Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Crossover Question

I was wondering if anybody knew anything about cards being graded from the GEM Grading Company. I got some cards that they say are 10's and I am thinking about converting them into PSA holders. If PSA gave them an 8 or 9 it would be worth due to the price I payed for them, but I don't want them to come back from PSA marked trimmed or altered if I can help it. Does anybody know if GEM has strict grading guidelines? Any info On what you would do would help. chris
Currently Building the 1979 Topps Baseball set in PSA 9

Comments

• Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    I've bought one GEM card and I'm 99% sure it's trimmed. If you want to save the $10 crossover fee, you can measure the card while it's in the current slab. Not a sure bet, but it's about all you can do.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    Probably a good chance that it is altered in some way (or way under graded). I've seen many of them on ebay lately and have thought about buying one cheap just to see, but I'm too skeptical. Let us know the results if you decide to cross over. I'd be interested.

Thanks.

JEB.
  • Options
    Does anybody know if PSA will take the crossover cards has your free cards if you are signing up again for thier services?
    Currently Building the 1979 Topps Baseball set in PSA 9
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Synthsense,

Actually thats pretty creative... but I don't know of anyone who has tried it. You'll probably have to call the PSA Customer Service line to see.

My guess is that that answer will be no - but its worth asking.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    I don't think I'd try to crossover anything from GEM, PRO, WCG, Capital, or other non-major names. I've been seeing a lot of these Lebron SI for kids cards in GEM 10 lately and they look anything but Gem 10.
  • Options
    Synthsense - Yes they will. I just re-upped, asked them directly, and they said yes - provided that you have all of the cards on that invoice as cross-over cards (I sent them 4, which filled my invoice).
    I need that 69 Bench ASimage

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I just purchased a BGS vintage card that was a 5.5. Subgrades were all 7,8,7.5, and 5. It went to a PSA 4. I just lost about $200 on the deal. I will never do this again.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    1954 Sorry to hear about your plight. Did yo send it in for cross-over service or break it out and submit it in a raw state. Mine were sent in for cross0over service in the original slabs, with instructions that they not be graded if theywere to receive lower grade than what was on the original company's slab. I didn't want to take the risk of cracking the slabs and then get hammered by the Grader of Doom.
    I need that 69 Bench ASimage