Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

ALL WASHINGTON QUARTER COLLECTORS

I have examined tens of thousands of Statehood quarters beginning with 1999 and have noticed something "different" occurring on ONLY the 2002 Indiana P and the Mississippi P quarters and ONLY ones from the mint sets. I have not found this on any other P mint quarters, any D mint quarters, or on any clad or sivler proofs I have examined. The "hair braid" on Washington is NOT connected to the rest of his hair. There is about 1/32 of an inch space at the back of Washington's head between where his hair ends and where the hair that is gathered and tied begins. Also, above Washington's ear there is a pronounced "shining" area where no hair appears at all. I know that what I am describing can happen with extensive polishing of a die. I have found more of these quarters from Iniana than from Mississippi. Since the Washington die is used for more than one quarter with a particular state reverse, I am assuming that perhaps one Washington P mint die used for the mint sets was polished excessively toward the end run of the Indiana quarter and then used for a short time more on the next Mississippi P issue. I have found more Indiana's with this "different look" than Mississippi's. The high grade ones with this look seem to be extremely difficult to find and the percentage of all the ones I have found is very very low. When you know what you are looking for on these issues the "different look" I am talking about is quite obvious. Have any of you out there found any of these? Please let me know about your finds and thoughts concrning this apparent oddity. Thanks.

Donn Murphy

D.M.

Comments

• Options
    No quarters, but I do have a few 2002 kennedys with a wider part in his hair ,like you said most likely due to die over polishing.image

Pennies make dollars, and dollars make slabs!

....inflation must be kicking in again this dollar says spend by Dec. 31 2004!

Erik
  • Options

<< <i>I have examined tens of thousands of Statehood quarters >>

Man that is sad image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Eye. I'll be watching.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Donn: Interesting. Can you mail me down a sample of each one?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    eyeeye Posts: 81
    Wondercoin:
    I will mail you an Indiana P MS68 and a Mississippi P MS68 tomorrow. These are excellent examples of what I have found. When you compare them with any other State Quarters you have, you will see the difference immediately.
    Regards,
    Donn
    D.M.
  • Options
    WhitewashqtrWhitewashqtr Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    Donn

Any chance you could post your find in a scan on this thread?

Thanks
    HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!
  • Options
    Whitewashqtr:
    I am hoping to purchase a scanner or a digital camera this Summer so I am not equiped to meet your request at this time. I did send an example of each coin to Wondercoin. If you contact him and there is enough interest, perhaps you could talk him into scanning the coins for registry members. Anyway, thanks for your interest and inquiry.
    Regards,
    Donn
    D.M.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what do you think, Mitch(Wondercoin)? Is it interesting?
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CK: I am in St Louis. I probably won't see Eye's coins until next week.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    BNEBNE Posts: 772
    I am wondering whether the effect isn't caused by a combination of both the lower-relief redesign and dies that are placed a little too far apart. Considering that our coins are about as flat as a pancake nowimage a soft strike could really destroy design elements. . . .
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • Options
    jonesyjonesy Posts: 5,031
    Hey Eye, Since WonderCoin won't be in, Send those MS68's to me!!image
    Glenn
  • Options
    BNE:
    The same thing you mention had crossed my mind. Since the Washington's "different look" is the same on ONLY the Indiana P and the Mississippi P, I am assuming only one obverse die is involved. The reverse of both is affected too. The race car on Indiana has easily obserable detail missing which is similar to what happened to the three leg Buffalo and the 22 plain cent. The Mississippi is missing some detail on the magonlia leafs but it is not as easily seen by the naked eye. My observation based on the amount of these two quarters I have seen leads me to believe there are many fewer Mississippi's affected this way than Indiana's. At any rate, I have no idea of how many of these two quarters were produced this way. I have never yet seen any others not coming from mint sets or ANY others of any mint mark or dates in the Statehood series so far. I suspect the total number of high grade ones is very small. Let's wait until the "Godfather" of quarters returns gives us his analysis.
    Donn
    D.M.