Home U.S. Coin Forum

Buddy Ebsen, coin collector/actor, turned 95 today

I assumed he was no longer with us. Hope coin collecting had something to do with his longevity.
Does anybody remember if he specialized in any area, or did he have a little bit of everything ?

Comments

• ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    he is a wonderful man and sold alot of his coins off I think if my memory is still good back in the late 80's.....I sold him a one or two pieces a long time ago....I think he had a passion for fine early coinage
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭
    I recall that he sold off a heckofa set of gem proof $3 pieces; he wasn't "done" with collecting, but was ready to move onto another challenge. Obviously he is/was well-off; I think he must have done OK with TV residuals for Barnaby Jones and the like, though I don't know if he is able to profit off of the Beverly Hillbillies.
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I know there was a very pricey key date Seated Dime of his auctioned not long ago.
  • anoldgoatanoldgoat Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed both of those TV series. Good to hear he's still around.
    Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    I still remember the Ebsen Sale done by Superior back in the mid 80's. In fact, I probably still have that catalog somewhere. He had some superb stuff, a lot of gold, and a killer $4.00 Stella if I remember correctly.

dragon
  • NicNic Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He had some killer type coins that brought strong money at auction. They still do. K
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Besides having some killer coins, Buddy Ebsen was also offered one of the 3 leading men parts in the classic movie, "The Wizard of Oz."
    Anyone recall which one and why it didn't come to pass??

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • He was going to be the Tin man but was allergic to the body paint they had to use. I think that was him.
    Shep
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    That's right he was supposed to be the Tin Man. I'm not sure but I believe when the Golden Anniverary video package came out several years back part of the bonus material it included was Ebson's audition filming for the part. Unfortunately he reacted so badly to the aluminum based makeup that he had to be hospitalized and almost died.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buddy was a legend.

Buddy passes

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Any of us can be a coin collector. But who here can make us laugh? This is like losing Clankeye!!!! imageimage
    Alexandria Collection

It is better to dwell in the corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman and in a wide house. - Proverbs 25:24
  • Ebsen...a class act. He was also an avid sailor. While I was at the Naval Academy back around 1980, he donated a yacht to the Academy sailing center.

He was also a very big man. I'm kinda short, granted, but I did walk by him when he was at the Acvademy, and he's a lot bigger and taller than I had imagined.
  • CharlieBCharlieB Posts: 441
    My favorite Hawaii Five O episode of all time was when Buddy Ebsen
    ran the counterfeiting ring using a plane load of tourists to pass
    bills all over Hawaii. Steve McGarrett almost didn't solve that one.
    "location, location, location...eye appeal, eye appeal, eye appeal"
    My website
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I believe that the Ebsen collection was sold about 10 years ago at auction, though I don't remember what auction house handled it. He was a great actor and collector . He will be missed.
  • Great Guy!! image
  • NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Superior 5/87, lots of condition census early bust coins. He was also an artist, selling paintings in the 90's. Gunna miss Jed.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    He did pass away over the weekend. Amazing career, dancer, actor, on TV since the the early 50's. Superior handled the auction of some of his coins. I seem to remember he had a LOT of choice early gold coins.
    DSW
  • anoldgoatanoldgoat Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭
    I liked both of his tv series. He seemed like a real down to earth guy. He'll be missed.image
    Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields
  • mojoriznmojorizn Posts: 1,380
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    Yes, I am also sad he passed away. What a loss!image

Brian.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji