Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

what is hot and what is not in this current market?

in your opinion in this current market what type of coin or coins are the current red hot darlings of the market where the demand is there and can be instantly sold? and most importantly why??

and what coin or coins and you can be as specific as you want to what coins or coin is currently not in demand or little demand in this current us coin market? and why???????

any comments?

Comments

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is perhaps more of a question than an answer, but it seems that original, attractively toned coins that are not monsters are reasonably priced -- that is, they don't seem to sell for much if any premium over a quality white coin.

Has the search for true monsters left a lot of good buys among the more modest but still attractively toned coins?
    Higashiyama
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    higa from my experiences with you you are an advanced collcetor and what you would call originally attractive toned coins most would call these monsters!

i guess for me if a coin is great and has the right look and have extraordinary charactistics the coin will sell for good money and for me it is a value coin as it is always saleable and if it has the right look then a good coin to buy no matter waht the supposed price guides say

as the price guides are like out of wack for exceptional coins which to me are actaully the value coins to buy

i guess a decent coin average and wirh good eye appeal with good toning sells for a little over regular coins are they good buys? i just do not know but show me a coin witnin my speciality and i will tell you if it is a good coin to own!

and also as for example take fully original never dipped glazed over thick skinned silver coins in choice ms grade pre 1835 that sell for way way over published price guides the price guides price these above coins with the knowledge that they price them as if they were cleaned alreasdy because trhis si how the majority come looking like

so any monster or at least super toned coin with an original skin never dipped and monster rare as such will sell for lots more as the price guides do not price or take into consideration this coin and its value as they are just not out there in any kind of reasonable quantity that there needs to be a price guide for these coins

i guress i have not said it too well as per the above but i tried my beat and higa you really made some really great comemtns on here that made me think!

i guess i am spoiled after so many years being interested in coins i guess i cant seem to get anything out of average or even above average coins that are just good coins

they have to have extraordinary qualities and make me weep when i see them or they just do nothing for me and the grade could be a poor one of a monster toned ms 68 it has to be extraordinary quality and a one in a millino coin thsyt would make me weep when i see it

sincerely michael

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Whats hot to one collector is not with another. Classic vs Modern, Silver vs Clad, White vs Toned,PCGS vs NGC.

I think the coins you speak of Michael will always be hot with nearly all coin collectors always.
    The true gems with gobs of eyeappeal.

The majority of currnet collectors are maybe mostly newbies brought into the hobby with the SQ program.
    So I would think SQs and many moderns will stay warm for the coming few more years.
    These are sure to drop out of favor when the market becomes totally saturated with these all-to-common
    coins and prices plummet.Seems logical given the early hype to newly minted coins always has a big downside in the
    long haul.

Example comparison of Ike Dollars in 1977 Redbook vs 2001 Redbook.Between those issues the Ike issue has lost
    about 1/3 of value.
    Dont you feel sorry for those that invested heavily in Ikes back then? Gees.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    These are sure to drop out of favor when the market becomes totally saturated with these all-to-common
    coins and prices plummet. >>

They are no longer making 1975 dimes. They are no longer making eagle reverse
    clad quarters and may never do so again. Many type collectors don't even have one.

<< <i>Example comparison of Ike Dollars in 1977 Redbook vs 2001 Redbook.Between those issues the Ike issue has lost
    about 1/3 of value.
    Dont you feel sorry for those that invested heavily in Ikes back then? Gees. >>

Most Ike collectors in those days collected the best examples they could find. Such
    coins today are worth far more than they were in '77.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    There is nothing deader than Lincoln Cents. Just send me all you have people, and I will dispose of them properly.

morris <><

ps, oh yeah, and all your 50s deep cameo stuff too, it all needs to be burned at the stake.
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    percentage increase wise; dcam fullred copper indian cents, dcam morgans, high grade bust dollars, better date buffalo nickels, 1932 d washington quarters graded 63 or higher, modern top of population coins
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    wow all great insightful comments!!!!!

but the one comment that REALLY hit home with me FROM cam40 and he summed things up well

" the true gems with gobs of eye appeal will always be hot with nearly all coin collectors..........always."

sincerely michael
  • Options
    personally myself i feel this needs a .....................ttt LOL

sincerely michael
  • Options
    It seems that MS65FBL and the less difficult MS66FBL Franklins have cooled down quite a bit in the last couple years. The top pop more difficult MS66FBLs and MS67FBLs have held their own though, inspite of the softening of the rest of the series. Even proof Franklins have seen some real cooling down as of late.

Lincoln cents are on fire! It is definitely the wrong time to think about starting a Lincoln cent collection.

I just hope that proof type is ignored for at least another ten years or so. It would be really nice to complete my set of Barber quarters before I have to sell the farm to do it!

• Options
    CLASSICSCLASSICS Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

<< <i>in your opinion in this current market what type of coin or coins are the current red hot darlings of the market where the demand is there and can be instantly sold? and most importantly why??

and what coin or coins and you can be as specific as you want to what coins or coin is currently not in demand or little demand in this current us coin market? and why???????

any comments? >>

..........some things that are hot today, very well could become cold tomorrow, not that people wouldnt like them, but price wise could become dormant.....i remember when morgan dollars were cheap...very cheap, as a matter of fact, most if not all dealers in the late 1950s, wouldnt even look at one.......why? because you could go to the bank, and get them buy the bag at face value!..............today, well you know the story.......the same goes for toned coins, most people hated them, they want white luster coins, so thousands were cleaned to remove the colors........today, well you know about that too!......lincolns will always be at the top of the list, same with the buff,s nickels,...coins people will always be able to afford will always be in favor.........people with the buy it today, sell it tomorrow, make a lot of money will always come along, however they will never enjoy or know the true meaning of having fun collecting coins........with all that said..........forget the whats hot, whats not, here today here tomorrow thinking......as that is no fun at all.....one more thing i do beleive, coins with beautiful original surfaces, with colors, or natural, eye appeal, within a fair price will never go out of style..........image
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    simple answer: any copper w/ an r4+ rarity rating is white-hot. grade doesn't matter much

K S
  • Options
    that rarity 4 plus copper coin post on here really really REALLY intreged mee!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow

sincerely michael

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file