Home Autographs Forum
Options

General advice sought by amateur

I know it is a little dead in here but maybe this will give you guys a chance to show off your stuff.

I have a hand signed letter of appreciation from Governor George Ryan of Illinois, written shortly before he left office, right after he made world news by commuting all the death penalty cases in the state.

I would like to preserve the letter and signature as much as possible as it is not a form letter as he mentions numerous things I wrote to him about in my letter and the signature is not done by machine as there are signs of ink flow changes and imperfections. I would like to keep it safe and want to display it and would appreciate your ideas on what I should ask for and about when it take it to be framed. I want to sound like I am not complete fool just off the turnip truck when I discuss what I want with the framer.

Any advice is appreciated.

Kris

"I haven't understood anything since "Party" became a verb."

"I think I have finally lived long enough to realize that the big man in the sky aint talking" Ogden Nash

"When all you got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Comments

• Options
    Hi Kris, if you want to display the letter, keep it out of sunlight, as it will cause the letter to fade. You best best would be to have it matted by a professional who does framing. Tell them exactly what you want, and to use acid free backing. It should make a very good display item for you. Best of luck....
  • Options
    Also Kris, since this is going to be a display item, it might be a good idea to have a picture of him framed with it. I'm sure you could find a good one on the internet and have it printed off on a good quality paper.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip.. I was definitely going to go to a pro... do you think I should ask for UV protected glass or is that just a waste and a way for the framers to laugh and pocket the wasted difference in price.??

Thanks again

Kris

"I haven't understood anything since "Party" became a verb."

"I think I have finally lived long enough to realize that the big man in the sky aint talking" Ogden Nash

"When all you got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
  • Options
    If it was going to be in a lot of sunlight, I would do that. It also depends on how much extra it is. This is a prized possession, and, if UV glass is $20.00 more, then I would say what the hell. image