Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

If you don't own a card, don't post it

Hi everyone!

It has come to my attention that some members are posting cards into their sets, mainly from eBay listings, to see how the addition of those cards will effect the GPA/Rating of their set. Although I can understand why one would want to do this, these additions are not within the rules of the PSA Set Registry.

In order to post a card, you must own the card free and clear. In fact, you should have the card in your possession before posting. Now I know that some members, after winning a card on eBay, will post it into their sets prior to actually receiving the card. However, we strongly encourage you NOT to post a card until the card is in your mailbox. Anything can happen between the time you place the winning bid and the time the card is in your hands.

If you are really interested in seeing how the addition of a card(s) will effect your overall GPA/Rating, please use a spreadsheet for that purpose. I have available spreadsheets for every set composite we have online. All you would need to do is plug in your cards. The gpa/rating formula is already set up for you. If you would like me to send you a spreadsheet for your set composite, please email me and I will be happy to do so.

Thank you for your cooperation.
BJ Searls
bsearls@collectors.com
Set Registry & Special Projects Director
PCGS (coins) www.pcgs.com
PSA (cards & tickets) www.psacard.com

Comments

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Although I can understand why one would want to do this >>

BJ - I can't!! The idea of the set registry is to see how your set fares against the other set builders of that set. It also serves as a convienient checklist and to me a progress report based on my $ that I can spend and my time frame. There would be no reason whatsoever to paste in cert #'s from cards that will never be part of your collection...jay
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    <However, we strongly encourage you NOT to post a card until the card is in your mailbox.>

BJ,

Once you win an auction and pay for that auction the card is legally yours. Sometimes on EBAY there is funny business that goes on and a card gets "lost". By having the card registered...the card might magically get "found" for you when someone else tries to register it.

That's certainly different than someone posting cards in a mythical collection.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    Thank you BJ, for taking the time to post this message - I think this will save everyone some time in the long run.
    On a seperate note, thanks for getting the 1959 FB weightings up so quickly! I thought it would be at least a month, but turns out it was just about a week. SUPER SERVICE from PSA this month.

THANK YOU! Jeremy
    Jeremy
  • Options
    I wonder if something like the Mastro 65 set sale has prompted this. If not, it's a good example. The set is still registered. Even when it is deleted the numbers will hang around a bit. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if some winners of the cards tried to register their cards right after the auction. When the cards wouldn't register, the set registry folks started getting inquiries as to why the card wouldn't register. Each inquiry needs to be looked into and addressed. I'm sure they intend to remove the set quickly, but obviously it wasn't removed quickly enough. If people were to simply wait until the cards are in hand, then at least it probably would have been removed from the system by then. I'm sure it happens quite a bit. I agreed to sell a card to somebody from my registry set. They were going to send a check, then I was going to send the card. Less than 1/2 hour later I got an email from the registry folks about somebody not being able to register the card. The guy tried to register the card, and when he couldn't, he contacted the registry people about it instead of me. Multiply that a few hundred times, and I think I see why they'd like to see people wait a few extra days.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    << Although I can understand why one would want to do this >>

Jay -- I think that BJ was saying that in the effort of being as diplomatic as possible....

<<Once you win an auction and pay for that auction the card is legally yours. Sometimes on EBAY there is funny business that goes on and a card gets "lost". By having the card registered...the card might magically get "found" for you when someone else tries to register it.>>

Alan -- though I do not disagree with your theory, you are primarily speaking of a legal issue here. The card may legally be yours -- but noise happens. I've gotten cracked cards, cracked PSA cases, etc. Though I fully understand what you are saying -- I would instead suggest keeping a thorough document trail of the Ebay auction, pictures, your payment receipt, etc.

Plus, understanding the timing that PSA needs to delete and update sets -- why not make it easier for everyone and wait until a week or so after you paid....

MS

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    All's I can say is, your life must pretty well $uck if you have to resort to these shananigans to recieve satisfaction. People are taking this registry wayyyyy too serious.
    I suppose we might better start to cover up the serial number when selling cards on ebay so these losers will actually have to buy them.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I am in "agreeance" with Interchange.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    About 4 to 5 months ago I had a bidder who was between addresses that would up losing like 5 or 8 cards registered in my spare set.He didn't insure and I didn't refund but I did send out some PSA 8s in place because I felt bad and didn't want the guy to be at a total loss.He was happy I met him half way since he didn't insure.

I emailed PSA and posted a message about this matter here on wether deleting the lost cards from the spare set or not should be done and no response was ever given to the question other than opinions from our board.(Thank you all board members - BTW)

I asked what that Spec # was that comes up when a card is registered but nothing was ever said about it.To date,those cards were left in the set just incase someone was up to no good and tried to register them but as far as it looks nobody tried or I guess somebody would have emailed from PSA.

• Options
    BJ,

Thanks for the post. Registering cards you don't own is just plain wrong, and should not be tolerated. Set up a sanction that would handle this.

It is not hard to see what a card will do for your rating w/o using a spreadsheet. Just multiply the weighting of the card by the number of grades upgraded, and divide by the total set divisor which is given on every set.

As for registering cards not yet received, as long as it is not still registered to someone's elses set, i don't really see any harm. It would certainly be onerous for people to email the set registry asking for the cards to be deleted from another set, but if they are unregistered cards, taht shouldn't be an issue.
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    I know from personal experience that this has been happening regularly. I have had to email Gayle and Cosetta many times over the past few months to delete a card from someone's set. Every time, it was a card that I received from someone that I know does not have a registered set. I hate to inundate PSA with these emails, but what other choice do I have?

Anyway, if anyone reading this post is doing this (or is otherwise interested), I have created a website that has set registry spreadsheets for many sets. I update these frequently and I'm willing to take any requests.

Set Registry Spreadsheets

I hope some of you find this useful and please stop registering cards before they are in hand.

Thanks.

JEB.
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    In fact, you should have the card in your possession before posting.

Does this include cards that have been recently graded by PSA and MY grades are posted on the web site? If so, I do not see the harm in ME adding MY cards to MY set. Even if I haven't received them yet.

I also agree with an earlier post that stated

"Once you win an auction and pay for that auction the card is legally yours. Sometimes on EBAY there is funny business that goes on and a card gets "lost". By having the card registered...the card might magically get "found" for you when someone else tries to register it.

That's certainly different than someone posting cards in a mythical collection."

If I pay for it...It is mine and I would want to add it to my set. I could also secure the card from some "thief" adding my card to their set. And could possibly track down the misdoer.

What exactly is the major concern?

"""It has come to my attention that some members are posting cards into their sets, mainly from eBay listings, to see how the addition of those cards will effect the GPA/Rating of their set. Although I can understand why one would want to do this, these additions are not within the rules of the PSA Set Registry."""

And what exactly could be done to fix that problem? A blanket change could be over zealous. Just my $0.02.

Carlos
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    Carlos,

Great to see you here. I hope all is well!

I don't disagree that once you pay for a card that it is legally yours, but the point of BJ's post was people who see the card on ebay and enter it into their registry set. Think about it. It takes up to 3 days (usually 1 day image ) to update a set on the registry. Then it will take another 1-3 days to delete the card, if the person remembers to delete it from their set (or even cares to for that matter).

By that time, the winner of the card has received it and is now frustrated that they can't enter it into their own set. So they email PSA and wait another 3 days (this is actually what it usually takes for this to happen) before they can finally enter the card. So at this point, someone at PSA has reviewed a set to add the card, reviewed the set again to delete the card, and then added the card again to another set - best case. Or worst case - someone at PSA has reviewed a set to add the card, received an email from another member that the card can't be registered in their set, sent an email to the set owner who has the card registered, waited for a reply, deleted card from bogus set, emailed the legitimate owner of the card that it is now available to register, and finally reviewed the set that rightfully deserves the card.

I have experienced this frustration many times recently. Multiply my frustration by 1,000 and I can only imagine the frustration that it causes BJ and Cosetta.

Thanks for all of the hard work. I really appreciate it.

JEB.
  • Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    Most responsible sellers remove their cards before posting on EBAY.

The problem is with the illegally registered cards. Because of these individuals, it doesn't matter when you receive the card it will be ineligible for your set.

• Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    I agree its a huge problem. I have cards coming in most every day I buy and very frequently cards will not register. I notify psa, put the cards aside--usually within a few days psa gets back to me and I can register the cards but often there is a problem. Either way, often I end up buying the cards again as they do not show up in the registry.
    My solution is for psa to immediately put them in for "good customers" sets. I notify psa it won't register-psa immediately puts it in--first time anyone is caught putting in a card they do not have they get a 6-mo suspension from this privlege.

Davalillo
  • Options
    mrc32mrc32 Posts: 604
    Good Customers? You have to be kidding....you must be a Democrat image

I have not had this problem, but just becuase I don't spend $1000 a week or whatever doesn't mean I am any less important...

I think this problem stinks as well and thanks go to BJ for the post!

• Options
    << I have not had this problem, but just becuase I don't spend $1000 a week or whatever doesn't mean I am any less important...>>

Don't be nieve....it certainly does make you (and me) less important to PSA. But you too are correct. This issue is an ugly one.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Argh, there goes my set rankings!
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    This will always be a HUGE problem, just as non paying bidders and low feedback shill bidding continues to be on ebay. It is the same people who have the rights to the set registry that also bid on auctions and never pay for them. There thrills are in someone elses pain and in my opinion they will ultimately lead to the demise of the set registry as well as the BUY IT NOW option on ebay as they continue to make there presence known by intentionally screwing up things for other people. They are probably the same people who snatch pocketbooks from elderly women, shoplift and pedal illegeal substances. How do you stop them?????????????image
  • Options