Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Which of these factors affect your decision about which Registry set(s) to pursue?

To those of you who assemble Registry sets and care to reply - I am curious as to which of these considerations affect your decision about which sets to pursue:

1) Whether you think there is a realistic possibility you can complete the entire set?

2) Whether you think you can end up with the #1 rated set?

2A) If your answer to #2 above is no, how high in the rankings would you feel you would want/need to be in order to pursue the set?

3) How long you think the set might take to complete?

4) How much you like the coins (including their design, history, etc.) that comprise the set?

5) Whether you think the set presents a sufficient challenge to complete - in other words, might it be too easy to assemble?

6) How much work and time might be required to complete the set?

7) What your opinion is of the investment potential of the coins that will constitute your set?

8) Does the historic collectibility of the set have any influence on your decision?

9) Would it matter if a good friend of yours were already working on the same set?

10) Other considerations?

Thanks, in advance, for your replies.

Comments

• Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Mark,

You could add #11:

How easily can you buy and sell needed coins on eBay. image

Dan
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    DAM, I thought I might get at least two or three replies before the Ebay thing came up.imageimage
  • Options
    I'd say 4, 8, and 1.

The ideal situation for me would be a "cold series" aloowing me to find the choice coins. Witht he Hot series (i.e. Lincolns) the prices and quality are insane...

Rich
  • Options
    That's a big list. I'll tell you mine.
    I collect series that are first of interest to me. The beauty of the coin sells me on the series. Then I determine if I have a realistic chance of completing the set in high enough grade that most won't be able to compete. For instance, I collect most of the current series, but don't try to get registry quality coins. Ikes, Roosevelts, Jeffersons, Kennedys, Mem Lincolns, really anything post 1965. I love the Mercury series as they are hard to complete in high grade but not impossible. That thins out the competition. Then I also collect the entire American bullion coins in proof because they are just beautiful coins. Soon I'll enter my Peace dollar set which is to me an awesome coin.
    Just MHO
    Merc collector.
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    4, 7, 1, and 5, in that order. The others are of little or no importance to me.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    Ok, ok... on a serious note now.

With a few exceptions, I've usually collected by type. Until the Registry came along, I had my Two Cents, the beginnings of a 3SC set, and the beginnings of a proof Liberty Nickel set.

I decided to assemble a couple of type sets because I had a number of nice coins in my collection that would fit. Coins I didn't have were from series I didn't collect, for example Barber coinage. I didn't collect Modern coins either. By participating in Type Sets, my collecting interests have expanded.

To answer your questions directly:

1. No affect. The pursuit is what interests me.
    2. Doesn't matter. Winning isn't everything. You can't always be number 1. There's always someone out there that's better.
    2A. Doesn't matter. As high as my disposable income will allow. Also, since I'm working on multiple sets, that has to be considered too.
    3. To me, setting a completion date may force me to purchase a coin/coins I may not like just to plug a hole. They get done, when they're done.
    4. Very important. I'll only start a set/sets I'm interested in.
    5. That might pertain to grade. The sets I'm working on are anything but easy.
    6. Not an issue
    7. If you're interested in building a set for investment purposes only, you're an invester... not a collector. I'm a collector. This is my main hobby. Having said that, I see investment potential in the coins I own. But, that's not why I collect.
    8. No
    9. No
    10. I've noticed over the past couple of years a reduction of "quality PCGS coins". By that I mean, where there might have been 10 coins available in a particular series or date range, in a specific grade range, the number has lessoned considerably because of the number of coins taken off the market to complete sets. Until collectors start selling off some of these sets, or other "fresh" coins from older collections become available, I think we collectors will continue be forced to consider a somewhat stagnant pond of coins to chose from.

I hope this is what you were looking for. imageimage
    Dan
  • Options
    I wanted something I liked that I could complete and hopefully be #1. I like Cameo Proof coins and Jefferson nickels. I also liked some other series but Jeffs looked doable because they weren't all that popular.

Now I am on to the complete type set. There is no way I'll be #1. For a while there I didn't think I could ever finish. Now I have decided to pursue some subsets of the complete set first. These keep me interested and are milestones to my holy grail.
  • Options
    For myself and the people I talk to it is the joy and fun of the coin series. The last consideration is the investment or the return on investment.

Todd
    Todd Abbey
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I'd have to go for none of the above. I collect for my enjoyment. My type set that I'm working on I don't even WANT to complete as there are too many coins in it that I don't consider to be part of a complete type set, e.g. Rolled edge/wire edge $10 gold, etc.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    BIGDAVEBIGDAVE Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭
    1 yes
    2 no
    3 top 10
    7 most important

the rest does not matter to me
  • Options
    Tom, you did go with one of the above - #10 (other considerations) and that is a most excellent one!image
  • Options
    1. Yes.
    2. Top 5 is fine.
    3. As President Bush says "As long as it takes".
    4. I like all series of coins and wish I could do them all.
    5. A high Grade Set is tough to complete in any series but most sets can be assembled in MS64,65,66 at a reasonable cost.
    6. Not a lot of work or time. The Hunt for the right Coins is the challange and the Fun of completing a set.
    7. If investment is your GOAL you are in the wrong business.
    8. Not really.
    9.It would help if a good friend was doing the same Set you could work together and help each other out.
    10.Not really.
    FORMER # 1 NOW # 3 ON ALL TIME FINEST CLAD QUARTER COLLECTION

PCGS THE ONLY WAY TO GO

Ed
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer a question with a question? Why do you want to know?
  • Options
    RegistryCoin,

In answer to your question - I am truly curious and thought/hoped that this could possibly lead to some interesting discussion.
  • Options
    Really? After your last thread on this forum, it is seemingly clear that you have no interest in adding something positive here. Could I be in error, that your last topic posted was not positive, perhaps disruptive, or wholely unnecessary?
    Now you seem to have a serious, yet curious interest. I have wondered about your intentions since you entered the forumS. I haven't done any business with Katy since your entry here. What really is your reason for rocking the boat (read: curiousity) over here on the Reg. forum?
    Most seriously, Mark, I looked forward to some positive forum discussion with you too. I was wondering if you had any cool stories of your relative, B. Max Mehl. He was kinda a hero of mine...
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    99% of the threads on this board are selling threads, one person starts a discussion thread and gets flamed. No wonder no one comes here.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    That may be a good point. I think it points out the liquidity of registry coins.
    ps. Who cares if few(er) come here, so long as we have our dbldie55...image
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "To those of you who assemble Registry sets and care to reply - I am curious as to which of these considerations affect your decision about which sets to pursue"

Registrycoin: Isn't it somewhat obvious what is behind the question -"pure marketing information wanted", which is what most dealers would love to know about prospective customers. Someone once said that EVERYONE on these boards is here for a specific reason. Hey, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH DESIRING THIS MARKETING INFORMATION. Remember, EVERYONE is here for a reason. A few members should remember that when they cast aspersions (tacitly or expressly) about others here

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Number 4 and only Number 4. To say that I was not concerned with what might be made, money wise, or lost would be a lie. Of course I am but that has no bearing right now. The chips will fall where they may. This is Fun Money being spent with a reward of having a tangible item after the spending. Not like Golf where you just get PO'ed and forget about the experience.

On the Registry part. I have been collecting the same thing for 20+ years off and on. The Registry just happens to be a place to meet people and discuss the coins from time to time. Most Coin Board Folks do not understand this. Sad but True. Maybe you could go educate those coinees.

Ken
  • Options
    WC

Wasn't a Agenda stated when joiing these forums by the mentioned person. Man I'm getting old but I believe that statement is remembered clearly. Gotta have that Web Site plastered everywhere possible. Heck its only good business as long as you do not upset the populace very much. To stomp on a few is fine though.

Ken
  • Options
    Points well taken Fairlane and WC. Can't we just collect, sell, buy reg. coins, and have fun, TOGETHER??? I just don't see the necessity for the negativity, or the fishy, flip-floppy, roundabout-ness. There are few dealers who deal exclusively in REAL "reg. coins", and therein feeds the "top percentage" dealers' jealously, imho.
  • Options
    Here are my reasons for collecting full step Jeffersons:

1) Overall, the difficult challenge of completing a set of full step Jeffersons attracted me to the series.

2) I certified my raw Jeffersons and registered to find out how my set compared.

3) Collecting only Jeffersons for 25 years. No end in sight.

5) I’m beginning to think a complete set of full step Jeffersons may never happen. What can I say I’m a slow learner

7) Investment potential was never even given a thought. However, if the series is discontinued I’m guessing prices will rise considerably.
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    Steve:

I have no problem if this is a marketing question. After all, I hope major dealers like Pinnacle, Mitch, Legend, and others who post here will learn of our interests, in order to provide better service.

Mark:

In considering a set, I first decide whether I like the design of the coin and how they look in high grades. Second, I try to determine if I can realistically afford to finish the set over the course of 1 - 3 years. Third, I look at investment potential. I don't want to spend a lot of money if I think the coins are likely to decline. Fourth, I look at the competition. I don't want to do a registry set if I can't get in at least the top 10, and preferably the top 3. Fifth, I look at the length of the set. Sets that are too long tend to start to get boring. Idea length is 5 to 40 coins. Great series for me on this score would be proof or CS Franklins, CS IKEs, Liberty Nickels, 20th Century Type sets, Any proof Barber series, a later date proof seated series, proof Walkers, Standing quarters, Peace dollars, etc. I did a nice Washington set, but by the time I was done, I just was too bored and decided to sell them. Same with Walkers. I wanted to do an entire set. But, it is just so long and expensive that I gave up the chase, sold many of my pieces, and just keep a few of what I consider the better values. For the same reason, I wouldn't really consider the entire C/N/S type set, a set of Morgans, or a CS Barber or seated set. I hope PCGS launches a basic C/N/S type set for guys like me.

Cheers

Greg
  • Options
    Heck, sincere reg. people regularly post, posture and poll all the time here. I have no problems with a sincere marketing question either. image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a registry set, but I do collect registry quality coins and do expect
    eventually to register them. I started on the moderns almost strictly for invest-
    ment. They did interest me besides because they represented the coins in circu-
    lation which have always fascinated me for the lessons they can impart and the
    stories they can tell.

As the years have gone by, I've found that the coins are just plain fun. There are
    even a few coins in the collection which came straight from circulation and I have
    every reason to believe they are unimprovable! It's not only fun to look for new coins
    and new information but it's also fun to find really nice examples of other scarce coins
    for a song. And it just seems to get more fun all the time.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Now I know why comsicdebris is not around any more. Heck 6 or 7 Polls have not been on the pages for ever, let alone Polls locked in place for a weekend. image
  • Options
    tristarztristarz Posts: 32 ✭✭
    1 & 4. Also I only pursue a set if I have a shot at being in the top 10.
    Montgomery Collections
  • Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Registrycoin: Isn't it somewhat obvious what is behind the question -"pure marketing information wanted", which is what most dealers would love to know about prospective customers. Someone once said that EVERYONE on these boards is here for a specific reason. Hey, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH DESIRING THIS MARKETING INFORMATION. Remember, EVERYONE is here for a reason. A few members should remember that when they cast aspersions (tacitly or expressly) about others here >>

This is one of the reasons that I like the BST type threads on this forum (regardless of if the coins are offered here only or via another forum (such as eBay or Heritage))...available coins and pricing levels are probably the two of the most important types of data available to the collector.

dbldie55,

This is a thread that belongs in this forum by anyone's standards...why try to drag a good thread into flame war territory? Respond to the thread or start your own thought provoking threads, please. Any message board is only as good as what the members put into it. I personally don't mind the BST threads (see above) but do miss more insightful threads and I plan to start adding a bit of content around here myself. Mark has (stopped trolling the forumimage) stepped up to the plate with a good thread; no reason the rest of us can't follow suit and get some good usage out of the boards.

NOW ON TO THE QUESTION AT HAND...responses given and weighted on a ten scale as to importance:

1. Yes. Define realistic though...one set that I am working on I fully intend to finish but I will have to become a multi-millionaire before this will happen. image REASONABLY IMPORTANT (7 out of 10)

2. Depends on the set...in Buffalo Nickels this is impossible (based on current PCGS populations) and also in Lincolns (based on my assumptions) but I do collect one and would love to collect the other. In a set where #1 is a reasonable goal it would be very nice but still not vital. NOT IMPORTANT BUT NICE WHERE APPLICABLE (5 out of 10 if it applies)

2A. Depends again...if my set is 100% complete and the coins have great eye appeal and (usually) some level of conditional rarity then my answer is wherever that set gets me on the chart is good enough.

3. Not at all important to me...could take one year or 50 years depending on the set. NOT AT ALL IMPORTANT (1 out of 10)

4. If I don't like the coin I won't collect it AT ALL. Example: I would love to have a complete CNS type set but only like to collect MS coins. Since the registry set contains some proof only issues I will never complete it, but would still consider MY collection complete. The registry is fun, ego driven competition but it is a guideline NOT LAW. MOST IMPORTANT (10 out of 10)

5. It has to be a challenge of some sort to me. VERY IMPORTANT (8 or 9 out of 10)

6. See (5)...same question IMO.

7. Secondary but always a nice bonus....although VALUE is one aspect of what makes me like a certain series (see (4) above). NOT IMPORTANT BUT ONCE AGAIN NICE (3 out of 10 not counting value which I consider part of #4)

8. Not a factor at all (1 out of 10)

9. Would not cause me to start a set but it is fun to work together with others on a common goal. (1 or 2 out of 10)

RELLA

Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rella, I never said this thread does not belong! This is actually the type of thing that does belong. Still reading things that are not said. RegistryCoin was basically flaming Mark for starting this thread as if there was some motive to it. Since Mark does not think selling should be on this forum, he is being flamed for starting a thread that does belong. Seems if you have certain beliefs, and stick to them, you are not allowed to participate. What ever floats your boat.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    DD55,

<< <i>start your own thought provoking threads, please. Any message board is only as good as what the members put into it. I personally don't mind the BST threads (see above) but do miss more insightful threads and I plan to start adding a bit of content around here myself >>

OK so it is a bit silly to quote myself but let's just simplify what I said before to the above if that's cool. I understand completely what you were up to...in fact I've responded in kind to you in another thread before. Maybe a better way to say it is that many of us (me, you, Mark, RC, etc.) may have been (I'll admit my own wrongdoing here) guilty of troll-like activities here lately and if we just try our best to, when faced with a confrontational post, ignore it and instead refocus our energy to add value to this board...then this board will be a better place.

Mark has led the way by "raising his game" and starting this post...I plan to follow suit in the near future with some topics of my own and hope others will do the same.

RELLA

Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    I have certain beliefs, and stick to them. Am I not allowed to participate? You have certain beliefs, and stick to them. Are you not allowed to participate? Mark may have certain beliefs, I'm not sure.
    He can participate, as far as I'm concerned. I just like the boat floated with a little sincere commentary.
  • Options
    I am only collecting one PCGS Registry Set; the proof Barber quarters. I chose this series because it would be about a 6-10 year commitment for me. I really will eventually reach 100% complete. I only purchase coins that will never have to be upgraded. I expect the collection to always remain in the top 5 when finished.

I love the series because of its rarity and beauty. It is also not a really popular series for a number of reasons, and I don't want to collect the same thing that everyone else is.

Finally it was really important for me to try and complete an entire series of coins that are primarily collected as type. To me this is the real challenge.
  • Options
    ok. i am ready to reply. nobody will see this anyway considering i am about the 40th person to respond.

question one--I think it is nice to be able to complete an entire set. the set i am working on is traditional commems. i bought my first one over ten years ago. i have two left to go. i don't have any plans to buy in the immediate future, but i am confident that one day i will complete the set. my motto: it's always easier to find the coin than it is to find the money.

two--there is no way in the world i would ever be no. one. that's just not a realistic goal.

three--i used to think it would be embarrassing to have too few coins. then i posted my entire merc collection of four certified coins into the Registry and got over the embarrassment.

four--yes, i think it is very important to like coins.

five--yes, i think some sets might be too easy. but i am working on a booker t washington sub-set any way.

six--the more time it takes to complete the set the better. it just adds to the enjoyment. some of these guys just go to the long beach coin show and spend a lot of money and assemble a set. that's not for me. in fact there was an article in the Commemorative Collector magazine a while back about a guy who did just that. He assembled his 50-coin type set in like two years. I have been working on mine for over ten.

seven--my coins are an enjoyment, not an investment. i limit my coin expenditures to beer money.

eight--what's "historic collectibility"?

nine--when i started collecting i was with a small group of friends. one collected circulated 17XX half dollars, one collected circulated sets (mercs, indians, morgans, wash quarters, etc), one collected circulated indians, and i was working on commems. I was the only one interested in certified coins at all. the guy with the 17XX halfs still collects occasionally, the guy with the circulated sets has finished them all with the exception of a 1893S Morgan, and the lady on the Indians fell by the way side. It's much more fun to go to shows with somebody you know. I even joined a coin club and frequented an old fashioned coin shop with a Friday night bid board to get to know other collectors.

ten--it's fun to collect coins i can afford. that's the best thing about the commems--many of the MS64s are from $80 to $300 which fits my budget nicely. I still need a Lafayette and a Hawaiian and those are a stretch for my "beer money." Also, it's a little discouraging that it's tough to upgrade. Even though I bought the MS-64 coin for $80 or $300 six or eight years ago, it's hard to get that much money out of it toward an upgrade.
    Here's to it and to it again.
    If you don't do it when you get to it,
    You'll never get to it to do it again.
  • Options
    Thanks to each of you who took the time to reply to my questions.

I haven't fully digested all of the responses yet, but already know that this is interesting stuff - reading about what motivates different collectors to pursue their set(s) (or not).

RegistryCoin - unfortunately, I don't have any good stories to tell you about my relative B. Max Mehl. Sadly, if memory serves me correctly, I had not yet reached my "terrible twos" when he died. So, I only hear occasional bits and pieces from some family members.

• Options
    #8 and #4
    i love learning the history of the coins and for what purpose they came into existence
    Life's a journey, not a destination.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    1) Whether you think there is a realistic possibility you can complete the entire set?
    No - my Complete Type Set is 24% complete and will probably never go over 50%

2) Whether you think you can end up with the #1 rated set?
    Yes - I did a Modern Commemorative Proof Set just to be #1 in 2002

2A) If your answer to #2 above is no, how high in the rankings would you feel you would want/need to be in order to pursue the set?

3) How long you think the set might take to complete?
    Some influence

4) How much you like the coins (including their design, history, etc.) that comprise the set?
    The main reason

5) Whether you think the set presents a sufficient challenge to complete - in other words, might it be too easy to assemble?
    OK, I admit to having a 2002 Proof Set Registered

6) How much work and time might be required to complete the set?
    Some

7) What your opinion is of the investment potential of the coins that will constitute your set?
    It's always nice to hope somebody dumber than me will come along and pay more than I did one day

8) Does the historic collectibility of the set have any influence on your decision?
    I think that's important

9) Would it matter if a good friend of yours were already working on the same set?
    I have no friends - only non-enemies

#11 - ease of eBay
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    See Mark...

#11 - ease of eBay

I told you, you should have added it. imageimageimage
    Dan