Home U.S. Coin Forum

Crossing NGC to PCGS

WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
Looking for advice, stories, experiences and the overall wisdom of my fellow forum members. I have a set in which one of the coins, 1794 50 cents, is a NGC 35. The other coins (both) in the set are all PCGS. I would like to cross it into PCGS and am looking to do it at the ANA this summer. Do I break it out? Do I ask for a minimum grade? Am I an idiot? How does one do this? The reason for the cross is strictly vanity - a consistant display looks nicer. Any comments, pro or con, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Wondo

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd ask for a minimum grade, myself. That way, if it doesn't cross, you still have it in a respectable holder.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if they are getting any better at crossing. My experience is be sure it is at least what you want and crack it out. I have sent exactly one coin in for crossing and it didn't cross. Every coin I have cracked out and sent in went the same grade or higher--go figure.

If you decide to crack out--you really need to make sure the coin meets the standards!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say that you should try and cross them first. No risk except the fee. You never know what might happen if you crack them out. Unless of course you know how to grade. If you trust your eye for technical grading and originality, crack them out.

Are you a money in the bank safe kind of guy or a small cap risk kind of guy. Do what feels right.

John
  • Hi Wondo,

Do not crack it out! There umpteen rerasons that may keep this coin from going back in a slab, even back in an NGC slab.

I would start by paying the $30 for the PCGS crossover fee and use the minimum grade. If it won't cross then you will have it back in time to walk it up to PCGS at the show this summer and maybe find out why. IMHO

Larry
    Dabigkahuna

• WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    1794 halves are some of the weakest struck coins in U.S. history. Now that is based on all five specimens that I have seen ranging from vf20 - vf40 and some dealer input. Hardly a huge sample. My ngc35 looks better than the pcgs40 that I passed on, but I own the 35 now - hardly an unbiased opinion. Though I have confidence in my grading ability, honestly when buying at this level, I want the darn thing slabbed. Anyway, crossing at the current grade would be great, heck, if it dropped it would still be the same coin. My gut is that I will try to cross.

This is a loaded question - does PCGS ever upgrade a cross?
    Wondo

• moosesrmoosesr Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭
    I don't have a whole lot of crossover submissions, but I did have a 1976 Type 2 ANACS MS65 Ike cross over to a PCGS MS66 (5 coins crossed out of 6). On a previous crossover I only had 1 out of 4 cross. I also have submitted crack outs (10 or 12) 1972 PCGS MS64 Ike dollars in the hopes of getting a MS65. All the coins looked like they might grade MS65. I received no MS65's but most did grade MS64, with 1 or 2 going to MS63.

Based on my limited experience I would recommend submitting coins as crossovers and not cracking them out.

Charlie
  • foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    I've sent in several PCGS coins to PCGS for regrades, and received the next higher grade. I've sent in ANACS and NGC coins to PCGS and received the same grade, and once even a grade higher (MS64 to an MS65). The latter was a Peace dollar graded in the earlier days of NGC. I've also had a few NGC coins not cross-over to the same PCGS grade. Oh the advice, I'd send it to PCGS in the NGHC holder and have it put in a PCGS holder if it meets your minumum requested grade.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    The trouble with crack outs is the fact you better know how the hell to grade. Otherwise

You are like the Compulsive Vegas Gambler. He will brag about the 10 grand he won but will

always fail to tell you of the 100 grand he lost. The dirty little secret is that after cracking out a coin.

the can be downgraded or worse. ITS WHAT IS KNOWN AS A CR*P SHOOT.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage

• Yea!

What Bear said.

• WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Thank you all. Please remember I am not motivated by an upgrade or even the possibility that a PCGS slab will be worth more than a NGC of the same coin. I want my coins to match - is that so horrible? Cry, sob, boo hoo, etc. (Sally Field momment) Really, that is my only motivation. If that makes me an idiot, it only confirms my wife's suspicion ( aha, but who said yes?).

I understand that it is the coin, not the plastic. Laibenstein (sp) had two 35's in his case at Baltimore priced about 3k difference and he was absolutely right.

I am just trying to figure out the least painful path to my destination. Thanks again.
    Wondo

• hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭

<< <i> I would like to cross it into PCGS and am looking to do it at the ANA this summer. Do I break it out? Do I ask for a minimum grade? Am I an idiot? How does one do this? >>

If you really want an unbiased opinion, take and cut the top of the slab off with a bandsaw and submit the remaining holder and coin.
    Mark
  • tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I'm with you Wondo, I want my slabs to match. Just be very careful that they would slab, nothing worse for me than a bodybag. Take them to the Long Beach show and ask several dealers/David Hall if they can see any problems with them crossing. I did it with 35 indian cents that were raw. Coinguy1 (Mark Feld) gave invaluable advice on potential bodybags.

Tom
    Tom

• prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    You also run the risk of FINGERPRINTS, but I understand the need for consistent slabs, sigh...

• CarlWohlforthCarlWohlforth Posts: 11,074
    When you try for a cross you can specify a minimum grade. So that is what I'd do.

I agree with some comments above, there is no reason to risk cracking this one out.

I think they occasionally upgrade coins that go in for crosses. Most often with modern coins they don't cross them at the same grade at all. I think there is a much better chance of crossing a classic like that at the same grade.
  • jonesyjonesy Posts: 5,031
    Fellas, I'm proud to say, I crossed a 1936S/S from NGC to PCGS. Coming back today at MS62. Guy that sold it to me said He bought it as a PCGS MS61. He sent it to NGC who bumped it up to a 62. I sent it on 9006824. Coin #90100381. imageimage
    Glenn
  • StratStrat Posts: 612 ✭✭✭
    Wondo,

I don't think I would crack out an early half either. Early halves are known for having hairlines and other surface factors, and that's always a risk for a bodybag. PCGS should respect the originality of the coin, but why take the risk, especially since it is a valuable coin (6-7K or so?). Try crossing it over, and if it doesn't cross, then ask PCGS for an explanation why, and ask them for the grade they determined the coin to be. If they tell you their grade is lower than the NGC grade, you can ask them to holder the coin at that grade. You can also ask them why they didn't feel the coin should cross. This will give you a lot of information about your coin, and heck, you have the right to ask, since you're paying a grading fee. Get the most of of that fee! Good luck with your submission, hopefully, they'll just cross the coin.
  • jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    imageOut of 20 I sent in for cross, only one NGC did and 1 grade lower! They were all Proof Cam and Dcam Roosevelts from '50 to 1960. I don't know why and even requested a grade drop on several if necessary. Not sure if they could really tell the quality through the plastic.
    One day I'll crack out a few just to see what happens then.
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    According to a Morgan guy who had a high grade registry set, this is how the game is played. Take your NGC66 Morgan send it in to cross. It will come back PCGS65. Wait 60 days send it back and they will upgrade it to the the 66 it deserved. PCGS can then hold to their 20% crossover rate and make two grading fees. It's a win win for them. This assumes of course that the NGC 66 was not crap for the grade.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file