Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Value of Non-Gem Moderns

With the exception of the 1942/1 mercs and three-legged buffalos, are there any US coins (excluding errors, patterns, and the mysterious 1964 Peace dollar) minted after1935 that are worth more than their melt value in circulated condition? What about worth more than $10 in any condition less than MS/PR 65?

CG

Comments

• Options
    41-S Walker...I guess it depends on how "circulated" do you mean.
  • Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭
    There are several better dates, particularly in the Washingtons, Walkers and Franklins that are worth more than melt. The most notable (worth at least $10 in Good) are the 1950-D/S and S/D quarter (you seem to be including overdates since you mentioned 42/1) and the 1938-D Walker.

There are too many to list that are "worth more than $10 in any condition less than MS/PR 65". I think another way to say that would be which coins were worth at least $10 in MS 64. A quick look at the CDN shows all post 1935 Buffalos are well above that threshold, most Mercuries even without FB and all with FB, many early Roosevelts, all 1930s Washingtons, nearly all 1940s Washingtons, all Walkers, and all Franklins.

WH
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    Let me modify this to refer to post-war issues at the $10 price.

CG
  • Options
    dldallendldallen Posts: 359 ✭✭
    Naturally we assume you are also excluding varieties, bullion, etc. Still a lot of coins fit in here, but CG, what is the point we are trying to reach here? Just curious, Dave
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are several post -'64 coins which are scarce in VF or better but the demand
    is extremely poor so prices are generally very low. The only exception which comes
    to mind is the 83-P quarter in nice AU. I've heard of these retailing as high as $20.
    Even scarce varieties usually bring low prices in circ.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1946 WLH DDR (oops you said no errors), better date Franklins, 1955-d Washington, 1949-s, 1950-s, 1955p,d & s Roosevelts

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about worth more than $10 in any condition less than MS/PR 65?
    -----there are so many that fit into these guidelines that the post to list them would be quite long, so i'll answer with a simple yes.

Let me modify this to refer to post-war issues at the $10 price.
    -----same answer.

With the exception of the 1942/1 mercs and three-legged buffalos, are there any US coins (excluding errors, patterns, and the mysterious 1964 Peace dollar) minted after1935 that are worth more than their melt value in circulated condition?
    -----again, probably the same answer. walk the floor at any show or look in the cases/folders in any shop and you'll see AU, XF and lower grade coins offered. the local dealer just purchased a small collection yesterday which included Whitman folders of Lincolns 1909-date, Jeffersons 1938-date, Mercuries/Roosevelts 1916-date, Washingtons 1932-date and Walkers/Franklins 1916-1963. he'll probably sell each series intact unless he pulls out the nicer coins/keys to sell individually.

the simple answer to all the questions is that modern issues, due largely to their availability, are generally collected in gem grades. there is, however, still a segment of the hobby that likes to push circs into folders and it's about the best way for a youngster to get introduced to collecting. if you look in any Red Book the melt price is in italics and the numismatic value usually starts at XF-AU.

al h.image
  • Options
    Any 1964 SMS coin, even if impared, would fetch a tad over $10.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An MS-64 1969 quarter could also go over $10 pretty easily. Again though the
    low prices are often much more indicative of low demand than high supply.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Many commemoratives fit this bill--but you'd need to find them under the 65 grade.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file