Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

My coolest Miscut Acquisition

Okay -- goodness knows that I sometimes pay silly amounts for Mike Schmidt cards in high grade.

Nonetheless -- I acquired a card in the past week that I think has a very, very cool eye appeal to it, and I got it for under $10. As many of you know -- the 1975 Topps/OPC/Topps Mini issues all have extraordinary problems when opening up wax/vending/etc. Between centering issues, color issues and print spots, it is very difficult to find high grade cards. In fact -- #70 Mike Schmidt is extra hard from each issue -- for whatever reason, it is one of the more difficult star cards to find in high grade.

But I have acquired a Mike Schmidt card with virtually no print spots, super sharp corners, and a really cool looking yellow band across the top of the card. Though I have this card in straight PSA 9, too, I actually think I like this one better.

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.

Comments

• Options
    Mike,

I agree that is like a schmidt with accessories. Actually you should have
    had to pay more!!!!!!
  • Options
    KING KELLOGGKING KELLOGG Posts: 1,157 ✭✭
    Marc...

If that was "color toning" on a silver dollar, you would pay a big premium....

I like it..

Great card!!

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    awesome card. 10 bucks was a steal
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    That's cool. The funny thing is some psa "newby" probably used the $35 rate to submit it.
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    I wouldn't even called this Miscut, just highly off-center.

It's definitely not an ugly card, either, as cards that are this OC usually are. What a bargain.
  • Options

Now, that is a great example of "buying the card and not the holder." Who could give a rip that PSA thinks it's miscut?

I once had a '68 Roger Maris with a print spot in the shape of a perfect circle, smack-dab on his ear lobe. Looked like he was wearing an earring.

Great Schmidt. I hope there are none other like it. (1 of 1, eh?)
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    MS,

That card presents itself really well. If a graded card collector with no knowledge of the '75 set looked at that, they would think it was a perfect card - maybe the yellow strip is supposed to be on the top. image

The card definitely deserves the MC qualifier, but was a steal at around $10. Good job!

JEB.
  • Options
    Afterthought -

Since you have so many graded examples of Schmidt cards, you must have a lot of other cards with qualifiers. Why not start a registry set of qualified Schmidt cards that have great eye appeal? Just a thought.

JEB.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    JEB - He could also do your patented idea of getting Schmidt in all grades too! If you think PSA-9's and 10's are rough, try locating a 1977 PSA-2image ...jay
  • Options

<< <i>JEB - He could also do your patented idea of getting Schmidt in all grades too! If you think PSA-9's and 10's are rough, try locating a 1977 PSA-2image ...jay >>

Jay,

It just so happens that I have a raw one that could easily be made into a PSA 2. I'm really hoping my idea will become popular. I've liquidated all of my assets in order to acquire raw examples of many star cards in anticipation of my PSA 1-10 Player sets really taking off with the set registry folks. image I already have many 1 of 1 PSA 2's through 5's. Since they are so rare, I will gladly sell any for just double PSA 8 SMR. image

JEB.
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Marc> On the 1975 issue, many cards will have that line across the top or the bottom. It is characteristic to the issue and so long as it's not severe, PSA is not supposed to dock you too hard. I have a few cards in PSA8 NQ holders with similar - but less severe - lines across the top. A few cards (such as Dave Roberts #301) are VERY tough to find without such a line.

As for your Schmidt, I think the line is a bit severe but I think the radical T/B centering is what pulled the MC qualifier.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.