Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Terminology Question

TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
Why is the term "Blast White" or "Bright White" used when describing a coin that is bright or blast silver, not white?
PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because silver tarnishes. Which begs the question, why do they call tarnish "toning"?image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Those terms were invented by grading services to see who could out do the other. For example, what's the difference between "deep cam" and "ultra cam"?
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here we go again...WHY? Well, because we've always done it this way.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    And what is an AToner apologizing for?
    Roy

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Those terms were invented by grading services to see who could out do the other. For example, what's the difference between "deep cam" and "ultra cam"? >>

Is it not apparent?
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options

<< <i>Is it not apparent? >>

Oh yes, it's very apparent.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Silver is the most reflective of metals reflecting over 95% of all the light that falls on it so when seen in white light it tends to have a "white" or rather lacking in any specific color appearance. Other metals (Even the other "silver" ones) selectively absorb some frequencies and have a slight blue, yellow etc tint to them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file