Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

need a little advice on removing PVC

I have a1867 nickel that has a little bit of PVC on it. What should I use without hurting the coin?

MS70?
Blue Ribbon?

I have both.

Comments

• Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    ttt
  • Options
    maddogalemaddogale Posts: 859 ✭✭
    Acetone should work if you are careful with it, avoid prolonged contact with your skin. a 50% solution should work as well, albeit a bit slower, and is easier on the skin, should you come in contact with it. BTW, dilute the acetone with distilled water to avoid water hardness spotting. rinse with isopropyl alcohol and then dab dry or air dry with a blow gun or soft soft cloth. I'm not sure MS-70 would work on PVC
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on; I don't do these things to other people, I require the same from them."
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    I think those are good but some may say to start with straight acetone first.
    Not sure what others may say but acetone is high on the list of solutions for PVC removal.
  • Options
    maddogalemaddogale Posts: 859 ✭✭
    Cam40, that's true, the straight stuff will do the trick, but I always like to dilute that stuff first and just give it a bit more time to work. Not something I really want to come in contact with my skin for long....been there done that.....DOH!!image
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on; I don't do these things to other people, I require the same from them."
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    If it's valuable and you want to make sure all of it is off, then NCS is the best route. Otherwise a good rinsing in acetone should get it. But sometimes acetone doesn't get it all off. Depends on the severity of the problem.

Neil
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Depends on the severity of the problem.
    So true.
    Some coins are so bad nothing works.Except a lava dip.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, wait.

You said WITHOUT hurting the coin.

Never mind. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    PVC has always bothered me. How do you detect it on the coin? Does someone have a coin pic that shows this example?
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before.
    After acetone.
    Don't know it looks any better. PVC is just bad stuff.
    Larry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file