Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

Dark, Black, Liberty Nickels

The first Liberty Nickel I owned was as a small child waswas given to me by my grandfather. It was(is) an 1892 in F condition, but black with corrosion and gook. I have decided to try to put together a set in VG++ to VF, with all coins being very dark/black. Please PM me if you have coins like this for sale. Although I am willing to pay what these coins are worth, you will be doing me a favor. You will not get rich over what I am willing to pay for black LibNicks in F. Thanks in advance to anyone who can aid me in this whimsical quest.
I collect circulated U.S. silver

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a black 1893, I think, but it's probably only a Good. I'll check. Had a pretty nice Fine (but dark) 1889, but gave it away.

I personally don't find some black nickels totally objectionable (if they're just toned that way and not goopy.) When I was about eleven or twelve years old, I saved up my allowance for a week or two to buy my first Shield nickel (a dark VG 1866 w/rays, for five bucks). That would have been the summer of '77 or so.

The 1893 I have is part of a ten-piece lot I bagged up and am selling in my case at the mall, as a "not so nice" lot. There are some culls and some slicks in the lot, the one dark coin, and a few that aren't totally awful. I think I'm askin' $9.50 for the lot, which is probably too much, but I sell stuff pretty well at the mall and get good prices, for the most part.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.