Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Barber experts, need your opinion

Lately I have become more interested in barbers but know very little about them, I was thinking about adding a barber quarter proof to my collection, I need your oppinion on the grade of this 1907 proof, any opinions would be helpful. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    It's very weakly struck, check the hair, feathers, and arrows detail. The face & neck has some marks and there are hairlines in the field in front of Liberty like it has been cleaned or mishandled. The tone is dark, ugly and splotchy even for a Barber and the devices are not even frosty. There's a fingerprint by TRUST and on the oposite side by the eagle. Pr 63 @ best and it's nasty.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Very dull and lifeless which might indicate an old cleaning but i can't tell, what really kills it for me is the large hit on the neck, i would agree with 63 at best.

It could be you can only afford a mid grade piece, but leave this one alone.

Search the coin shows in your area as well as the online coinstores before making a decision.
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rd5425 -

I have to agree with the others. Looks 62, or 63, at best.

You can do better than this. Proof Barber material is readily available under PF65 (when compared to many Barber business strikes). I've known two collectors who have put together complete sets. Hold out for a better piece.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    dog is right it is nasty i might add it is a piece of ugly harshly cleaned little eye appeal weakly struck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! garbage

oh and i grade this coin as an impaired proof POS

sincerely michael

seems to me? ????? the pressman was drunk when he struck this proof barber quarter as really weakly struck kind of like a coin where the dies were not properly placed aligned in the press before striking this coin?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

how did this get past quality control at the mint/ I WOULD love to see this coin in person

sincerely michael
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never buy a coin tilted at an angle. It is a good way to scan or photograph a coin to hide hairlines. Whomever you end up buying or attempting to buy your barber from, make sure you ask very specifically if the coin has hairlines or not. Avoid hairlines.

Tyler

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file