buys that coin might be a new collector who's never been to a coinshow or looked at a price guide or a redbook before so he or she pays over 1900 including shipping and after he sees his first gold coin in person thinks it's pretty and socks it away and buys more from this ready supplier whith live tv pictures of coins. Then someday he starts looking a little furthor beyond the confines of his/her tv set and goes to a local coin dealer and asks what the stuff he baught on tv is worth! RUDE AWAKINING TIME!!! and another burned newbee leaves the hobby. Do you think this is an unlikely scenario? Do you?

For those of you that are anti government regulation and anti lawyer on these boards, what is the usuall result of an unregulated industry suddenly getting more and more complaints and grievences going to local and national politicians [who want to get reelected]

Should the coin hobby really be the wild, wild west for newbee's to get taken by scam artists because there is no law against it ? The answer shouldn't be government regulation, but it should be a set of ethical standards that all large retail coin outfits should adhere to, and i'm not talking about unwritten rules that are not clearly spelled out, but some type of enforcement proceedure with teeth for repeat violators. my opionion- Les
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    OK, confession time.
    I got to give SAH, HSN, and American Historic Society credit for getting me interested in coin collecting in the first place. If it weren't for them hyping and flashing their ads all over, I would have never gotten to know the fascinating world of coin collecting. This is about 5 years ago, when all I knew about coins were the Lincolns, Jeffersons, Roosies, Washingtons found in circulation. Then the coin bug bit me in the a$$, when I saw these guys hyping about the SAE, GAE, $20 Saint, etc. I started buying their stuff without doing my homework, but as I learn (and still learning) about coins, ANA, PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ICG, PNG, etc., I realized my mistake, and, as they say, the rest is history.
    As far as I'm concerned, I can't blame anyone but MYSELF for learning before buying. I actually owe these guys a thank you for getting me started. And now when I meet a newbie collector on the street, I will try to teach him or her not to get taken in as I did.

By the way, how do those SAH guys sell them knives and swords so cheap? Uh oh, here I go again, knowing nothing about knives/swords, and thinking they are a bargain on SAH.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    i've seen a lot of accusations of "scam", "bogus", "ripoff", etc., & totally disagree. how do you know they are selling this stuff for "too much"? i'm not aware of anyone having ever been FORCED to buy their stuff. is it really that overpriced? you think that proof sets from the mint aren't overpriced? how about mint sets? was the george washtington half-dollar commem overpriced? ain't worth much today, is it?

is coin-vault really asking too much for their coins? or are you paying too little elsewhere?

maybe YOU are just plain cheap! (not you personally, directed at those who constantly rail agianst this sort of thing)

K S
  • Options
    Correction: I can't blame anyone but MYSELF for buying before learning.
  • Options
    One person's ripoff is another person's bargain, isn't it?
    Question: How do you know if you've been ripped off, if you are totally ignorant?
  • Options
    smprfismprfi Posts: 874
    Coinosaurus
    The time slot that they choose to get aired is cheap compared to prime time slots.Commercials help offset most of their costs.

Now I don't have a problem with a company trying to make a profit but what bothers me is the deceptive way they go about it.When you see them qoute prices do you see them using a price guide like the red book or the guide to U.S. coins? NO! They find the highest priced retail catalogue put out by some other company trying to sell coins also. They may be getting their suckers but they are hurting the hoby.

dbldie55
    Fast food places,gas stations,and stores in general all have mark ups but you will notice that it is industry standard.You go from one place to the next and the prices are all close to the others.That can be said in the coin industry also.
    The CV does not follow industry standard,they are out to decieve and rip people off.
  • Options
    ER
    I have priced their knives and swords and they were cheaper than what was in the stores.I purcased some and the quality of them is excellent.I buy a few lots every year and turn around and sell the ones I don't want for a profit.
    If you are considering getting a lot go right ahead. I recommend them,for knives and swords at least.
  • Options
    Thanks, smprfi.
    I always thought their swords and knives are a bargain. Thanks for confirming it.
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    The problem with the coin selling TV shows is that they are always saying what a great investment the coins are and then selling them at double full retail or more. No one is selling you a Foreman grille and telling you it will be worth more in the near future.

If you position is that people need to be informed and tough if they get taken, I guess that is one way to look at it. I think it ultimately turns more people off than it brings to the hobby.

My elderly mother is basically a shut in and buys clothes and things all the time on TV. I have told her NEVER to buy me a coin from these charlatans on TV, as it would be throwing at least half of the money away. She knows I collect coins and was amazed at how overpriced all those coins are.

What does that say about this to you? Should my elderly mother be taken because she wants to buy a present for her coin collecting son? That is my problem with these guys.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    barberloverbarberlover Posts: 2,229
    Interesting question, how do i know they are ripping people off?

First i will say not every single coin they sell is an outright ripp off, in the same sense, the milk and eggs at 7/11 stores is competitive with cub foods or rainbow 2 very large wholesale store chains
    but i wouldn't want to buy all my groceries at 7/11 because the milk and eggs were priced o.k.

Donkari, the prevailing attitude of if it was o.k. for me to learn the hard way, it's o.k. for the newbe's to, may bring some new people to the hobby but i would venture to say there are more ex coin collectors then newbees staying and coming here and thanking the outfits that ripped them off for introducng them to the hobby 'the hard way'.

Those knives and swords look cool, but i don't know what people do with them all [lol].

I wonder if the attitude of, let the newbee buyer beware is the same attitude as was the case in the 70's & early eighties with the almost yearly gradeflation and the everchanging anacs certificate coins? WILD WILD WEST, WILD WILD WEST i don't know the rest of the song but you get the point.

I've had my rant, and gotton this off my chest, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Les
  • Options
    ZerbeZerbe Posts: 587 ✭✭
    Can anybody here watch the Coin Vault for more than three minutes, without WINCING ??? If not, please PM me. I have a large box of coins in my damp, leaky, cellar for sale. I guarantee these coins to be minted by the US government to the strickest standards
    and by aging them under strict environmental conditions to enhance the beauty of these rare precious metals, by evenly coating their exquisite designs with scientifically metered, damp, almost magical,
    atmosphere, to create a truely unique, rainbow toned, masterpiece. These coins are priceless ! But for you lucky people watching, they can be had, for one hour, and one hour only, as they are in limited supply and when sold, are irreplaceable. Priceless, beyond words,folks. I can't believe how low they are making me offer these rare, rare, official US government mint coins !!! Only $499.99 for 12 US Silver Dollars, over a hundred years old. Each and everyone a CENTURY old, and available for a limited time. Please do not pass up this once in a lifetime opportunity. These coins are guaranteed to increase in value. They just arn't making them anymore. BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. ( I think I must PUKETH )
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭
    These coins are guaranteed to increase in value.

I'm game. What exactly are the terms of your guarantee?

Joe.
  • Options
    ZerbeZerbe Posts: 587 ✭✭
    They are guranteed to sell for huge profits on EBAY. Each and everyone of these rare priceless gems comes with a certificate of authenticity.
  • Options
    CLASSICSCLASSICS Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    .........they always have two people running thier mouths at the same time............the barker, hypes the coins telling you how rare they are, they are not rare, they are common, thats why they have hundreds to thousands to sell to the people. ..then they have the straight man next to the barker....he stands there with a smile on his face, and every now, and then butts in and says.......yes folks these are rare.......the clock is almost up, better call in now and place your order before they are all gone......... like the old bait and switch game.........yes the coins are real, why they are even graded.the only proble is...they are common, and over hyped coins.......thats how they stay on t.v., they sell common coins which can be found by the tens of thousands.......stay away, and save your moneyimage
  • Options
    First I'd like to say I enjoy watching Coin Vault (operative word: "watching") . I get to see some things I can't see without schlepping to my nearest coin shop (not really near at all) and once in a while I actually learn something.
    I'm a new collector and I've been screwed a few times but I'm taking it all in stride. Luckily, I don't think most newbies are in the market for $20 Saints, so the margin for loss is much less than for a seasoned collector. I think the bottom line is this: most people wouldn't buy a car without shopping around, so it shouldn't be any different with coins. Taking to car analogy to the next level we've got a local guy who pushes used cars in a very "Crazy Eddie" fashion. His catch-phrase is "HUUUUUUUGGGEEE." Everything is huge especially his extraordinarily low prices (sarcasm). The Coin Vault guy reminds me of him. I wouldn't buy from either one of them.

Bottom Line:
    If you buy from a guy who sounds like a carnival barker don't be surprised when you find out your purchase is worthy of a side show exhibit.
    Just My 2 Cents,
    Big Mike <><

Let your roots grow down into him and draw up nourishment from him, so you will grow in faith, strong and vigorous in the truth you were taught. Let your lives overflow with thanksgiving for all that he has done. --Colossians 2:7
  • Options
    How about that "Buddy Pardue"? What ever happened to him?

Jim
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file