Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rick Kay, Or Anyone - Was the Garrett Set A BB?

wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
Rick Kay, or anyone - Do you know whether the 1868 16 pc. Garrett Set was a Buyback by the consignor at the $150k hammer? This was lot 231 in the Superior Sale at Santa Clara and was the focus of several threads a few weeks ago.

Was it your impression that pattern prices were weak or strong overall in the sale? An interesting collection of pattern dollars comes up at the next Heritage sale.

Wondercoin
Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    Mitch - I thought, in general the pattern prices were strong. A few hammered over $20k. As for the 1868 Garrett Aluminum set, it went to the book at $150k. Not a tremendous amount of interest, but at $130k+, interest in most things wanes. Interestingly, I was sitting next to a couple guys who were mocking the "outrageously high" price of patterns, and when I won my lot, they facetiously congratulated me.
  • Options
    Rick: Just curious if "to the book" meant to a book bid, or back to the consignor?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    I assumed the "book" meant "consignor."
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    RKKay,

I just can't resist. image

Remember your previous assumption re: "done deals."

Hey, just pokin' fun. image
    Gilbert
  • Options
    I just confirmed it with someone at Superior that the set was indeed bought back by the consigner.
    David Schweitz
  • Options
    Hey, Gilbert. Yes, I'll never forget. My assumptions are often wrong. image
  • Options
    Dave: Thanks for reporting on the results of the 16 pc. Garrett set auction.

Rick - I understand you flew up to Santa Clara primarily to buy that set? Did you almost raise your paddle to bid? image Not sure if your Copper and Silver Schoolgirls would get along with the 16 pc. Aluminum taskmasters?

Wondercoin.

• Options
    That is why I flew to Santa Clara, and, no, I didn't even come close to raising my paddle. The set opened at $120k, and, by then, the game was over. The Schoolgirls will be lonely for now.
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    Rick,
    I was fascinated by this unique set also.
    I imagined the price tag was going to be significant but how much...?
    Were there any floor bids?
    Before your flight, what did you think it would sell for?
    Trime
  • Options
    Ron - I had done some research and noticed that the last two times an 1868 aluminum set had sold, it was for about $92k, with juice. As you know, it is believed there are two or three sets. This is probably the nicest, but I had hoped to win with a bid of around $100k, plus or minus. At the same time, I feared there would be fierce bidding. There was only one floor bid - Bob Hughes at $130k - after it had opened at $120k, already too rich for my blood. He was followed by a phone bid at $140k. It went to the book at $150k, which I now believe to be the consignor.
  • Options
    Rick: As you know, I had my eye on the set as well. My calculations were not that far off from yours either. Oh well - Central States auction should keep me busy enough image Wondercoin.
  • Options
    Maybe we'll compete for something.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file