Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who likes VAMs?

Just got this one back from NGC. Bought it at Charlotte already in a NGC MS65 holder. The NGC grader agreed that it was a "gator eye" so I sent it in.

Mike

1887 vam-12

Comments

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    An MS65 Red X!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VAMs are the last frontier for Morgans... I am surprised there isn't more interest and perhaps part of the reason is that some issues, such as the micro "o" associated with the 1896-o, 1900-o and 1902 -o are so rare and virtually non-existant in MS that they just can not be promoted the way the 1887 7/6 or the 1887-o 7/6 Morgans have
    been over the years. Perhaps over time what constitutes a complete set of Morgan Dollar business strikes may change.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭
    That's a great looking Morgan BASEagle. A MS-65 Gator Eye. Outstanding. Someday I'd like to get one. One of the more interesting VAM's
    Thanks for posting thatimage
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Count me in! VAMS get me up in the morning.

MadMart: what did you mean by Red x???

Does anyone look for the "E" reverses???
    Doug
  • Options
    morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    Great photography and great coin. It looks 66 to me.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • Options
    The really signifcant VAM is the 1888-O Scarface. This coin is a must have for any Morgan Collector. The die break on the Scarface is so awesome that it goes well beyond mere VAM territory. matteproof
    Remember Lots Wife
  • Options
    . . . . MERE vam territory???

Doug
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    Need you ask? image I'm a VAMer, and I too think the '87 Vam 12 should have more significance than it does among VAM collectors, but, I also disagree with the significance mattefproof would place on the "Scarface" variety. I guess it all depends on what phenomena attracts you. I'm more into doubled dies, doubled dates, over/dual mintmarks and such, and less into die breaks and gouges, but a VAMer nonetheless.

Apparently, the die break collectors have a huge following OR a great manner VAM collectors are more interested in the Top100 or Hot50 Morgan/Peace Dollars.

Sorry, but although some of those ARE of great interest to me, there are quite a few on those lists that I don't find desirable. I do monitor what is assigned to the Top100 and Hot50, but I don't always agree with what someone else deems to be collectible.

But that's why we are called VAMers and not Top100/Hot50 collectors. image I guess its, whatever floats your boat. image
    Gilbert
  • Options
    The scarface is as common as dirt in circulated grades. I've got about six or seven VG to AU's. They are only rare in Mint State.
    Doug
  • Options
    There are several interesting VAMS...

DMWJR:

I do look for the "E" reverses...I only have three and I'm still looking for the 89-0

As for Double Dies (excluding the 1878 VAM 44), the 1888-o VAM 4 (I think that is the hot lips variety) and the 1901 VAM 3 are a must for any complete Morgan set of Business Strikes.

There are some others that are interesting and somewhat under appreciated such as the 1887-o VAM2 which features a significantly repunched date. I still think the rarest and perhaps most desirable are the micro "o"s associated with the 1896-o, 1900-o and 1902-o.

Does anyone out there look for rotated reverses or broadstruck Morgans?

• Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭

Here's one of my favorites: A VAM-38 7/5 TF. The pizza-sized image is included to show the detail of the obverse doubling.

• Options

<< <i>The scarface is as common as dirt in circulated grades. I've got about six or seven VG to AU's. They are only rare in Mint State. >>

Hi dmwjr. Thank you for the info on the Scarface. You have a nice group of them! 6 examples is very impressive. I've had a much more difficult time locating the 1888-O Scarface. If you submitted your six examples to PCGS right now you would tilt the pop reports (there are only 5 certified at PCGS as of today).

The "mere VAM" comment was not intended as it may have come off. Vams are very cool (I just happen to think the Scarface is super cool). image Good luck with your vams dmwjr. Thanks!

matteproof
    Remember Lots Wife
  • Options
    WWW;

great photo of a nice looking 1878 VAM38...

• Options
    Can I admit I had a mind warp? I wish I could blame it on booze, but I don't drink!

I was talking to someone about the "Hot Lips" and that was what I had on my brain when I said that about the scarface. When I read the latest posts to the thread, I immediately recognized my mistake. The "Hot Lips" variety is overhyped in my opinion, and the scarface is too, but I retract my earlier statement about them being as common as dirt. That is true for the "Hot Lips" in circulated grades, but not the Scarface. I know I could have edited the earlier post, but I didn't feel like that would be fair.

That's the trouble with VAM addicts. There are sooooo many different and awesome varieties. For almost every variety you will find in any other series, there is probably a Morgan Dollar out there with the same thing. The series is truly amazing!

Doug
  • Options
    I like the extreme doubling on the 15 through 23 on the 1878 8TF's. The 23 is one of my favorites because you can get it in higher grades with DMPL surfaces. Same with the 7/8 Vam 38, 41, and of course the doubling on the reverse of the 33/44 which is fabulous.

A nice set and a fun challenge is the 1878 8TF series, ignoring the ultra grades of 14.4 to 14.20. The key is the VAM 9, which is the first die ever used for a Morgan Dollar. It is an interesting story on how it was discovered as the first one. The 8TF set as described is very doable in MS, but the VAM 9. That coin is about $350 in F-12. A mint state example (if you can find one) is thousands.

Also, a good starter set is to collect an example of each of the major obverses and major reverses. That's only about a dozen coins, and can be done in MS at an affordable price.

Anyone interested in learning more about VAMs should check out www.vamlink.com.

Doug
  • Options
    Here are pics of four "E" reverses. I can't seem to find the picture of my 1878 VAM 84, which is the other one.

1886-O V-1A#1.jpg

1888-O V-1A#1.jpg

1889-O V-1A#1.jpg

1891-O V-1A#1.jpg
    Doug
  • Options
    vam44vam44 Posts: 291
    Can anyone tell me if the 1902 vam4 is as "easy" as the top 100 book says it is? I have looked at 100`s of `02`s with no luck.Sleeper?

I have found probably 80 or so of the top 100,lately I concentrate on about 20 of the more obvious/more $$$ vams,it has been fun and profitable.The `78 P`s are the toughest as there are so many, and of these, the differences can be hard to discern,especially on circ.pieces.
    A dealer once asked me if I noticed any three-legged buffalos on the bourse,to which I replied,"...no,but I saw alot of two-legged jackasses..."
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Just like one.

Hot Lips!
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options

<< <i>Can I admit I had a mind warp? I wish I could blame it on booze, but I don't drink! >>

Hi dmwjr. Thank you for the comments. I get mind warps all of the time too! Mind warps come from looking at pretty women and spending too much money on coins! image

You are correct that the 1888-O "hot lips" vam is fairly available in lower grades; though it is very tough in mid AU and above.

The 1888-O "Scarface" however is scarce across the spectrum. The numismatic community is only very recently discovering exactly HOW scarce the Scarface really is. The Scarface is a "must have" for Morgan collectors; even those who may not specialize in vams. There are MANY Morgan Dollar collectors and NOT many 1888-O Scarface Morgan Dollars. I can't imagine an "advanced" Morgan Dollar collection without an example of the Scarface.

Anacs and NGC have been certifying the "Scarface" for a number of years. PCGS wisely recently started. Since PCGS slabs are perceived by some to be definitive, one might reasonably expect that a number of the Anacs and NGC examples will get cracked and submitted to PCGS. Indeed, I would not be surprised to learn if such crackouts already exist within the scant five examples that makeup the current PCGS population. Thanks dmwjr. matteproof
    Remember Lots Wife
  • Options
    1902 VAM 4 is not that easy.
    Doug
  • Options
    Went to a coin shop in Northern Virginia a couple of saturdays ago and in the silver dollar tray was a 1878 8TF for $120.00. The reverse was face up showing a very deep mirrored reverse. The dealer indicated that it would be alot more expensive if it had a deep mirrored obverse. Knowing that all reverses, and obverses didn't necessarily marry up as regards to mirrored surfaces I purchased the coin for $110.00, and hurried home to look it up in my VAM book. The coin is an easy 63 graded conservatively. Coin turns out to be a VAM 14-4 which only ever shows up with a deeply mirrored reverse, and also to boot a concave reverse. About 2 to 3 times more money than the average VAM variety in MS63.
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    Can anyone tell me if the 1902 vam4 is as "easy" as the top 100 book says it is? I have looked at 100`s of `02`s with no luck.Sleeper?

I take it you were being facetious using "easy?" Last time I checked it listed as R6 to R8, XF and MS63 respectively.

Since PCGS slabs are perceived by some to be definitive, one might reasonably expect that a number of the Anacs and NGC examples will get cracked and submitted to PCGS.

With as little attribution as PCGS does, I wonder if that is true. I hardly ever come across "attributed" varieties in PCGS slabs, particularly if one wants a uniform looking set. Looks to me like it is easier to trade them at Vam values when attributed, thus, ANACS - SEGS - PCI and NGC. Actually, I'm surprised at the number of them sent to SEGS, which I believe SSDC has adopted as their official service. Maybe the relationship with SSDC and SEGS warrants more accuracy when dealing with Vams. I would welcome any comments on that topic.

BTW, it is refreshing to hear this much input regarding Vam dollars
    Gilbert
  • Options
    Seasoned Vammers remind me of the EAC copper guys. They really are allot more concerned with the coin than the plastic. I suppose if PCGS began attributing ALL of the varieties, there would be some movement over there. Like with early coppers, you will find as many attribution mistakes on holders.

Additionally, some of the ultra rare VAMS have only been found in "cleaned" or damaged condition, which wouldn't get them in a holder anyway, and those are precisely the ones I would want in an attributed holder.
    Doug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file