Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

No wonder the pop has nearly doubled in less than 2 months ...

Only 4 PSA 9s of this card existed as of 2/1/03, but now there are 7 ... not surprising if this qualifies as a 9:

1976 Pete Rose PSA 9

There is no way the back is "90/10 or better," or that the card overall deserves the Mint grade. I applaud the fact that the seller (with whom I have had nothing but great experiences) has posted scans of both the front and the back, and on top of that offers a 10 day return policy. If only a front scan had been provided, I bet dollars to doughnuts the winner of the card would have been a little miffed when they actually received the card.

I really like the challenge that exists because certain issues are extraordinarily tough to find in high grade. But pop reports will start becoming very misleading if inferior cards start inflating the numbers. When I checked the pop report last week, I was excited because I thought I'd have a shot at finally picking one of these 9s up ... oh well, maybe the other two new ones are nicer image.

Robert

Comments

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I saw that card also, and was very excited to see it listed and disappointed when I saw the scan. I agree 100% and I too have had several great transactions with the seller. I am sure that is the reason for showing both sides of the card ... with as hot (and out of hand at times) Rose cards are, someone else may have only shown the front.

I wonder who has the other two, and when the report will double again? I say there are 20 examples within two months.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Robert:

You should have bid on the one I had on Ebay when you had the chance image

Seriously, though, I think that PSA is dreadfully inconsistent in applying their back centering standards. Frankly -- I would be more happy with PSA changing their standards than with their applying the current standard consistently. I think that the 75/25 back centering standard for PSA 10's should be enforced. But I do not think that the 90/10 standard is fair or even applied consistently. Did you realize that even PSA 2's need to be 90/10 on the back? Thus -- per PSA's current published standards, any card that is not better than 90/10 on the back can only either be an unqualified PSA 1 or a qualified something higher.

Frankly -- for many vintage issues, the 90/10 standard on the card back is utterly impossible on any consistent basis. My favorite example is often 1955 Bowman. Those cards are really dang hard to find in PSA 8 NM/MT condition as it is. If the back centering standard were enforced for that issue, the PSA 8, 9 and 10 population would probably decrease by 60%. It is that bad, and that frequently misaligned.

Card backs have always been an enigma. The vast majority of people I have ever interacted with basically disregard the card back in full except for these broad criteria:
    a) no noticeable corner wear on the back
    b) centered well enough that you don't see the backs of other cards
    c) no huge gum stains, wax residue, etc.
    d) no markings

Absent that, the back only gets a glance. Though I agree with you about the mis-application of the technical standard in this instance, I think that the grading guidelines need to be re-written in terms of back centering.

MS

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    No question this card is low for the grade. the back is clearly beyond the 90/10 centering guidelines - not to mention the diamond cut and t/b front spacing. I truly wish the card guidelines were evenly applied. I've had several cards with similar backs sent back by PSA ungraded as miscut.
    I need that 69 Bench ASimage

• Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    I agree with MS. I usually do not even look at the back of the card, and I had never even looked at the PSA back standards, although I would now be in favour of them changing.
  • Options
    Other than what Marc pointed out, card backs are not a big concern to me. If there is a wax stain, miscut, or a mark I will not buy the card. The Rose card in question really does not look like a PSA 9 on the front, let alone the back.

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    here's a nice diamond cut 10 and the funny thing is when i get bored i play follow the cert number. after following this one front and back about 100 cards. 30 something 76 brooks robinsons in a 9,then only 13 10's and oh yeah 1 8. i think there were a few more stargell 10's and some 9's and a token 8. i stopped once it started to get into 69 9's. dsl must be millionaires by now. has anybody ever contacted them about buying a card outside of ebay?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    It looks like DSL is receiving higher grades than the rest of us, pretty consistently. If that is true, it will hurt their business in time as big buyers will avoid their stuff feeling that the majority of it is overgraded. Diamond cut cards definately shouldn't get 10's and usually not even 9's. It makes you mad when you send in perfect cards to get 8's and 9's and cards like that come back a 10.
  • Options

<< <i>It looks like DSL is receiving higher grades than the rest of us, pretty consistently. If that is true, it will hurt their business in time as big buyers will avoid their stuff feeling that the majority of it is overgraded. Diamond cut cards definately shouldn't get 10's and usually not even 9's. It makes you mad when you send in perfect cards to get 8's and 9's and cards like that come back a 10. >>

I think that has been going on for a LONG time!!!!
  • Options
    This is where the volume submitters with lousy eyes post to tell us THEY don't get the grades...

Of course there are shifting standards here. It is foolish to assert otherwise. I also do not believe that any grading company or gainful enterprise is exempt of this. It's part of the game.

As for the tilted 10...as many of you know PSA measures the narrowest margin to determine whether or not it is within the standard. Now, the card probably is very sharp and clean and may or may not be within the standard for the grade in regards to centering, but that card in a "10" holder is truly PRO-like absurd.

...don't get me started...please...
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    I own a few DSL graded cards(probably about 10) and I would have to say that honestly, I think they are overgraded. I also think the majority of buyers out there KNOW DSL cards are overgraded. Because if 2 identical cards are listed at the same time, one for sale by DSL and one for sale by say Mint State Inc. The DSL card will usually go for a significant discount(usually around a 15-20% discount).

That being said, I don't think that ALL DSL cards are overgraded, and many times I can get a card that I want at a lower price just because DSL is the seller.

Just me take,
    JasP24
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Some of you may have heard me discuss a 75T Cookie Rojas PSA8 in the past. Regardless, a scan is posted here

Now. . .this was originally in a PSA8 NQ holder. I took this card as a PSA8 NQ to PSA at the Sun Times show in November and asked that it be reviewed. The support guy took it to the back and after a few minutes he came back. When he did, he told me that the grade would stand because the back was APPROXIMATELY 90/10. To that, all I could say was I wished PSA used the same definition of "approximately" when determining if a card is 60/40 and eligible for a PSA9 NQ. Eventually, I just sent the card to Charlie and we worked something out with the card coming back as an OC - which should have been how it began life.

My personal opinion on the back of a card is this. . .on a card with a white/light border on the back, if you can see white then it's OK and close enough to 90/10. However, if you look at the left border of the Rojas there's barely a hint of white toward the bottom. . .but because of the slight diamond-cut, toward the top of that side (around the red section) there's NO white to be seen on the edge of the card.

Now. . .this whole thing comes back to - buy the card not the holder. On the 76 Rose that Joker posted, I have more problems with the front of the card - specifically T/B centering and the diamond-cut. I have no problem with the back because the white border is indeed visible on all sides. It may meet the criteria for a 9, but that doesn't mean it's a 9 that I'd like to own. Just like the PSA10 Stargell. . .so long as the diamond-cut doesn't take centering past 55/45 in the worst spot, the card still meets the criteria for a 10. But ain't no way I'd want to own it - but that doesn't mean it doesn't belong in a 10 holder.

In this regard, if you ever get up to Seattle it would be worth your while to look up Frank Smith. His 75 set is 100% complete, with an 8.70 GPA and I can assure you there's not a dog in the bunch. The guy has sent back multiple PSA10s because they weren't as nice as his EIGHTS. Phil Apostle is equally tough on his 77s. These guys can tell you, building a PSA-graded set from the 70s isn't really all that hard. Building it where each and every card(!) is one you'd be proud to own is a different story.

Once more, with feeling - buy the card not the holder.

On the subject of DSL. . .I've gotten several marginal cards from them (incl the Rojas above). . .but. . .the last batch of 72T PSA8s I got from them really were borderline 9s. As always, your milage may vary.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    For what it is worth, DSL has always provided top-level service to me (though shipping times sometimes vary....). I have always been pleased with the 9's and 10's I purchase from them. However, I will say that a large result of that is because they consistently show clear, accurate scans of their cards. No Adobe Photoshop enhancements, no patterned tablecloth in the background. Good scans often showing exactly what you are getting.

Finally -- the only issue I've ever seen on cards I've purchased from them really has to do with centering. I have never seen and/or purchased a card from them where the PSA 9 had a PSA 8 corner, or the PSA 10 had back wear, etc. Of the many complaints I have heard about the grades they get -- they all come back to centering. I have seen enough overgraded cards out there over the past 4-5 years to say that most of the legitimate overgrading complaints have to do with corners, print spots, etc. With DSL -- centering is the only issue, and the scans should advise each and every bidder as to exactly what they are bidding on.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Hi all !

What is meant by "diamond cut"?

Thanks,

Jeff
    Always looking for high-grade Terry Bradshaw and Steelers cards.
  • Options
    Jeff> Let's use the 76 Stargell as an example (see the link posted earlier). Look at the white border on the left side (vertically). . .notice there's more white border along the top and then when you look at the same side toward the bottom, there's less white border. Now look at the left side and the reverse is true - more white at the bottom than at the top. This is what happens when the image is rotated a few degrees relative to the four right angles of the corners. For diamond-cut cards, PSA measures centering at the spot where it's the worst.

Diamond-cut cards vary widely - in the case of the Stargell, it seems PSA felt that at the worst point it still measured about 55/45 or better. I've also see cards where the image was rotated so severly, significant portions of the image were cut off.

I hope this helps.
    Mike
  • Options
    GATOR5GATOR5 Posts: 654
    MS

Great point towards dsls centering aspects. Whomever submits dsls cards has
    a nice eye and knows the limits when it comes to centering. My complaint is this
    why oh why is a variance allowed in centering. This is where I have biggest ughh.
    10% variance what do you mean it's either one thing or the other for dsl I'm sure
    gets the nod for I do only 25% of the time. Writing huge submissions this becomes
    costly. I've seen it in many of my subs. Most of the time my 8's are because of
    centering. I send in a 200 card invoice with 50 cards at 62-38 and I come up with
    50 8's. Next day same submission it's 50 9's. Rewrite the rule please with a
    bottomline then you know and the big dawgs don't get the break, we all do.

Personally thats where I'd like to see a pregrade program. Also having a variance
    gives psa upperhand in saying it's totally within the specks. Then please answer
    my question of why these are not. Answer: because it just doesn't quite make the
    centering. Totally nonsense.

Reason why I'm fired up is a friend bought a psa 8 72 ryan for the scan didn't work when
    bidding. He gets the card 80-20 at best you might have all seen it. Went off 3 weeks
    ago.

• Options
    Gator> Do you think a pregrade program would reduce the number of overgrades you're seeing?

Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

Probably not, I dont see where that would help that problem.

I would just like to see the pregrade for the fact when I hit that grader
    that wont let anything in less than 60-40. Save me alot of money plus
    I could explore a little with my fence cards with blazer appeal.

• Options
    I just checked, and the card is now over $400.00 with plenty of bidding time remaining. apparently other bidders are more than willing to invest in over-graded cards.

• Options
    Based on what the last two sold for, I think folks might be surprised at the eventual closing price. Rose is just way too hot right now, regardless of how 9-worthy this particular card happens to be ...

Robert
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great point towards dsls centering aspects. Whomever submits dsls cards >>

ok i have wanted to say this for along time, as i play follow the cert with just about every 76 topps dsl card, i found one not too long ago that was evidence of trimming. ok i won't say it , but i will ask how many cases of cards do you have to go through to get 31 9's and 12 10's of the same card? the brooks robinson is not the only 76 card they have with a crazy run like that. ask rbeaton about the palmer.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Rose is just way too hot right now...

Ya think? image

I cannot believe that these types of cards are going for this much ...

WOW!

I have about 100 of these mid 80's regionals/specialty cards and I wish they were graded. Mind boggling ...
  • Options
    Frankly, I'm stunned I won the '86 #1 PSA 9 for the same amount. I also thought for sure the '86 #741 PSA 10 was going to go much higher. Maybe someone got wind of a ton of '86 Roses headed for PSA ... or maybe the sniping services were in maintenence image

Robert
  • Options
    I was going to rebid against myself on #741 with 30 secs left, opted not to image

Good job on the #1 - that was a realistic price.
  • Options
    Jackstraw,

Totally agree as to how many cases, your talking around 5 6-box racks with
    nailing the run on the head. I cant see someone with 50 robys buying them at
    1.00 a shot and putting them in a binder and sitting on them. And how would
    dsl come up with them. Yeah right.

I play follow the cert also. Some of the 81's from volume submitter to be astonishing,
    considering if they were to turn 10 yankee tc's which the did on one submission only
    sending in 12. So they go 10-12. They would have to crack 10 rack case at least
    from the razor run. I bougt one just to see and it was a slant cut with marginal
    appeal. This kind of crap will only kill the hobby for the little guy with the standards
    of having a good eye and pride! For the guy with the high standards will only get
    screwed in the long run due to high pop reports and not having a name for himself.

You don't see it as often in the vintage but in the 70's and 80's they really have let
    the volume submitter capitalize while he still can. Its really sad for in some of the
    issues you'll find them harder than vintage. Thanks Jackstraw and this thread for
    getting be geared up again.

And buy the way I'm not saying I've never caught a break. But all I want is consistency
    for this is what I do.

I said it for a long time that roses were underpriced. But some of the stuff I've seen
    of late is incredible!!!!!!!!!! I had the chance to pick up the 77 rose in a 10 two months
    ago passed it on to a buddy for he does the set, only to see him unload it. Boy
    what a mistake.

Gator
  • Options
    I have always felt that Rose is underpriced and undervalued as well. I think we are seeing a "Registry" explosion, as the Rose Master set has to be the hottest one right now. Every day there are at least 3 members with an update or an add to their set, and few sets can boast that. The completion percentage is going up about 2% per member per week on average.

1977 in PSA 10! I would have like to see that card. I am still looking for a solid PSA 9. I used to see them all of the time on ebay and have not seen one in a while.
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    You think the 75 Rojas is bad?

How about a back that's 110/-10. I recently purchased this PSA 7 rickey NQ without asking for a back scan.

At the top, the black has been cut, and at the bottom, you will see a slice of black from the sheet's preceding card.

Unbelievable. How could ANYBODY miss this? Although I normally request a back scan, this card will be a cheap reminder to ALWAYS ASK AND RECEIVE a back scan.

PSA totally blew it on this one.

BOTR

• Options
    BOTR> Link doesn't work man. Takes me to some Hotmail login.

Mike
  • Options
    sorry mike. I'll try and repost again. You just gotta see this.
    BOTR
  • Options
    Ok. On the 'backs' issue:

Mike and the rest of you, here's my newly purchased 1980 PSA 7 NQ Rickey as stated above.

It's a PSA 7 on corners alone, so this wasn't a 'no qualifiers' submission request. The serial # starts 30...., so I'm assuming its been recently graded.

Well, does this qualify for a 110/-10 back? How could you not notice this during grading?

BOTR
  • Options
    Yep. . .at best an OC, at worst a MC. If there was any blue along that top edge, I'd be cool with it.

Mike
  • Options
    That's MC - no doubt about it. the black from the next card is visisble on the bottom. PSA should have either given it as MC or sent it back ungraded like they did for cards of mine.

• Options
    I'd wager it's a clerical error - I'm sure it would have been qualified in grading.
    Why do I get the feeling, that some cards are worth money, while others are not?
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    BOTR,

Check the cert # on PSA's site (if you haven't already). I've seen examples in the past that show up as a straight 8 (for example) on the flip and as an 8 OC when you do a cert. verification. PSA does make errors every once in a while.

Anyway, let us know if that's the case or not. I've seen cards with better back centering than that with the dreaded MC qualifier.

JEB.

• Options
    Jeb,
    The cert is a straight 7; no qualifiers. Somehow, it just fell through the cracks. The seller will graciously refund my money, but I may just keep it.......................as a lesson in taking nothing for granted.

Again, I most always ask for back scans and receive them; I just didn't do it this time.

On the plus side, this may also be another collecting angle: a set or group of cards with the most outrageous unaltered miscuts, O/C's, PD's, etc. I believe I still have a few 71's from childhood that have backs which are almost split evenly among 2 players............hummmmmm the possibilities.

BOTR

• Options

<< <i>...On the plus side, this may also be another collecting angle: a set or group of cards with the most outrageous unaltered miscuts, O/C's, PD's, etc. ...
    BOTR >>

I've got some outrageous ones that got the grade that they deserved. Try collecting only the ones that slipped through PSA, like your Henderson. That would be a one of a kind set.

JEB.
  • Options

<< <i>... I believe I still have a few 71's from childhood that have backs which are almost split evenly among 2 players............hummmmmm the possibilities.

BOTR >>

Check out these 2 (or 3?) raw '74s that I have. Obviously from the same pack. After seeing the Henderson, I might submit these in hopes of a straight 8. image

In case anyone wondered, yes, each card back is pictured below the corresponding card front.

JEB.
  • Options
    mrc32mrc32 Posts: 604
    You should put those on ebay as RARE printing errors....I'm sure som poor sap would pay a bundle for them.

But us good guys don't do that...right?