Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1971 Kelloggs BB-More than you want to know

It seemed to me that the grades for 1971 Kelloggs Baseball cards were trending downward. To check I ran the numbers through a calculator. I'll spare you the details but here's some of the statistical highlights.

The population report from Sept 21, 2002 (seven months ago) indicated a .317 percentage of PSA 9's. In other words, 31.7% of all submitted cards had received a 9. Currently the percentage is 30.4. That doesn't sound like a huge difference but if you just look at the submissions for the last seven months as a separate percentage, PSA 9's showed up just 26.6% of the time. Percentage wise, PSA 8's are down just slightly less.
As you would expect, PSA 7's have a large increase, as do PSA 6's.

Summary-Fewer 9's, Fewer 8's, More 7's, More 6's.

Why? Are they grading harder, or, are people more likely to send in lesser condition cards now than they were a year ago? I'm open to other theories as well.

Strong buyer of 1970 Kelloggs Football & 1971 Kelloggs Baseball and Football. Please help me find cards!
I have a few hundred extra PSA graded 1971 Kellogg's cards. E-mail for price list. Looking for 1970 Topps Supers in PSA 9 too.

Comments

• Options
    StumpStump Posts: 927
    I think because cards are bringing more dollars people are taking more chances.

Dave
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    Dave-

That is exactly what I was thinking. I am one of them that is taking the chances.

Todd
    Kellogg's Krazy
    1974 Topps
  • Options
    i completely agree with the above posts.

also, ive noticed from the raw kelloggs cards that i own, that 71s and 72s crack much more easily than 1970. has anyone else had this problem? what are the odds (in the long run) that psa graded kelloggs cards will begin to crack from being in the slab?
  • Options
    I hoped they will not crack in the slabs. There was an earlier thread that somewhat discussed that. The consenus thought the cold weather forced the cracks. Some collectors would not even send them in during the winter. This is a guess, but I believe I have sent in some where around 500 k-cards to psa. I have had one crack on the way there. It was a 71 and it was in the winter. Hard to say what causes the cracking.

Todd
    Kellogg's Krazy
    1974 Topps
  • Options
    I've never had one crack in the case. However, I've seen several (maybe 5) that were owned by other people which had obviously cracked after they had been graded.

Regardless, Kellogg's cards need to be kept at room temperature.

I'm not sure that 71's crack more easily. One thing to keep in mind is that since sets weren't sold, virtually every card was tossed into circulation. With obvious exceptions, 71 Kelloggs figure to have been handled more than the other years.

I think the variations are probably much more rare than people think but, when found, will tend to be in better condition.
    Strong buyer of 1970 Kelloggs Football & 1971 Kelloggs Baseball and Football. Please help me find cards!
    I have a few hundred extra PSA graded 1971 Kellogg's cards. E-mail for price list. Looking for 1970 Topps Supers in PSA 9 too.
  • Options
    a guy i know has some kind of solution (kind of like the leather car care stuff that prevents leather from cracking) that he says works on kelloggs cards. i dont like the idea, because i consider it altering, but it seems to work really well
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭

<< <i>Kellogg's cards need to be kept at room temperature. >>

Just like fine VINTAGE wine image.
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    I responded to a very similar thread several months ago regarding cold weather and cracking.

The point I made then (and now) is that if you send cards to PSA for grading by registered mail or FedEx (PSA's recommended options), the time of year you send them is irrelevant. Both shipping methods utilize air freight. Even if I send my cards from my home in south Florida to sunny California in mid July, the temperature of the cargo at 30,000 feet is well below zero.

Other than insulating the contents, I don't know how you can prevent the cards from being exposed to cold temperatures. I believe shipping in the summer will help because the packages won't be exposed as long.

Maybe Bruce can do some freezer experiments with '71 Kelloggs and post the results on his website. image

I just thought I'd bring that up again in case some of you missed it the last time I posted.

JEB.
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Maybe UPS Ground would be a better option then?

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    PSA does not accept UPS deliveries. I don't know why - can anyone answer that one?

JEB.
  • Options
    Actually, I just looked it up. It is line 11 on the submission form:

"11. PSA Does NOT Accept U.P.S. Deliveries-No Exceptions!"

JEB.
  • Options
    NONSENSE!

OLD WIVES TALES!

About a year ago, I did an extensive study on causing slabbed Kellogg's cards to crack. They were frozen. exposed to extreme heat under high intensity lights, and then thrown into a deep freeze. I even microwaved some slabs.

No cracking whatsoever.

However, I do not reccomend microwaving. After two minutes on high setting, the plastic surface of the card melts causing a smooth glossy photo shine as a result of the mylar bag inside the slab.

Science marches on!!!!!

THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    Mick,

I think the prices are driving people to take chances on the submissions. The lot I submitted I knew were all 8's (very light scratches on the front of the cards) and I was pleasantly suprised to get 1 PSA 9. Any other year of Kellogg's in this scenario I would not have submitted these cards.These cards are tough to find in any condition due to the fact they were only in cereal boxes and never distributed as a set ... The only other cards I would submit like this would be the 75's which are very tough to find as well...but I am not convinced the market for 8's is strong enough there yet....

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    USPS has a ground service also - parcel post - maybe send them that way during the nice months.
  • Options
    KING KELLOGGKING KELLOGG Posts: 1,157 ✭✭
    Mick...
    I think the grading "specials" have something to do with it.

Dave and Todd...
    That too!...The additional dollars are probably generated by additional collectors. There are more collectors of Kellogg's cards now than 7 months ago. Therefore one would have to surmise that some of those collectors are not going to collect just 9's.

goodriddance189...
    Cracking happens with ALL Kellogg's cards. For you, it seems like 71's and 72's ended up being your "problem" years. With me it's 74's and 77's. I also have a friend that collects K Kards and can't seem to get an 1983 without the dreaded crack. I've viewed 10's of thousands of Kellogg's cards and the "cracking issue" seems to be a percentage of all of them, regardless or year made.

Todd....
    I have never had any of my Kellogg's cards crack AFTER the encapsulation process. I know other collectors have. John (BASILONE) can supply a picture of his famous PSA 9 with MONSTER cracks in it. As like you, I have had a few, crack on the way. Meaning that I get back a PSA 4 K Kard with a big 'ole honker crack inside the slab. Now I know I didn't send it in that way...PSA correctly graded it as they saw it. It's part of Kellogg's life.

Mick...
    You're correct about those "variations"....Shhhhhhhhh.....Be quite!!!

GEMMINTMAN...
    TOO funny!!!!!! (So true....but real funny....)

1970 Chateau de' Kellogg's. A real full bodied set, with an underlining sense of 3-D pleasure!!!

JEB...
    Good point on the air frieght. I also think that UPS Ground also travels by air when convienient for the carrier. (The carriers don't publish their routes anymore..) Another point is that, recently I bought some sets out of New York when it was VERY cold back there. I had them shipped to me in Portland, OR, priorty mail. Didn't think about cracking until I received the sets (about 25 sets). The cards were beautiful, every one of them. In about 3 weeks, I got about 500 cards ready for shipment to PSA. As I did my final count, noticed a bunch of cards had cracked inside the cardsaver 1's. I removed 89 cracked cards from the invoice and tossed them in the garbage. When I received my order back, I had an additional 6 cards that had cracked along the way. Portland is not considered a hot OR cold part of the country (maybe K Kards don't like the rain!!!???!!.......).

Z...
    I know you have heated, frozen, microwaved, beat on, hammered, tapped, submerged, run over, streched, compacted, used chemicals, cracked open, and even probably had those K slabs in the cleavage of one of your Las Vegas...er.....lab assistants....You're Right!! Nothing seems to shake the 3-D fullfillment of these special cards. Maybe you could start a Kellogg's Labratory...(Next to Ceasar's OK???....)

Jeff...
    Looks like I took the long way around, just to end up back at the beginning. As I have stated in the past, The 71's will always have a place in the conversations, because of the "no set" thing. 1971's enjoy higher submission rates because of that very issue. The 75's are out there...But where??? No one seems to know (past threads). Hard to find now, but with posts and threads like these, it's just a matter of time before a "mother lode" will surface. My pick for the real tough year is 1981. Seems to be a ba'zillion cards out there, but some of the cards are real bears in high grade (maybe never on a few of them...)

Mick...
    In summary, I think all K Kards will be tougher in future years, because of the cracking issue, more collectors are looking for them and there were only so many produced.

Something to think about......

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    KING KELLOGG-

i dont really have an accurate grasp of which years are more susceptible to cracking, i was just using the ones i had as an example. i recieved about 200 k cards from 1970 to 1980 as part of a deal awhile back, and the 1971's were all cracked, except a real nice bob griese