Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Do we need rules?

dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
It seems most here do not believe in rules, and feel that popular opinion should be used to decide policy. Even when the rules are BLACK and WHITE, some will read them to say what they want.

Why do we even have them? Wasn't there a big stink recently about this?
Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

Comments

• DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Sounds like a similar situation with the legal system "looking between the lines" in our Constitution. image

Wasn't there a big stink recently about this?

Yep! I think it's like ratings week with television, here on the Registry Forum. Each quarter the topic is brought up so there's a thread with 100 responses. It also brings members out of the woodwork that don't normally participate. image
    Dan
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YAWN.

I'm still waiting for you to tell me what my JUDD-1690 is worth in PCGS-PR67CAM - you operate a Lib nickel site. Do a thread on something constructive please.

Wondercoin image

PS: You are correct about the "black and white" rule and nearly everyone on the other thread properly acknowledged that from the beginning, selling Registry coins on this board was acceptable and approrpriate. In fact, as I recall, you have even stated as much on numerous threads of yours over the years. Time to enjoy some baseball.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course we need "rules." Rules band and get shaped by common sense and necessity, and get selectively and socially enforced and debated, depending on the circusmtances.

What we don't need here is some iron-clad, inflexible "law," with respect to our conduct here.

My experience with Carol is that she has tried to enforce rules here, and not laws.
  • Do we need a thread askin' if we need rules on this forum?!? image

Carol, get the hook!!! image

Don
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Rules"? No.

Suggested Policy, yes.

peacockcoins

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey mitch

i hope you're yawning attempt at minimizing isn't because you would be perhaps the most affected by any no sale policy!!image stray over to the U.S. forum and get involved in some discussion every once in a while. it would be good for us all, . unless of course Legend hit the nail on the head.

the biggest point which was glossed right over and is yet relevant to the posed query remains a need to seperate what is Registry and what isn't. all coins are registry quality as Braddick so clearly helps us understand. as such, the arguement is rather self-justifying that we self-police. if someone lists what another perceives to be inappropriate, what will they do?? say that's not Registry quality? i would beg to differ that it is all personal opinion.

in the end it comes down to either you can sell coins here or you can't. i assume that unless PCGS comes aboard and says you can't, you can. noone can really come and say what can be sold. all PCGS coins can be used in a Registry Set if it's included in the Registry. there's no such thing as a non-Registry Set eligible PCGS holdered coin.

absent a policy change, sell away.

al h.image
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do we need a thread askin' if we need rules on this forum?!? image

Carol, get the hook!!! image

Don >>

I have 50,000 threads ready to go. I am working on automating it so it takes no work from me. What is to stop this from from happening? Selling is open game, all you need is someone with product to deliver in a PCGS holder. Any open selling rule you want is open game as long as we have a registry set to go in. How many coins does PCGS grade a month? All have a registry set they can fit in!

Remember, this thread had responses like Mitch's about his super pattern that seems to pop up when I create a thread that is unrelated, but am flamed for. As you wish. Computers are great.
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    yes rules for selling instead of getting a real job and website

way way too commercial on here

this selling part should be only for non professionals like for collectors

not for wanna be dealers wanting to make it their platform for their vested interests

sincerely michael
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    I agree and heres the black and white of it:

PCGS Set Registry Forum
    For discussions about PCGS registry sets - building them, buying them, selling them, collecting them.

Funny how some will carry on and whimper and pout. over and over and over.. Maybe it makes em feel better inside.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree and heres the black and white of it:

PCGS Set Registry Forum
    For discussions about PCGS registry sets - building them, buying them, selling them, collecting them.

Funny how some will carry on and whimper and pout. over and over and over.. Maybe it makes em feel better inside. >>

What part of the word discussions is so confusing to you again? Does this mean if we discuss murder, we actually have to kill some one?
    nothing is confusing to me.... You whine and whimper and cry.. I understand that fully.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    Just when I begin to think of this as the Dead Forum, it comes back to life (over trivial nonsense).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
    so you have to add to the nonsense eh Daddy-o?
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • izzy452izzy452 Posts: 929
    Now children , play nice. This is suppose to be hobby to enjoy. Over the last few weeks all I see is complaning .As for rules, we have had to live with rules since we were children. It 's what keeps up seperate from animals. So for the people that are still children here. BEHAVE ! and have FUN

Waltimage

• We only need RULES just for DBLDIE55 image It is my sincere hope that someone will print up a special set just for HIM with Rule #1 being NO WHINNING OR CRYING ALLOWED image
    FORMER # 1 NOW # 3 ON ALL TIME FINEST CLAD QUARTER COLLECTION

PCGS THE ONLY WAY TO GO

Ed
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think discussing how much grey area we have concerning a specific rule or policy on this forum is valid. I understand that some of you may feel that this is played out and trite, but why must you be so immature as to attack the thread originator as being a whiner?

Do you want it so that only "popular" threads are acceptable, otherwise, you must post at your own risk? Why must we be in the online equivalent of walking on eggshells?

There are many people who find it desirable to operate in a world of clearly defined boundaries. And, many others who like to operate with grey areas. How much grey area do we need? That answer is itself also a grey area.

It is pretty clear to me that this forum doesn't seem to have a big problem with the B/S/T issue. Maybe common sense does prevail here, and that the vast majority of us just know whether to post here or in the actual B/S/T forum.

But, why attack the thread originator as a whiner? Why attack anyone?

Some have said that if you don't like to read about B/S/T here, then just ignore it. Well, if you don't like to read about this matter, then just skip it. Why attack someone over a difference of opinion?

On occasion, I've received PM's from various people bemoaning the lack of civility, fun and education here and at the U.S. Coin forum. It seems that some of the people bemoaning the decline around here are also partially to blame for the overall decline in all of us as people!

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    Your never going to get away from rules. At some point, we are going to run in to one. Changing our attitudes seems to make a lot of the rules less "bad".
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
    EVP, i dont need to explain or clarify anything to you but I will... The originator of this thread has whinned over and over and threatened to post 200 seperate threads with coins for sale and has made various rantings and ravings such as that.... Its very old already. And when quotes from BJ were pulled where she left it open for this board to govern, it still wasn't enough for this person to accept it. If BJ or Carol came out and said no more selling period, I for one wouldn't have responded with threats to do this or to do that, I would accept it and move on. If the time comes when that is stated and everything has to goto the BST boards then that will be the way it goes. Many have stated some of the problems with the BST boards... I for one, have purchased some killer coins right off of this board at some great prices for my GEM Frankie set.
    In alot of these cases the sellers could have avoided these boards and put up their wares on Ebay and maybe made more money, but they gave collectors first crack at them via this board. I think this is a great and valuable plus to this board. I have only been here 1 year, but before joining I was here luking for 11 months when I lived in Portland, and I have never seen a point where this board was simply cluttered with coins for sale over Registry coin type discussions. Thats not to say it hasn't happened, and anybody can jump in here and say otherwise, just from what I have witnessed it hasn't been the case. Now, its these type of threads that are dominating these boards.

I am very much in favor of Registry coins being sold here and the discussion of what constitutes a Registry coin is a valid one. MNM posted some Registry quality proof Franklins from 1950, 51 and 52, and wound up in a mini flame war over it, and it is my opinion that the early 50s proof Franklins in anykind of Cam are easily Registry set material and he as others, do us a service by alowing us first crack at these coins.....

More high end Registry GEMS for me.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    I heard that Lucy's first language isn't english. Well, I wish we could all have the ability to say things so well in our second language. Thanks Lucy.
    I think that Quattro also said it very well:

<< <i>I believe that this board has done the finest job of self-policing. All of the posters, themselves, seem to know what constitutes a "registry coin" and consequently, there has been very little (if any) need for "corrective flaming"... >>

<< <i>Again, The ratio of threads on the front page pertaining to selling compared to threads pertaining to rules of selling is 1 to 4! Talk about clutter! image >>

Now, let's get on to something really important, like, SCORCHING DAM
    for that 1909-plain Hubbard's Cupboard story ON THE REG FORUM!?!? image
  • DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Now, let's get on to something really important, like, SCORCHING DAM for that 1909-plain Hubbard's Cupboard story ON THE REG FORUM!?!?

imageimageimageimage

I could have lied and said it was an SVDB! imageimageimageimage

Perhaps upon closer examination it will turn out to be a Proof. I'm meeting my daughter for lunch tomorrow. I'll keep the forum posted. imageimageimageimage

Dan
    Keep us "posted". imageimage
  • mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    Concrete rules...No!

Adaptable rules...Yes!

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
    So simple, so succinct and so accurate. Obviously with this discussion coming up every quarter, or so, we have had the ability to adapt when necessary. I look forward to the next quarter, or so. In the meantime...
  • khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    <<Time to enjoy some baseball.>>
    You guys are obviously not from Detroit.

Lucy,
    I agree that there is much more talk of a problem than actual problem.

-KHayse