Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

How much........

.....of your collecting budget would you spend to upgrade a key coin from AU58 to Top Pop one, none finer? Two coins that look the same, have the same eye appeal and about the same marks but one has noticeable high point rub. For the purpose of this example, assume it's the key coin in the set, very low pops in all grades and that the price difference is substantial.

Would you spend....

One month's budget
Six month's budget
One year's budget
More?
Less?
None?

Why?

Comments

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My budget isn't what it used to be... image Probably somewhere between "none" and "one month's budget".

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    That's a toughie. I always try to discipline myself, then I see a nice coin and reason goes out the window. I am not the one to give good
    advice on this topic. mdwoods
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    If I've got the cash..... the HepKitty will make the dash.....
    and then the top pop will be in my stash.......
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • If it's the key to my set and a pop one coin, I would gladly spend a year's
    budget to obtain it, assuming that the price is in line with where it should be.

If I don't spend the dough, I'll be kicking myself later when it's simply not
    available...besides, in a month or two, I can always increase this year's "budget". image

Ken
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's a budget....are you really that disciplined??image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Budget = net income + available credit - (green fees + golf balls) image

Darn - forgot about food! image
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    My new net coin budget is...

What I sold minus what I bought.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    TDN,

If I understand your question correctly, the (hypothetical) Top Pop coin could be any grade above AU58, and AU58 is used because of the detail of the grade. Am I correct?

If so, it would depend on the level of completion of the set I'm assembling. If the set was near completion, and the remaining coins were fairly easy to come by, I'd pay what ever it took, short of mortgaging the house, only if I had the money. The same would be true if the set were already complete.

I'll qualify that by saying I would have to be assembling a finest known set. Otherwise, I think I'd be satisfied with the AU58. Especially since in your example this coin is key, and low pops in all grades.
    Dan
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dam always has good answers, doesn't he.

Jon
  • TDN,
    If it is pop top, not just made with a hundred or so next grade down, and the coin is not a coin say less than 60 years old or so, and the numbers of the population below it are stable, then LucyBop has nailed it! I would even rearrange my other coins to collect what might be a once in a life time chance.
    I have regretted several that I have passed on, and even two that I sold to take money off the table. I so regretted selling one, that I spent a greater amount to repurchase the same date and grade!
    Really good question, it caused an emotional response instead of a mental one for me.
    Dick
  • tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Strange as it may seem, I collect coins that appeal to me. Personally, I could not care less about "top pops". I actually choose coins that have high availability. For me, I like the buffalo nickel. What year/mint should I get? A 1938-D of course. Cheap, well struck, and available.

Tom
    Tom