Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How do you grade proof coins?

This is a newbie type question, but have not found any good reference sources yet - any suggestions?

I have some coins in 50-60's proof sets and trying to estimate what they would grade to decide if worth submitting.

Depth of field, strike, clarity, color - lack of hairlines/hazing ??

What is the importance of each and can you predict within 1 grade what your proof submissions come back as?

Comments

• Options
    GREAT QUESTION!!!!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    All this is based on the assumption that it's PCGS doing the grading, and that these are modern proofs.

The single most important thing, numero uno with them, is hairlines. They are much more forgiving of a spot or two, a nick or ding or a touch of haze, than they are of hairlining. One hairline visible at a glance, and you're in a 67 holder. Two, 66, three, 65, more no better than 64 - UNLESS the coin is so stunning that it gets a point bump.

For cameo, deep cameo designation, field depth is very, very important on modern proofs. I know some people argue that it's frost that makes the designation and, while that's certainly important, my experience tells me that the mirrors play a greater role when it comes to deep cameo.

Also, it is frequently said that a DCAM cannot have any frost breaks or fades. That is simply not true. If a coin has extraordinary mirror depth for it's particular year - I mean the kind that looks like a black hole - a small frost break or fade will be forgiven. In other words, it's the overall impression the coin makes, not any single factor.

If the coin has a spot or two, say glue for example, and it's tucked away near the rim, or hidden in the lettering, this will usually only mean a one point drop in the grade. In a more visible location, a two point drop.

Very light outer peripheral haze will only drop it a point. As the amount of haze increases and moves toward the centers, the grade drop increases. Too much haze will keep the coin out of a cameo or deep cameo holder.

Note that all of the above is subject, again, to the overall coin. One that knocks the grader's dick in the dirt with visual stunning appeal will frequently be given a little room and a one point bump.

Yes, I invariably come within a point on mine, and frequently PCGS grades them higher than I thought.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Bump, in case anybody was interested.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    hmmmmm........... Mirrors, Mirrors and more Mirrors....

More deep Mirrors for me!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Very nice commentary and observations, Russ ...
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ speaks the truth. I will only add that it is essential to use proper lighting when grading proofs. Experiment with various lighting conditions and you will be AMAZED how hairlines appear and disappear under different conditions! I grade most accurately with a 100 Watt bulb in an otherwise dark room.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Halogen is great for detecting hairlines and other problems, but is overly harsh otherwise since it washes out CAM and toning ... a view under halogen for hairlines and then an incadescent for overall grade/appeal after ruling in/out hairlines works best for me.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>All this is based on the assumption that it's PCGS doing the grading, and that these are modern proofs.

The single most important thing, numero uno with them, is hairlines. They are much more forgiving of a spot or two, a nick or ding or a touch of haze, than they are of hairlining. One hairline visible at a glance, and you're in a 67 holder. Two, 66, three, 65, more no better than 64 - UNLESS the coin is so stunning that it gets a point bump.

For cameo, deep cameo designation, field depth is very, very important on modern proofs. I know some people argue that it's frost that makes the designation and, while that's certainly important, my experience tells me that the mirrors play a greater role when it comes to deep cameo.

Also, it is frequently said that a DCAM cannot have any frost breaks or fades. That is simply not true. If a coin has extraordinary mirror depth for it's particular year - I mean the kind that looks like a black hole - a small frost break or fade will be forgiven. In other words, it's the overall impression the coin makes, not any single factor.

If the coin has a spot or two, say glue for example, and it's tucked away near the rim, or hidden in the lettering, this will usually only mean a one point drop in the grade. In a more visible location, a two point drop.

Very light outer peripheral haze will only drop it a point. As the amount of haze increases and moves toward the centers, the grade drop increases. Too much haze will keep the coin out of a cameo or deep cameo holder.

Note that all of the above is subject, again, to the overall coin. One that knocks the grader's dick in the dirt with visual stunning appeal will frequently be given a little room and a one point bump.

Yes, I invariably come within a point on mine, and frequently PCGS grades them higher than I thought.

Russ, NCNE >>

Great info Russ!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Excellent info, Russ! I printed that and am keeping a copy stashed.

Craig

The Rede we live by: If it harms none, do what you will.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Russ. Very well summarized from the voice of experience image Thanks!

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    So how come a 64 kennedy has never met the criteria?? hmmm??
  • Options

<< <i>So how come a 64 kennedy has never met the criteria?? hmmm?? >>

Met what criteria? There are many 1964 Kennedy halves graded in cameo and deep cameo.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    A great thread and again, nicely put Russ!

Does anyone have good images showing hairlines? Are they the tiny marks in the otherwise clean mirror?
    Look at this Kennedy.
    Check out my coin site
    myurl
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone have good images showing hairlines? >>

Same coin, different lighting and angle:

It's a scary world out there. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I guess Russ has this figured out. To me the amount of frost is very important when determining the difference between a Cam and DCam. The depth of the fields seems to make the difference between a 67 and 68. That is, to make 68 the fields need to be a perfect mirror while a 67 might not be perfectly deeply reflective by the rims. Anyway with MrEureka backing up Russ I might not have it right.

As to frost breaks there seem to be certain years where some coins just aren't frosty in certian spots. For example the wisps of hair on a 1956 Franklin in front of his ear are not usually frosted even on DCAM coins.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    On Morgans proofs, strike is also considered. Proofs from some years were poorly struck.
  • Options
    just bumping this up so some newbies (like me) can read it....
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Wow, thanks to LBGrob, it's like flashback day for me!! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    RGL Ssaid: Very nice commentary and observations, Russ ...
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    Yup, Russ said it well image Hairlines are hard to see. One must tilt the coin under a light so one can see all angles to see hairlines. One thing not said, but implied, is that strike doesn't seem to matter much. Proofs are typically struck under higher pressure and are struck more than once so strike isn't usually an issue. Some proofs are struck less well than others but that hasn't been an issue...
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good question and great thread. Thanks for taking the time Russ to explain it all. It is appreciated.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also agree with Russ - I have had exactly the same experiences while trying to "figure out" how PCGS grades modern proof cameos.

I also use a halogen light to look for hairlines and an incandescent light for overall contrast and eye appeal.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    Thanks for the info....
    Check out my Coins at policecollection.com
    The link to Coins is at the bottom of the page
  • Options
    Thanks! Nice information.
    John
    Chance favors the prepared mind.
    imageimageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji