Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Decapitation Medal of 1579

Check this out! Isn't it interesting?

imageimage

imageimageimage
.....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22

Comments

• Somewhat of a Freudian sign for you? Losing your head over coins, so to speak?
    Nice interesting piece! I'd like to know the history behind it if it's not been lost.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    It's from the Netherlands, 1579. It commemorates the execution of two counts, Hoorn and Egmont, who apparantly got on somebody's bad side. That's all I know about it, but I can give you the Latin inscriptions. Obv: PRAESTAT PUGNARE PRO PATRIA. Obv: QUAM SIMULATA PACE DECIPI. It's 30 mm in diameter and weighs 5.65 grams.

What a reality check! They sure don't make coins the way they used to!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    I want 1jester on my Jeopardy team!! image
    Wondo

Then you'll be singing that Weird Al Yankovic song, "I lost on Jeopardy, Baby"!!!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• WOW!! Cool execution coin.image
    TRADERBOBZBLOG
    An open mind will support transformation.
    Recognize life is full of change
    and celebrate the opportunity.
    "There is always a way to collect,Never surrender the hobby"
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    "My friends got beheaded in the Netherlands and all I got was this lousy coin."

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
    I suppose Holland has become a bit more tolerant over the centuries?image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Hey - at one time - the penalty was death for defacing/debasing a coin here in the US. They kinda frowned on counterfeiters image
    knowledge ........ share it
  • AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Now that's really different!! I've not seen one before! Let me know if you come across another one.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
    ASkari, it's not mine. PM sent.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Would that be from Vlad the impaler?image
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • That's pretty cool.image
  • So this post is not a "heads up", it's a "head's off" image

Very interesting medal. I've never seen anything like it.

Marcel
    Ebay user name: 00MadMuffin00
    ttt.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Well they have been sticking around for a long timeimage
  • laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    An Askari sighting!

Nice medal, nicer to see an Askari post!image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

<< <i>An Askari sighting!

Nice medal, nicer to see an Askari post!image >>

Yes, but unfortunately it was 3 1/2 years ago!! I wish he'd come back.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"My friends got beheaded in the Netherlands and all I got was this lousy coin." >>

That's a very image and unusual coin. I've never seen anything like it image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.