Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

long-term storage; flips/kraft env/air-tites?

what is your opinion for long term storage of raw coins? Let's say coins with value from $5 to $150. Assuming the coins are stored in a fairly neutral environment. What will give the most protection from the elements, scratches, friction, etc? Flips, kraft envelopes with plastic sleeve inside, air-tites, other?

thanks,
matt
"the world is full of kings and queens, they blind your eyes and steal your dreams, it's Heaven and Hell"

Comments

• Options
    I'm an air-tite shill myself. That's where I keep my raw Morgans...
  • Options
    mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    I use airtites for my coins valued from 3 cents (NICE but common lincolns) up to $2k for some I see no need to slab.. i know what it is.

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • Options
    is there any problem with a coin banging around in air-tites.

thanks,
    matt
    "the world is full of kings and queens, they blind your eyes and steal your dreams, it's Heaven and Hell"
  • Options

<< <i>is there any problem with a coin banging around in air-tites >>

Not in my experience. I use the ones with rings, and they sit pretty snug.
  • Options
    I just started re-holdering a bunch-o-halves (about4-600 pre-frankies) and decided that good-ole 2 X 2's were the way to go for me.... Bought a Casio electronic labelmaker and a heavy duty stapler, a pair of pliers to flatten the staples,and a box-o-pages, and now Im not worrying about possible pvc, how to store them dang round holders, or getting the coins outta order in storage boxes...... I previously had bought the "same" coin several times because I just couldnt "find" it...... The 2 X 2's, pages, and a sturdy binder seem to be the answer for me........ Plus, Ive never heard anything bad about coins being stored this way..... It almost feels funny to be taking this "primitive" approach, but I see no downside..... Sometimes the old ways are the best?????
    Cam-Slam 2-6-04
    3 "DAMMIT BOYS"
    4 "YOU SUCKS"
    Numerous POTD (But NONE officially recognized)
    Seated Halves are my specialty !
    Seated Half set by date/mm COMPLETE !
    Seated Half set by WB# - 289 down / 31 to go !!!!!
    (1) "Smoebody smack him" from CornCobWipe !
    IN MEMORY OF THE CUOF image
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭✭
    The tried-and-true 2x2 method can work just fine, but be sure to use a quality 2X2.

The problem I had wouldn't affect a circulated piece (for these, 2x2s are perfectly fine), but once I had a 2X2 with a invisible pinhole in the mylar result in a nasty tone spot growing on a gem BU Washington quarter. That said, it is a cost effective way to go, especially for the amount of coins you've got to holder - for my smaller holdings, I just prefer a fancier presentation.
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    I like 2x2 daymounts (no paper dust), and Kointains placed in mylar 2x2's.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭✭
    Lastly, cut up on of your album pages and make sure they're not made out of PVC-dominated plastic. The simple way to tell is to fashion a holder out of copper wire - strip almost any old wire that's copper, and over say, a stove flame, burn off any residue. Now, with the pure copper wire, place a small amount of the album page plastic (you need only the tiniest bit) and attach it to the end of the wire by poking a hole through it, etc.

Holding this back over the flame - the plastic will shrink, curl and dissipate. If the flame doesn't noticeably change color - all is well with the plastic. If the flame burns green - beware, the stuff's laden with PVC.

Note, be careful when "playing with fire" - not recommended you do this when distracted, etc. !!!
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    I use Eagle 2X2's for my raw Washingtons. Have been for about 9 years. They do a pretty good job, and I've never really had any problems with them other than the coin staying centered. I like intercept shield holders and if they had been around when I started using Eagles, I probably would have used those instead.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    I use daymount 2x2. I like not having to staple the holders.

Tim
  • Options
    I have been kraft env with sleeve. They don't take much room but are not much good for viewing.

matt
  • Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    PCGS/NGC slabs.
    in PCGS/NGC boxes,
    in safe deposit boxes.

There is nothing like triple protection.

Brian.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file