Options

Wanted: Registry Quality Jefferson Nickels

dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
I need the following coins for my top 10 Jefferson Nickel set:

1970-D
1981-P
1982-D
1983-P

Now, if you have these in an expensive "Top Pop" condition, then I don't want it. I want coins that cost no more than grading fee's. As soon as I get a few more, then I can go down to my local shop and buy these for face, and send them in for my free submissions.

I have bought almost every coin in this set from board members, so I hope you can help me with the rest. Sorry I am not interested in top "Registry Quality" grades, but why spend money like that on coins I have so little interest in.
Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

Comments

• Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭
    dbldie55--if you mean raw as they come from BU rolls or Mint Sets, I think I have most and perhaps all of these.

WH
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The text of your Thread request does not match the header. On the one hand you are asking for "Registry Quality" Jefferson nickels and then on the other stating you don't want to pay more than slabbing fees per coin.
    I think you need to decide on one course of action over the other.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Almost every coin in my current "REGISTRY" set did not cost more than grading fee's. I am only missing a few to complete the set. I can get raw coins for nearly face and pay the grading fee if no one has any to offer.

Just trying to finish a "REGISTRY" set, in grades less than "top" registry quality.

What in the hell does "REGISTRY QUALITY" mean to you? I want coins for a registry set! Are the elitists going to now suggest that PCGS not allow some coins in sets because they do not meet their guidelines? (we already know these people do not want them to be sold on their forum)

(Wayne, I mean coins in PCGS holders that are not top grade, and therefore not worth much more than, if even, grading fees)
  • Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭
    dbldie55--OK, then I can't help at the moment.

I always have a few coins that didn't work in each returned submission. In Jeff's it usually the ones that missed 65 FS. I often sell those for $5 to $10 or even give them away to YNs at shows. But, I cleaned everything out a couple of weeks back. We'll have to wait for some more grading brutality to see what comes up next.

I have two modern submissions pending. One is due back anyday but has no Jeffs. The other is probably gonna take about a month. Feel free to PM then to see if I have any misses.

Thanks,

WH
  • Options
    rwhiterwhite Posts: 326
    I would suspect that of all people, Pat would understand... his idea of Registry Quality is PO1-AG3!! image
    -Ryan-
  • Options
    Thanks Wayne, just what I am looking for. Ironically, the dates I still need do not show up even in grades that I "don't" want very often. I would think they are better dates, but ones people have not tried as much. I may end up doing them myself, but I am sort of patient. The new minimums suck (especially the fact they now have a minimum on errors, hard to find extras to fill a submission)
  • Options
    Thanks! I forgot the 'smilie' on my first post. dbldie55 knows me. ALL coins are "Registry" coins- whether you pay face or 10,000 face.

-It sounds like a great set of Jeffersons. I recently picked up a Dansco and am about 2/3's complete on Jeffersons- all cherry picked from a local Dealer's inventory with none (other than the 42-D) running much more than $2. with most even around the .25 range! And, these are for choice to GEM coins with tons of appeal, whether that is pastel color or full blast luster.

It's a fun set and displays beautifully.
    Good luck with yours dbldie55.

peacockcoins

• Options
    My problem is I really like the looks of PCGS holders. Now if I could only get the "1913" Liberty Nickel you sold me in one image

Out of the 3 "fakes" I have, that is by far the best.
  • Options
    DD55: Thanks! I can give you a little background on that one: I purchased what was stated as a "complete set" of Liberty nickels from AG- FN12, or so (set was really CULL to VG, but oh well).
    I was surprised to see that "1913" in the set!
    -This was before all the replicas were being offered on Key Dates and it's kind of cool it doesn't have that annoying, "COPY" stamped on it.

When you're set of Jeffersons is complete are you going to tackle the Shield nickel series?
    I just picked this one up off of eBay last week: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11952&item=3014641811&rd=1 It's since come in and looks even better than the SCAN indicated. I'm not much in the way of collecting these, but do like the design and thought the price was fair.

peacockcoins

• Options
    I am still working on my MS Liberty Nickel set, while also doing a set of Proofs and all of the error and varieties I can find (just picked up a neat clipped Liberty in MS that cost more than every Jefferson I could ever imagine owning). Not sure when I will get to Shield nickels (which is why I decided to do the Jefferson's, nice to be able to feed the need with new coins while waiting to get the ones that take some time). Same reason that I am waiting on MS Buffalo's.
  • Options
    I've started twice, and failed twice to collect the Buffalo by series. I've got a few color ones for type, but find the complete series a daunting task.

-DD55, your last post gave me pause. I realized, thinking about it, how few error Liberty nickels there are! I can't recall ever seeing one off-center although can recall seeing a few Buffalos off-center (and they're tough too).
    I wonder if the Mint was extra careful with this series or just lucky, but even your straight edge clip would be a find.

peacockcoins

• Options
    It's a curved clip, not straight image

I have 4 off center Lib nicks. Want to do a complete date set eventually. Not sure if I will ever find the 12S, as they only minted them for 5 days. Everyone needs something to pursue, for me it is Liberty Nickels. As for the Buffalo's, they were minted with a rough surface that really makes the toning look good on them. ( My dealer made the 5th 1913 MS68, an awesome coin). The set is way out of reach in MS grades for almost everyone (meaning me), while the Liberty series is not. The shield series is not easy either.
  • Options
    dbldie55; I have a 1977 PCGS MS64 I will send you if you want it. It missed FS by 1/100th of a step and MS65 because of a slight scuff in the hair. It actually could probably make MS65FS on a good day. All that said, PM me with your address and it is yours.
    (PAST) OWNER #1 SBA$ REGISTRY COLLECTOIN