Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Cherrypick: BNE, Al, etc., will this '57 Jeff CAM? UPDATE: Coin in hand

This was quickly buried on the US Coin Forum ... whaddaya think? LINK

Lovely coin, the obverse is a no-questions-asked CAM, the reverse is a toss-up, I could see it going either way. Flawless fields, just needs a little TLC bath to remove some haze. May be worth submitting as a possible CAM or perhaps the nice obverse could boost it to a 68...

Comments

• Options
    BNEBNE Posts: 772
    The obverse does look like a probable cameo. (Some trouble in the upper fields, though. . . ?) For $4, it is hard to go too wrong!
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey randy

that sweetie looks frosted which is a feat in itself, considering how most 1956-1959 jefferson's are brilliant on both sides. i find many one-sided coins like morris noted. what i have changed my thinking on lately is the importance of the mirrors to PCGS when designating CAM/DCAM. your coin seems to be hazed a bit in the fields, so it becomes a toss-up between losing what looks to be some decent tone in order to gain that liquid appearance that would highlight the frost. considering the $4 pricetag, you should go that route, IMHO.

a few months back i picked up a nice capital holdered set of proofs from 1955-1964 for the princely sum of $18 just for the 1956, 1957 and 1958 coins. the 1956 is toned quite nicely and the other two have some appreciable frost. they're in my "should i or shouldn't i" wash box right now!!image looking back at your coin it would be an easier decision for me-----a quick wash and watch those fields brighten up. keep us posted cause inquiring minds want to know.

al h.image
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Thanks, Al ... I had noticed the fields having a little haze and await a gander at the reverse. I already had thought it could benefit from a little "TLC."