Home Q & A Forum
Options

Haze and frost breaks on proofs

GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭
How does haze and breaks in the frost affect a coin grade? I was under the impression that frost breaks would prevent a coin from getting a DCAM rating at least. I have a 1969S Kennedy that is graded at PR67DCAM. The coin in my opinion should not have made a 67.........the obverse frost has shiny 'rub' marks where the frost is missing from some of the high points of Kennedys hair and cheek. The same on the reverse, with the frost on the lower end of the shield definately missing. Both sides of the coin also have a really ugly haze on the fields. In all reality, I should have returned the coin, but I bought it sight unseen, and it wasn't for very much(I know why now). I'm not looking to invoke the grade review or guarantee, I'm just trying to learn from my mistake and learn the true 'requirements' for a coin to make DCAM. To me, this coin is neither a PR67 nor a DCAMand wanted a second opinion. The pics below are pretty accurate of the coin.

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    The scan doesn't look right ...Send it to me and I'll take care of it one way or the other. Call Julie 949-567-1100 for details...David