Home Q & A Forum

A thought for a new cross over policy/process

David, as a loyal PCGS user I wanted to offer-up a thought on cross overs. Today, when submitting a cross over, several options are available. Submit the coin and have it crossed over at whatever the grade; Submit the coin with a specific minimum grade; or the historic...submit the coin at no less than what it is graded at by the 'other service'.

There are many reasons why people collect coins and have them encapsulated - some for the enjoyment, some for the profit. I guess I fall between the two. The suggestion that I would offer may be a bit complicated but play with the idea (kick it around) and I am sure that many of the PCGS collectors will love you for it. Using the premise that the average collector has an idea about grades but they are certainly not graders and their opinion may differ greatly from the actual grade received. Suppose for example, I sumitted an older Buffalo nickel, graded by a lesser service as a MS65. I submit it using one of the referenced guidleines above. How many times does one submit a coin, assuming that it will cross as a 65 with PCGS - in fact it does not. Well, what would it have have crossed for? Maybe if a call or an e-mail was sent (for a fee) saying.... your coin graded by _____ service as a MS65, would get crossed as a MS63. Do you wish it crossed? Charge for the service but also allow the submitted the chance to determine if they want to get the coin crossed or not.

Sounds like too much paperwork and coin handling? Not if you charged for it and put a limit on the time it takes for the submitted to get with you. No answer, then you return the coin.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling - I like your services and your standards.

Comments

• homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    We are actually working at implementing a very similar service right now. Thanks for the suggestion...David