Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Hey Merc People Add your sets twice!

fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
I don't think it is fair that you can add the same set with and without varieties in the Mercury Dime set, so to prove a point I have added a new set Oh what the heck if they will let me register the same set twice, I may as well go for it!

I have the flame suit on!!!

Add your set twice too.

Comments.

Edited to fix link.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• Options
    Hey,
    I have 3 sets listed, and as soon as I am through with this one (2more dimes)
    I will start to work on the duplicate set
    Tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
    I did the same this afternoon. Got to #8.
    Merc collector.
  • Options
    John,

My point is I would like to see each person have to choose one or the other and not use their set in both cases. The upside is for someone like you who is over 90% is that you should be able to double the amount of free submissions by using both sets. Other than that it give a false indication of how many sets are out there!

Everyone, keep making those doubles and let's see if we can prove a point!

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    I had the same thought several months ago, and deleted my second set. But, that is not to say, I did it sway anyone else to think the way you and I do, but mearly wanted to make a silent statement as well. Good luck, but remember we all are individuals, and that is what makes this hobby so so great, we all collect for different reasons. Have fun with it, but dont let it keep you from doing what you do best, and that is focus on the mercs.......... imageimage
    Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
  • Options
    Dennis,

It doesn't bug me too much, and I know others will have their point of view, but if the same set can be listed twice, and that is the way they want the sets to be, then let's everyone list on both. There is an advantage if you hit 90% you get twice the freebies!

Tony

• Options
    Good point Tony... but I think they (PCGS) will catch on to that one for sure.image
    Dennis

My Dimes

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does this mean I can take one of my extra Mercs and start a new set then delete dimes out of the main set into the new set untill it hits 90% and get more freebies ? Heck this could be done about twenty five times. Wow 100 Freebies....I'm on it now. See you in a couple of weeks after all of these sets get entered. image

You know my thoughts on the two set thing and short sets and medium sets. image

Ken

• Options
    Carol or BJ did it for me when they first added the variety sets, and they've been there ever since. I may never get the other varieties, but my micro S is a killer coin.
    If you want to "compete", wouldn't you want to have all of your competitors listed? My basic set is just my varieties set minus the micro S, and I see no problem with that.

Don
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options
    I never took into account the free gradings. Looking at my sets, I think 14 of them qualify for free gradings. That must be 20+ free. Thanks for the tipoff. I don't know how I missed that one? John
    Merc collector.
  • Options
    Don you have a heck of a point. I made the decision to just have the Basic Set just because right now, and in the forseeable future, there is no intention to buy a overdate. I sort of wish the Micro S would be put into the Basic Set as many folks own this coin, me included. Many just do not care to own the overdates though. It is too bad two sets must be entered to show the Micro S. As always just a HO.

Ken
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the first "varieties" sets were listed for Washington quarters, PCGS duplicated the basic sets the the varieties area for those who requested it. I had a complete basic set, and one of the varieties (which had been optional up till that time), and planned to eventually obtain other varietes, but not all of them. I wanted to be given credit for the varieties that I owned at the time, and shot to the #1 position. More varieties have been added to that series, but some of them are simply priced beyond my means, so I'm currently at #5, with no plans to add any more coins.

In the Merc series, I have a micro S in 64FB, and hope to own the overdates someday, but I probably won't enter coins in the Merc variety set until I have those 2 coins. It would be nice to be able to "double dip" with the free gradings, but I don't have much luck finding high grade better date raw Mercs. If I was able to find some NGC coins that I thought would cross over, I might be tempted, but that's been shown to be a risky game.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    I listed my Jeffersons only in the w/ varieties set. Then other folks were talking about the basic set. They were nice enough to ask me to also list my set there.

I also have several coins doing double or even triple duty in my type sets.

It is fun to add a coin to several sets. It was also fun where there were few sets and many folks were all working on the same set.
  • Options
    Don,

Is it really competition if the same set is listed in two places. I am going to use a car show example here.

You have a nice Fairlane convertible and you enter it into a show for 1960 to 1964 Fairlanes. There is a category for original and modified. The car can only be original or modified, not both. The rules state an original car must be no more than 5% from factory specs (to allow for things like better tires or other safety issues). Technically can you enter the car in both? It is modified by 5%.

I guess if the majority thinks I am a purist, and I am wrong, I would like to encourage everyone to list their coin in both! What the heck you could be in 13th place in two registry sets, wouldn't that make you proud!

Tony

• Options
    Ken,

Maybe PCGS could offer a basic set, and the added set would be varieties only! 1941/42, 1941/42-D, and 1945 Micro s.

Think about it if the point would be who has the best set in each category, this would allow true competition.

Tony

• Options
    Tony only one thing wrong with having a 60 to 64 Fairlane Convert. None were made. image The first Fairlane Convert, Mid Size Fairlane, was 66 and man I wish I had one. Big Block and 4 Speed.....then those Rice Burners would have no Chance. image

Ken
  • Options
    Ken,

I guess you can really tell I am a Chevy fan, I can't even get my years right on the Fords. Anyway you get the point.

Tony

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    when you two go back 'n forth I feel like I'm in a car show or something .......sheez
  • Options
    Marc other interests are healthy also. What ya say ? Once a collector always a collector. Be it Cars or Mercs. Sheez ! image

Ken
  • Options
    Now, throw in a 75 Plymouth Duster 340 HP in the mix, and youve got a real good race...lol
    Dennis

My Dimes

• Options
    Three cars wide going into the corner...

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    Racing after this NGC 43S MS67FB Toned Coin........and of course the Fairlane Wins. image

Another Newbie today.

Ken
  • Options
    Just put my Variety Set in the Registry. image Ended up in last place. image Cannot see getting any higher either. image If you want to look its the number 26 set.

Ken

......imageimageimageimageimage.......
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me put one of my Corvette's into the race.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    Pat good to see that car again. I really think it will Smoke anything on this thread........For Sure. image

Ken
  • Options
    Heres to big-block vettes. Those are my babies. LS-6 yea baby. JVoege
    Merc collector.
  • Options
    Pat,

Nice!

• Options
    Tony I do appreciate a cool car as you can see.....even if it is a Chevy. Brute power Rules. Split Window Vettes are just plain cool, 1963 wasn't it ? Probably one of them was the fastest street production car I ever had the pleasure of riding in. I for sure Nail you too the seat car.

Ken
  • Options
    Ken,

Recently I spent two week on vacation is souther CA. A friend of my brother's lent me a Laforza for a week. Wow, a nice Italian SUV with a Ford 302 and a supercharger. Oh what fun. That thing had no trouble what-so-ever climbing those mountains.

Tony