Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

My personal best on Set Completion -- TODAY -- Thanks Stewart

DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
Over the last year I have completed 100% of five sets. Each time was a thrill.

However, today with the help of the gracious Stewart Blay, I was able to plug one hole to complete two more sets that are of the most importance to me here.

The coin is a 1915 Matte Proof Licoln, and yes it plugged the hole in the 1909-1916 set, and the 1909-1942 set.

When I first got on the Registry, I wanted to do a set in my favorite modern series -- early Lincoln Proofs. Finding quality coins, getting other certified, all became more of a challenge than I imagined. I was able to complete four other sets (Dimes) before I could finish this one in the fashion I wanted to do it in.

Thanks for all the help on the board. There are several of you that I owe big favors to. It will be repaid.

Doug
Doug

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doug: Congrats on filling that last hole in 2 sets!! I know the feeling - you must be on "Cloud 9". image

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats - I would like to KNOW the feeling!!image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Congratulations! Finding, and affording, nice matte proof Lincolns seems tough.
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Doug
    You've come a long way since the beginning.Your Lincolns are to be proud of.My Lincoln hat is off to you old friend!!!
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Doug: An enviable achievement on those matte proofs ... a tip of this collector's hat, sir! image
  • Options
    Thanks for the congrats. When I was a kid, I had a red book and a handful of wheats I had found or my grandfather let me have out of his big jar of them. I would look at the small number of matte proofs, and wondered what a real matte proof looked like in person.

I'll bet you guys used to do the same thing. Anyway, that's why it was a significant set for me to finish.
    Doug
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    dOUG

Now you need three coins to complete the 1909-1958 set.This is the MOST important set.Good Luck

sTEWART
  • Options
    Thanks to you Stewart. The 1915 is a wonderful MPL, and I don't know why it didn't get an upgrade.

I have the other three coins, but they didn't cross over to the new set. They still show in the small sets. I'm complete in the 09-16, 36-42, and 50-58. I e-mailed Gayle and she said they have a "bad source code" and they need me to scan the slabs and e-mail them. I've never had this problem. Anyway, I have to go to the bank and get them this week so I can be complete!

Doug
  • Options
    GerryGerry Posts: 456
    Congratulations! I doubt too many people will ever be complete on Lincoln proofs 1909-1958, let alone do it in high grade like you have. Most of those early date Lincoln proofs are beautiful. What's your next goal?

• Options
    Ah Gerry, glad you asked . . . . I have two . . . short range and long range.

1. A HIGH grade 1936 proof set. The cents and nickels are done, both finishes. Almost got the quarter last month, but it just wasn't the right one for me -- nice PR67 though . . . wonder what the other five quarters at the PR67 level look like??? I may be kicking myself.

2. A HIGH grade, key coin, type set 1794-1900. I've done about 10 coins so far and my wallet is severly bruised . . . and I've already shot May's coin budget as well!!!!
    Doug
  • Options
    Doug....

Sorry it took so long to say congrats, even though you passed both my matte proof sets simultaneously! I don't get on the forum very often. I guess one outcome is that there will be just a bit less competition for quality matte proof Lincolns. I do need 1910, 1911, and 1914 in PR66RB preferably nice even red brown.

FYI to matte proof cent buyers, I have mid-grade 1912 and 1916 matte proof cents up on eBay now, my last two "triplicates", after these I will be down to the two sets only (until I find the above three coins). They are nice coins for the grade.

Again, congrats Doug.

Tim
  • Options
    Tim, there are more matte proof Lincolns for sale in the upcoming auction than you can shake a stick at!
    Doug
  • Options
    Congratulations.

Todd
    Todd Abbey
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Great job Doug. Matte proof Lincolns are very scarce and one of my favorite coins.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    Doug, you passed two of my sets at one time (something that doesn’t happen very often on the registry), so I get to post twice on this thread. In this my second post, I wanna raise a couple issues that you and I have discussed briefly, by e-mail. I know you agree with some of what I am about to write, and you disagree with some. But I’m writing more to stimulate discussion as I am to tout my matte proof cent sets (they are what they are), so here goes…..

First things first, I just don't understand how a matte proof cent that has absolutely 100% unbroken luster can be called “red-brown”. "Brown" is when the coin has a rub, or when the toning is so dense that the luster disappears. In my mind, all of Liston One is "rainbow toned red”, not red-brown. I went back to the safe deposit box and looked at the set recently, and I don’t see one square millimeter of “brown” (by my definition) on any of the nine coins. Check out my 1916 and tell me where the brown is, I simply can’t find any. The coin is more colorful (the barely toned areas are actually sea-green) and maybe a shade darker (redder?!) than the picture shows but is otherwise pretty representative. And you should see my 1915 PR67 "brown". Brown? The coin is 100% lustrous electric sea-green and blue, both sides, just spectacular. Not one break in the luster. The holder should say “PR67 rainbow toned”, not “PR67BN”. A grade of PR67BN makes no sense at all -- if it’s really “brown”, it’s surely not PR67. As I have said before, put “rainbow toning” on a mercury dime or a bust half, the value goes up. But on a matte proof cent (or any cent for that matter), they call it “red-brown” and the value goes down?! Well, for sheer beauty I’ll put Liston One up against any matte proof cent set, and that includes the set that tops us both. By the way as you know all nine coins in Liston One reside in old green label holders. I put it together a while ago.

Now here’s another thing that I don’t quite understand. Well, I guess I understand but I don’t agree. Much to my chagrin, there are no “style points” for putting together a really well-matched set. Remember when I first posted both my matte proof cent sets? I didn’t post the highest registry set I could. I posted the sets the way they match up, the way I collected them, one with all color and one all even red-brown. With that in mind, check out Liston One again. There are only 13 coins that can improve the registry ranking of Liston One and still keep the set well-matched. And probably a lot less than 13 if only “colorful” red-brown upgrades can be considered. What PCGS calls a “red” coin in Liston One would improve my registry rating but would be (dare I say) an eyesore! There are 27 coins that can improve White Fang without compromising the overall look of the set. My guess is that I will never see a coin that can upgrade Liston One (admittedly partly cuz I’m not looking). But style points only count in figure skating I guess…..

By the way I resubmitted the 1910, 1911, and 1914 from Liston Two and got one point upgrades on ALL of them. When has that ever happened? They’ll be reposted as soon as I get the cert #’s (or the coins) from Joe. Liston Two is a really nice and well-matched set, but not quite as stunning as Liston One. All coins are fully lustrous though…..

There my friend, I feel better now! Again I congratulate you, I’m sure your set is terrific. I don’t get out much these days, but I hope our paths cross someday, sets in hand. A year ago you encouraged me to post my sets and join the forum. You know what they say, “be careful what you wish for…..” image

• Options
    Tim! I am certainly glad that you registered your sets (even though you kept me down for almost a year!), and are participating in the forum. I like to learn from long time Lincoln collectors. For reasons earlier in this thread, MPL's hold a special place in my collection.

I would love to hear other expert opinions on these theories!!!!!!!

Now with that being said . . . strap your headgear on!

Brown Theory. When you first mentioned the "brown" theory to me, I had to think long and hard about it, since I haven't been in the "red" market until the last several years because of the prices. However, I have collected pure browns since I was a kid . . . again because of the prices.

1. Your 1916 is absolutely gorgeous! I wouldn't care if it said "black" on the holder, and obviously you don't either. It has more "red" peaking through than mine, although mine is very colorful as well (aren't most 16's???).

2. If "Brown" means color only, why not open the entire color spectrum? hmmm . . . PR66GR, PR66PU, PR66YW. I actually have two MPL's that are "yellow gold", not red, but they are in "Red" holders.

3. If "Brown" means toning only, then I have a few RB's I would like to upgrade the designation on. I have one or two MS Lincolns that have fabulous rim toning, but are fiery red over 80% of the centers. I like these coins too much to have someone tell me they are RB's so they are raw.

4. If color and toning are not listed on other series, why list it on the Lincoln slab?

5. If "Brown" means a state of preservation, then it would look to me like that would go to the grade, making a 67brown, an anomoly!

So what does "Brown" really mean???

The market says Brown is "color only."

EAC says "All copper is in a state of brown"

. . . . I still haven't made up my mind on it, except that I already know I prefer untoned, red color, proof Lincolns. (This still doesn't explain why I have a couple of 66rb's that are full of color . . . in NGC slabs. I just can't part with them for NGC66RB money)

. . . . My theory is that when PCG$$$ looks at a coin, they want to pick those for red that they think will stay red for a long, long time . . . else a claim comes home to roost! Any hint that it might turn brown in the holder, and you get the generic "RB".

Liston v. White Fang

I am assuming that your math is correct - - that there are 13 RB coins that could improve your set, while there are 27 RED's that could improve my set, yet my set is ranked higher. I think the key is the points for a red skew the scale and that all things really equal, there are probably 40 coins that could "improve" your set as far as the registry is concerned. Life is not fair, and neither is the registry.

I would really love to see your sets, as I know you put a lot of time into building a matched set. That fact should be recognized. I would most like to see how your 10 matches up to your 16? After looking at high grade 10's, I don't see how any of them can match up to the others in the set.

I like the way you are thinking though. My 09VDB in a 66rb holder is actually golden-mellow red . . . and could be considered a RED under a couple of your theories above! That would be a doubling in value for little old me!

Doug
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭
    Doug,
    Congrats! Matte proof Lincolns are very, very tough to find nice. I started a brown 65/66 set in the early 90's and stopped because it was too difficult to find nice coins (w/o spots and great eye appeal). I have a 1912 and 1914 in PR65BN (I did have a 1910 PR65RD, but I sold it- bad move on my part, it was a stunner; but I did make a nice profit on it).
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Doug
    I read with interest the post by Tim.I must say he has brought up some very interesting points.I must admit,I haven't given it a lot of thought.I do think a well matched set should be given a little more,dare we say bonus point.The RD,RB,and BN issue has been bantered before.When is a coin BN? I'm not sure either.The color guys have debated this issue when compareing toned silver(nice toning to ugly toning).I appreciate nice toned Copper and I've seen a few.jbstevens has some real stunners.Are they RED IMHO,yes.In my mind BN is brown,not rainbow colors.I hope this will start a discussion on this matter at all the grading companies.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    GerryGerry Posts: 456
    Interesting topic. I'd like to know what Stewart has to say, so I emailed him a copy of the thread. image
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

First - To determine Red Red/brown and brown on matte proof lincolns is different than determinining color on mint state or "Brilliant Proofs"

Second - One must be able to determine doctoring on matte proofs

Third - All matte proof Lincolns were packaged in tissue paper and will be colorful as the paper was infused with sulfer.

Lastly -Look at as many matte proof Lincolns as you can

Stewart