Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Pro crossover to PSA

A couple of years back when I was young and naive I purchased a 62 willie mays #300 in a PRO-8 grade.

The card looked too good in the ebay scan to pass up and the price was right.

After I received the card, I thought that it looked like a psa 8 but might have been undersized in the height.

I then proceeded to show the card to about 8-10 "big dealers" and got a 50-50 response if it was in fact trimmed or not. A couple of guys thought it was from a presentation set because the color and focus was so clear.

So, I decided to take a chance and crack it out of the PRO holder and sent it in to psa for grading.

The good news is that psa graded it within 2 weeks and deemed it to be not trimmed.

The bad new is that it came back a psa 7!

Buyer and Seller of PSA graded Baseball Cards from 1900-1980.

Check out my ebay auctions listed under seller ID: jeej

Comments

• Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    You should consider yourself lucky. Read this: PRO Gradding experiment

Regards,

Alan Cowart
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Alan,

I've read a few articles by Bruce before... But, that one has to be the coolest and cruelest one to date! Talk about confirming peoples perceptions!!!

I may have to rethink my plans for my Pro-10 71 Topps Set!!!image
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Bruce,
    Awesome job on gathering this information for us to look at. I have wanted to do this on two different types of examples.
    1. Sending in 20 cards to PSA with a mix of 6/7/8 quality. Then breaking all twenty out and resubmitting all the PSA 8's on one invoice, all the PSA 7's on one and the PSA 6's on the other. I believe we would see a large difference of opinion.
    2. Crossover for BGS to PSA: SGC to PSA:

Great job.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options

<< <i>The bad new is that it came back a psa 7! >>

This is great news. You totally lucked out.

bruce
    Collecting '52 Bowman, '53 Bowman B&W, and '56 Topps, in PSA-7.
    Email: brucemo@seanet.com
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Whatever you do, do not crack it out of the PSA 7 holder. You got really lucky and don't take the chance of getting it "evidence of trimming" while shooting for an 8.
  • Options
    shockmanshockman Posts: 73 ✭✭
    brucemo, that is a great read. Thanks for sharing your experiment.
    Looking for...
    T206 HOFers in PSA 4
    E93 Standard Caramel
    EMail Me

My eBay auctions
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    A PRO 8 coming back a PSA 7?! What is happening? You should be elated! That is probably the best PRO to PSA crossover ever!

In general, the equation for converting a PRO grade to a PSA grade is: PSA = (0.5 x PRO) - 1 image.

JEB.
  • Options
    In general, the equation for converting a PRO grade to a PSA grade is: PSA = (0.5 x PRO) - 1

IMHO, a better formula would be PSA = "Evid. Trim"

• Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭

<< <i>In general, the equation for converting a PRO grade to a PSA grade is: PSA = (0.5 x PRO) - 1

IMHO, a better formula would be PSA = "Evid. Trim" >>

I hope "PSA" was meant to be "PRO" in your equation. I will agree with that statement and revise my equation:

If PRO Grade > 7, PSA Grade = "EVID TRIM". If PRO Grade < 7, PSA Grade = (0.5 x PRO) - 1.

JEB.
  • Options
    Bruce,

I guess you are right, a psa 7 is a lot better than a evidence trimmed card any day!

I actually have two other 62 Mays #300 cards in psa 8 that do not look nearly as good as the 7.

Great job on the PRO experiment. I thick you should call 60 minutes and do a story on grading companies to let the whole world know whats going on.

Buyer and Seller of PSA graded Baseball Cards from 1900-1980.

Check out my ebay auctions listed under seller ID: jeej