Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What coin (under $1000, that you do not have) do you find the most interesting?

And I would like you to tell me why you find that particular coin interesting.
image"Darkside" gold

Comments

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    2000 Library of Congress bimetalic. It is just an interesting coin (even though it is a modern).

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are tons of darkside coins that could easily win the #1 spot, but I'll play fair. I had a Seated Half about five years ago that had been nicely engraved as a badge for a Civil War sentry. I think I sold it for about $800. I'd love to have it back for $1000.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ttt

This is a great question that deserves an answer!
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    St. Gaudens any date any grade under $1,000

Tyler
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if they exist because I have never seen one, but a No Cents Liberty Nickel with "original" gold plating.

Just trying to imagine who tried to counterfeit the coin and how they tried to pass it off.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    Not sure if they exist because I have never seen one, but a No Cents Liberty Nickel with "original" gold plating.

They're out there! I've seen a couple dozen over the years. (I can't swear that they are "original", but who would counterfeit them?)
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    There are many colonial coins that fit that description. It's an area in which I wish I could be more involved. Massachusetts coins are particularly attractive in my opinion. I also like the New Jersey coppers.

Dan
  • Options
    DracoDraco Posts: 512
    Put another X by the 2000 Library of Congress bi-metalic. Still looking for my PR69 version of one.
  • Options
    ttt

Dammit, you people can't figure out how to spend $1000? I'm calling it a night. Bye.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    zennyzenny Posts: 1,549
    tough to come up with one under 1k that i don't have. make it 10k and i'll have a list of ten......

just for the heck of it I'll say flowing hair half dime in as good a grade as i can get - (although I would rather it be on my list of 10k coins).

z

edited to add why: i love the scrawny little bird on the scrawny little coin.
  • Options
    numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

I would send $1000 for a Bust Dollar,any one that is worth the money,even today.I also like proof Indian Head cents,I could get a few of these.Lots more but,this is the top of my list.
    NUMO
  • Options
    1877 IHC. I looked at several of them raw a couple of months ago. In each case the date was impared in a way that I just wasn't comfortable with.
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    I was looking at a lot of them this weekend. Proof Conder tokens from the 1790's struck from hand punched/engraved dies. I bought two of them but they are chocolate brown and the scanner can't image them well. I'll have to see if I can get pictures with a digital camera.
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    $20 lib, any date, ms or better.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    I go with the 1877 IHC - could pick up a real nice AU in brown for that price!

would also fill the biggest hole in my IHC set!
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...........Pillar Dollar!!!!!!! 2 bits, 4 bits, 6 bits a dollar. how can you not like a coin that has a sweet little ditty like that associated with it??

i'm steadily growing towards the thinking that there are certain coins that should be in a collection if you're to be considered a reale collector!! image i mean, hey, here's a coin that influenced our whole monetary system and circulated into the mid 19th century. is that cool, or what?!?!? and if you had one and needed a quarter? pull out that pocket knife. talk about versatility, try to cut a piece off of a clad coin. with a ginsu maybe!!

a local dealer i know has a 1740 ANACS in VF that's designated as Shipwreck Salvaged. i posted about it a few weeks ago, just haven't bought it yet. when i do, i will become a Reale collector!!

al h.image
  • Options

Attractive copper, large and half cents.
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    A flowing hair type half would be nice.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This (below) was the most recent coin under $1000 that I found interesting, offered by Doug Winter. Unfortunately, seven others found it interesting faster than I found it interesting. There is a recent long thread on the relative merits of owning a 1999 NJ quarter MS-68 for $2500. Frankly, I would rather have this Eagle and the balance ($1575) in the S&P 500 than the $2500 1999 quarter.

1847-O EAGLE
    GRADED ABOUT UNCIRCULATED-55 BY NGC

There is no such thing as a common No Motto New Orleans ten dollar gold piece, especially when one looks at the number of coins extent in higher grades. Any date is scarce in About Uncirculated-55 or better and all are quite rare in Uncirculated.

This is an exceptional coin for the grade. Unlike nearly every known 1847-O eagle, it is very well struck and has clean, defect-free surfaces. The color is a pleasing natural medium green-gold. From a visual standpoint, this piece has the look of an AU-58 and I have actually seen less attractive No Motto eagles in Uncirculated holders.

As of May 2003 PCGS had graded seventeen examples in AU-55 with fifteen better while NGC records thirty-seven AU-55's with forty-nine better. These figures are inflated considerably by resubmissions. Trends is $1,100 in AU-55 and it jumps to $2,000 in AU-58.

1847-O $10.00
    Graded AU-55 by NGC
    $925 at www.raregoldcoins.com

• Options
    lclugzalclugza Posts: 568 ✭✭
    Maybe a high grade Braided Har large cent or Proof Buffalo.
    image"Darkside" gold
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    any low-end bar copper

K S
  • Options
    Any gold coin, it doesn't matter what grade or type image
  • Options
    Even though I'm not into walkers, I'd someday like to get the highest grade obtainable for under 1000 dollars of the 38 D walker because it's the last buisness strike U. S. coin with a mintage under 1 million coins [actually under one half million]

Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    RBB617RBB617 Posts: 497 ✭✭
    A Liberty Head $10 gold piece MS64 or better. That would comple my 1907 gold set, I am putting together in honor of my favorite grandfather (deceased).
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Three dollar gold. I find them interesting because the odd denomination and low number struck by modern standards and the time period they were used.

You can find some dates for under $1000 in mid grade circulated.
    The only thing I do not like is the size, about the same as a modern nickel.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    A decent draped bust coin. Cent or half.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    With regard to the Library of Congress Bimetallic coins, I don't think you can even acquire one for less than $1,000 now. They've gone through the roof. My favorite coins under $1,000 would be any draped bust series coin simply because of the history, worn or not.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    anything silver with a small eagle reverse. AG or better if otherwise problem free, or Fine or better details with minor problems.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file