Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Are PCGS graded MS66 & MS67 Clad quarters worth much?

1965 non sms
1966 non sms
1967 non sms
1968 D
1970 D
1984 D

morris <><
"Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
TEMECULA, CA 92590
(951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com

Comments

• DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    How much for a 1984-d in pcgs ms67?
  • mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165

<< <i>How much for a 1984-d in pcgs ms67? >>

Exactly, that is the question I am asking...let's not get into one of those, who's on first kinda things.

mo <><

TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

• DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    It depends on how nice it is. The 84-d in the top set in existence is only a 66 at best as I placed the coin but did not pop it. It was dull and had a huge scrape across the reverse feathers. It was in an older generation holder. Is this a new pop. There are not a lot of buyers at the moment for clad quarters. PM me if you want to discuss the coin.

• I actually am a buyer of these (so I am on the other side of this equation).

If there was a dealer that contacted me for this and I had to guess to purchase this coin, my pricing opinions:
    - sight unseen (no exchanges, refunds, have a nice life) - $175 to $200 (I usually don't like this option unless I know the person selling, but even with that, I always like to look first)
    - seen with return option - $200 to $250
    - seen with return option and strong for the grade - $250+

That would be my opinion on the 84d in MS67. I would think about the same for the 65p non SMS in MS67.
    My eBay Items

I love Ike dollars and all other dollar series !!!

I also love Major Circulation Strike Type Sets, clad Washingtons ('65 to '98) and key date coins !!!!!

If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't we have more happy people ??
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would buy the coin for WAY OVER THOSE PRICES SIGHT-UNSEEN. WAY OVER.

Just PM me with an actual coin for sale image Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • I WOULD PAY AT LEAST $475 FOR EITHER COIN 65 MS67 NOT SMS OR THE 84-D IN MS67
    FORMER # 1 NOW # 3 ON ALL TIME FINEST CLAD QUARTER COLLECTION

PCGS THE ONLY WAY TO GO

Ed
  • cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    Morris:

Your thread heading asks about values for PCGS MS-66 & MS-67 clad quarters. Is the 84-D 25c in question
    in MS-66 or MS-67? The right coin (MS-67) is elusive since average mint set examples are terrible.
    However, the RIGHT original roll may provide beautiful golden-toned potentially MS-67 singles.

Where are these original bank-wrapped rolls to be found today? That is the question.

BU clad quarter rolls from 1965-1981 can be found occasionally, but 1982-1994 rolls are far more difficult
    to locate.

I know they're just modern coins, but I've had fun finding MS-66/+ clad quarters, especially the low
    population dates.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some interesting varieties on the 84-D quarter. This is the last
    date that comes with both the type "c" and the less common type "d" re-
    verse. There is also a D/D rpm, but it is quite scarce. The type "d" doesn't
    appear in mint sets so it allows one to make some inferences about the
    availability of BU rolls. It would appear that around 5,000 rolls have been
    split up and are available on the market. The number of rolls held back is
    more difficult to estimate, but certainly saving these coins in those days was
    not very popular.

The average 84-D mint set quarter is well struck. Many have attractive sur-
    faces and most of the rest aren't bad but appear a little "dark". They are
    plagued by nicks and scrapes. There are a few nice gems, but they are hard-
    er to find than most dates.

The rims on the 84-D are extremely low which caused the coins in circulation
    to quickly get marked up and worn. Today these are extremely difficult to find
    in attractive XF or better in circulation. The mint sets had a production of about
    1.8 million but this set has not been dismantled nearly as much as many dates
    of this era. There has never been a strong financial or collecting incentive to cut
    up this date.
    Tempus fugit.
  • mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    Okay, got a rundown on what is offered.

One 1984d in 67 with a few in 66
    no 1965 in 67 with a few in 66
    1966, 1967, 1968d and 1970d in 67 with a few in 66

I've looked on teletrade for pricing and so far the 67, 68d and 70d with the highest pops seem to go for around $150-$250. But overall there doesn't seem to be current info.

The guy offering them said he felt the 84d in 67 was around $1000-$1500 price level, which seemed somewhat in line with the more common clads in 67 going for an average of $200.

morris <><

TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

"The guy offering them said he felt the 84d in 67 was around $1000-$1500 price level, which seemed somewhat in line with the more common clads in 67 going for an average of $200."

Sounds like he was the smartest guy of all image

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • They are worth what someone is willing to pay for them and no more image The 84-D would probably sell for $600 to $900 if you had an aggressive buyer however the guys with the top 5 sets now are not pursuing any of the Clads that hard right now. I have some POP 5 and POP 6 Clads I have offered for $600 with no takers so they will stay with me for awhile.
    FORMER # 1 NOW # 3 ON ALL TIME FINEST CLAD QUARTER COLLECTION

PCGS THE ONLY WAY TO GO

Ed
    "I have some POP 5 and POP 6 Clads I have offered for $600 with no takers so they will stay with me for awhile."

Ed: Perhaps we can talk about a coin or two. image Wondercoin
  • scherscher Posts: 924
    mitch go get those clads...
    bruce scher
    Bruce: I just did image

Last year at a friendly dinner, I offered a couple well known "classic coin dealers" $20,000 if they could deliver me (20) 1983(p) Wash Quarters in PCGS-MS67 before the next scheduled dinner we had planned (they had around 3 months to slab the coins). If they couldn't slab (20) of them, I would simply pay $1000/coin for as many as they could deliver me - but, I wanted to make the offer for (20) so everyone was "incentivised" to try their hardest image

A couple of the guys said they would start cracking out their 1983(p) rolls the next day and that I was essentially crazy for throwing away $20,000. At the next dinner, I had to buy a grand total of -0- coins image And, it is not like a made the challenge that difficult - heck, I could have offered to pay $2000/coin for some 1963(d) Lincoln Cents in PCGS-MS67RD and really strained their eyes!! It was comforting to see, however, that after the dinner one of the classic dealers turned to "classic moderns" (1932-64).

Wondercoin