Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is gold on it's way back up?

BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
Gold took quite a jump today and has been slowly climbing since it's recent low somewhere around $320.00 ounce. Do you see a sustained increase and where's the top?

Bill
"Have a nice day!"

Comments

• Options
    Gold is way too volatile as an investment...it may run a little and will just as quickly crater.

If you're gonna buy for investment...be ready and able to dump at a moment's notice.
  • Options
    DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    A very nice hop today! With all the money we are printing, you're not surprised are you? Yes, we will move back to the recent highs.

• Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    One can never have enough GOLD image

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    imageGold is reflecting currency exchange rates more than anything. Euro below .90[God only knows why except GATT,NAFTA,WTO and the EU] Take the price and multiply by 90 and the increase in value is virtual to the US dollar!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, as Asians sell our dollars and treasuries, our dollar is weakening. Gold will continue up as long as the dollar remains weak. I agree with DCAM that we will test the early 2003 highs
    in the not too distant future.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    for me i think gold will test 400 500 within the next 2 years ESPECIALLY SO AFTER THE NEXT PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION

sincerely michael
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    Given the volitility of the world in general and certain currencies in particular, I am of the opinion that it won't take more than 15 months for gold to reach levels higher than anything since that crazy run up of the early 80s.

I'm banking on it, literally.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    WOW, i can't change lead into gold......but i bet i could change all that gold into some pretty nice looking certifed COINS! image

<< <i>One can never have enough GOLD
    image >>

The Ex-"Crown Jewel" of my collection! 1915 PF68 (NGC) Barber Half "Eliasberg".

Once again resides with Legend, the original purchaser "raw" at live Eliasberg auction. Laura and i "love" the same lady!

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My own guess is that gold will trade in the $ 250 - 400 range for the foreseeable future. If I were a gambler, I would get in whenever gold dropped below 300, and get out when it hit 350 or so.

By the way, for those of you who think we are printing too much money (I do not, given global deflationary tendancies), what is your expectation for the annual average inflation rate for the next ten years? In my own view, there are almost no scenarios that are good for gold other than inflationary ones, and I expect inflation to be very low as baby boomers start saving.
    Higashiyama
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I just wish it would drop so I could buy more 1950's South Afircan proof sets. Although I don't see gold as a prime investment, it would have been nice to have stuck my retirement fund into it instead of into the mutual funds I chose. At least it didn't lose 30% to 40% of its value in the past 2 years. image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    Anyone know about the worldwide restructuring of the financial markets due to take effect in mid '04. As I understand it, the dollar, the Euro and the Panda are to be tied together at some fixed point.

Pandas are gold of course, so it would tie the major traded monies back to gold through the Panda. From what little I can gleen about this, both the dollar and the Euro will be devalued in this process before the 3 are tied together.
    Wouldn't be the first time the dollar has been devalued against foreign currency, Nixon did it in '73 I believe. The oil producing nations are behind this move as well.

One immediate effect would be that the dollar would be devalued against gold and it would not be temporary swing, it will lead to an immediate and permanent rise in gold against the dollar.

Silver would rise likewise.

Anybody else know more about this situation?
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    Well, it sounds fictional. The combined clout of every other country in the financial markets is less than that of the US, this could not happen without US approval (indeed, leadership), and the US would certainly not agree to any scheme which changed the status of the dollar as a reserve currency.

In general, it is good to be long dollars. The euro is getting on the edge of being overpriced. If the euro should hit, say 1.20, short it like crazy.
    Higashiyama
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "demise" of gold back in February was somewhat overstated. In deflationary times gold will hold its value while many other goods may drop in price. During inflation, it will rise dramatically. It's good on both sides of the see-saw.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Roadrunner -- we will have to agree to disagree on that one! Gold has less purchasing power now than it did 100 years ago, or 10 years ago. It has not been a good store of value.
    Higashiyama
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Roadrunner -- we will have to agree to disagree on that one! Gold has less purchasing power now than it did 100 years ago, or 10 years ago. It has not been a good store of value. >>

can you explain this a little better and give an example? Gold today is at $342.00 an OZ 100 years ago it was less then $20.00 an OZ I always thought it was a great store of value and had the ability to keep up with inflation or out run it.

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file