Home Q & A Forum
Options

Partial credit for body bagged coins?

BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
David,
In my mind, the PCGS fee is made up of two parts - the cognitive service (evaluating/grading the coins), and the physical service (slabbing the coin. If a coin is body bagged, I am only getting one part of the PCGS service, therefore, feel I am not getting what I paid for.
Have you ever considered a partial credit for submissions which do not result in the coin(s) being slabbed?

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    Hi Barry,

We've discussed this many times over the years. Initially PCGS was only open to dealer submitters. The body bag same fee issue was tossed around and we basically told the dealers that we didn't want to give the doctors any incentive to ply their trade. Most of the dealers were very supportive of the concept, as most of the dealers were not doctors.

Things are a little different now that collectors submitt direct. I feel some empathy for collectors who really don't know the difference and get charged the full fee for body bags. However, we do almost the same amount of work. The same number of graders review the coin and, indeed, the body bag coins often take longer to grade since they are not cut and dry. We just don't want to give a break to doctored coins, no matter how innocent the submitter.

David