Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

What would you do...

If you knew the coins you already own, and the one's you're going to buy, will be worth 25% of what you paid for them when you decided to sell your collection.

Would you still collect? How about buying less expensive, lower graded coins? Would you buy today's high flyers? Low pop and pop 1 coins from the 18th and 19th century?

Dan

Comments

• Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    I would still collect but I would go cheaper than I currently buy.

I collect for love of the coins but I still like to think my coins will hold their
    value (or increase).

-KHayse
  • Options
    25% image Probably not..image
    Glenn
  • Options
    that's still a better return than golf, right?
  • Options
    Don't care much about my disposable funds, unless you can tell me when I'm going to die, and if I'll care after that?
    redhott
  • Options
    I'm in it for the fun of collecting. Of course it would always be in the back of my mind that the value of my coins are doing a swan dive. But, they'll come backup in value!
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    I'd take a couple zeroes off of my budget and join my daughter in scavenging rolled coins to fill my Whitmans.image
    Wondo

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    if if if.... but IF I KNEW they were going to drop 75% of their value, I would certainly sell. Then buy more stuff later. Besides, a lot of the fun is in the hunt.

David
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would post this on the forum were it belongsimage.Al
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I would keep collecting until the price dropped 25% then I would sell.

After they quadroupled in value again, I would start accumulating until they hit the 25% level again.

Kinda like I do now
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    Relayer, so your motto has been "buy high, sell low" - kinda like mine.image
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Is this a question of ability to be stubborn? The only thing owned that I would keep, knowing of an upcoming 25% drop in value, may be a home, and only if the wife was emotionally attached to it. To me, a perceived 25% drop in coins would indicate "sell".
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Is this a question of ability to be stubborn?

Not really. There are many hobbies that return pleasure for money. Some have used the example of golf. Bowling, trap shooting, etc. are other examples too, of a hobby you can enjoy without getting your money back.

Personally, as a collector, my focus is not to build a Registry set/collection for financial gain, rather the enjoyment I get out of it/them. Having said that, some of the coins I've purchased over the past 15 years have appreciated nicely. That makes me wonder about timing the market for a nice profit. Then I stand back and think of how much I would miss what I no longer have.

Dan