Home PSA Set Registry Forum

I decided to take apart the #1 1971-72 Topps hockey set

Hi, Some of you are aware that I have begun to sell cards from my #1 1971-72 Topps hockey set. I sold off most of the commons and I am now starting on the stars and HOFers. I am keeping all of the New York Rangers cards because they are my favorite. I am trying to complete the team set if anyone has any for sale. I am selling (10) PSA 8 NQ 1971-72 Topps hockey Hall of Fame and Star cards. Here are the card numbers, player names and SMR values. The entire lot has an SMR value of $388. Please forward any questions or reasonable offers for any of the cards or the entire lot to the following email address : nbdowney@msn.com
#1 NHL Goals Leaders $28
#3 NHL Scoring Leaders $15
#50 Bobby Hull $35
#60 Gilbert Perreault $22
#70 Gordie Howe $65
#100 Bobby Orr $65
#110 Tony Esposito $30
#111 Checklist $75
#114 Bobby Clarke $35
#125 Stan Mikita $18

Comments

• VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    I don't collect hockey cards and wondered why the SMR is so high on the checklist? Are they rare? Most baseball checklists are priced equivalent to commons or a little higher. Just wondered.

JEB.
  • NeilDowneyNeilDowney Posts: 840 ✭✭
    Hi JEB, This checklist is the only checklist for the set. It is treated like a star card because it is very hard to get in great condition without marks or wax backed. Thanks for the question. Neil
  • aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Jeb-The OPC checklist from the set #111 is the toughest hockey checklist to find and the most sought after in top condition.
  • VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    Thanks for the info. Though SMR is way off in most cases, it is usually a good indicator of relative value of cards with respect to one another, and I just wondered why the checklist was priced higher than stars. Thanks again.

JEB.
  • I am currently working on 62-63 Parkhurst hockey in PSA 8 or better.
    The checklist has an SMR of $500.00 in PSA 8, easily making it the most expensive card in the set. The 2 Gordie Howe cards in the set have an SMR of $300.00 each in PSA 8.
    If I plan to finish this set, I realize I must take the plunge on this card one day, thats if one ever becomes available.
    If you check SMR most 60's hockey sets ( including TOPPS ) list the checklist as the most expensive card.

JEB

The SMR on the OPC version of the 71-72 #111 in PSA 8 is $575.00 as opposed to the $75.00 for the TOPPS.image

Rob...
    Collecting PSA Vintage Hockey
  • Neil,
    Knowing your pursuit of quality material I am sure these Hockey stars are high end examples for sure. Good luck with the sale or auction whichever way you go with this.
    Tell us where those proceeds will be spent. Whats the next adventure ;-) Got a sneaking suspicion I already know. Can anyone count to 65'.
    RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!