Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Error Help-------picture finally posted.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
I guess I hang out at the local shop too much!! Today I came across a neat error and wanted some help determining value, collectibility and which service, if any, I should have certify the coin. It's a Bicentennial Silver Washington Proof with a reverse rotated close to 180 degrees. Can anyone help me out?? Thanks.

Al H.image

Comments

• Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    Wow, I don't know...Did you buy it, or are you looking to see if the price is fair?
    I would think/hope that any drastic error, like a 180 degree rotated reverse, would have strong collector following.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    Double Wow! I would think an Error collector would want that in their collection. 180 degrees is a lot!image
  • Options
    hey monk

the owner bought a collection and i was looking through before his helper 2x2'd everything. i know die rotation isn't that uncommon, what struck me is that it was a proof and the rotation is such a drastic amount.

al h.image
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    you might be hip to this, but if not, maybe a step in the right direction

http://www.minterrornews.com/
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    I'd jump on it if I were you!! image
    Glenn
  • Options
    I cant remember when the mint changed the minting process for sure I thing early 90-80's that this rarely occurs after that time frame, but I think it's not to uncommon back then. Anyone know for sure? Sorry can't be more help keets.image

Pennies make dollars, and dollars make slabs!

....inflation must be kicking in again this dollar says spend by Dec. 31 2004!

Erik
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    180 degrees is normal. That means the rev is upside down when the obv is right side up.
    I take it you mean 0 degrees or medallic rotation where the tops & bottom both point the same way? If so that is a nice error. Not extremely valuable but will have a premium.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think he meant rotated 180 degrees from the normal position.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, me too. I know 0 degrees is normal for you DarkSide guys. image
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    You should buy it,I would.I like rotated reverse errors.
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    You guys are looking at it wrong - it is the obverse that is rotated.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geocity's rotated die coin census calls it an R-7 (4-12) known. Though they
    also call it 135 degree rotation. It is most assuredly not common (I've never
    seen one), but there are likely more than have been reported.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Is it rotated 180 to the left or to the right?image
  • Options
    ttt

i finally managed to link up a picture of the coin.

al h.image
  • Options
    Keets,

This is just a collector's opinion, not an error expert's opinion... JIMHO

I like it. I think the fact that it is just off 180 from normal makes it more special. The fact that it is a bicentennial, and especially the fact that it is a proof makes it more interesting to me as a collector. I wish I could help you with price... None of my search-able resources have anything like it.
  • Options
    misterRmisterR Posts: 2,305 ✭✭
    I would guesstimate its' value at $400+. Nice find! I knew of those and have looked for years, never found one, not yet!
  • Options
    i wanted to post that the quarter was graded by NGC at PF67CAM with the degree of rotation listed on the insert. the coin was submitted under the error service with the degree of rotation noted on the submission form.

al h.image
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    If they were both right side up, it would be 180 degrees rotated. Your coin is actually less than 90 degrees rotated as shown. Still a cool coin. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a bunch of coins that have reverses rotated that drastically.

I always seem to put 'em down on the scanner bed all crooked! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    hey Rob

this is a tough one not to reply to in defense of my intelligence!!! there is apparently some disagreement amongst the respondents as to the rotation of the reverse out of the normal position. i would assure everyone that i am not mistaken when i say rotated 135 degrees, as noted by cladking. my initial reference was "close to 180 degrees" which i think is accurate since it's certainly closer to that than 0 degrees or normal alignment.

in a way this all reminds me of a friend who says he knows enough Mexican to get his throat slit!!

al h.image
  • Options
    My basis for the rotation being less than 90 degrees is that the norm is for the head of the drummer to be straight down. Rotating clock-wise, it is not even a full quarter of a circle rotated (a quarter circle rotation is 90 degrees and a half circle rotation is 180 degrees - the medal orientation or most world coin orientation). Hope the figure below helps to show what I mean.

trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    I always use a clock when trying to get an accurate estimate of rotation from someone with the top of the obverse being 12 o'clock and the top of the reverse being 6 o'clock. I think the confusion comes from the way the picture is displayed, Al has the picture showing how the coin looks when viewing the reverse in normal position as I do in the picture below. That is one nice thing about slabbed coins, it is very easy to tell what the rotation is if you have a picture showing the obverse and reverse of the coin in the slab.

• Options
    Showing it in a slab with a clear orientation of both obverse and reverse, shows that it is indeed rotated more than 90 dgrees and less than 180 degrees. I stand corrected. My bad. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    The slab pics do clear up the confusion for myself as well, the orientation of obverse to reverse is made clear. Thanks!
    Joe
  • Options
    ok guys

here's the picture that i posted with the thread starter. it is nearly identical in regards to orientation as the holdered coin. why was there any confusion?? i think where y'all get confused is in thinking that the drummer is centered on the coin when in actuality he is offset to the viewers right. to measure the rotation, the best reference point is the rim lettering which is symmetrical. that's what your eye should be judging rotation on.

al h.image

• Options
    For me, I expect that the reverse design is inverted in orientation with regards to the obverse (i.e. 'quarter dollar' would be inverted and on top). From the picture you posted, it appeared offset less than 90 degrees with that premise. I did not expect that you would have compensated for the 180 degree difference between the obvesre and reverse such that the normal coin shown on your orientation should have had both obverse and reverse designs being both the right side up. Clear as mud? image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    what i did was depict the coin in exactly the same fashion as 99% of all pictured coins. typically, the obverse would be photographed and then the reverse is photographed as though the coin is flipped, north to south, resulting in the picture that i showed and the picture that the slab displays. they are identical. how can one make sense and one not make sense?? that doesn't make sense!!image in that manner, both sides appear right-side-up.

you guys need to give me the shadow of the doubt here and consider that i know how our coins are oriented and that i'm showing what i'm describing.

al h.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file