Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

First Post - New to PSA Collecting

This is my first post. I have been watching you guys for awhile and to say the least it has been very informative and educational. I have just started my first PSA set, 1969 Topps basic. I have allot of work ahead of me and just wanted to introduce myself. My set is currently 28th and I have plans to be in the top 20 in a month or so. (as long as the wife let's me) Hope to do business with some of you and to meet some new friends along the way.

Thanks,

Glen

Comments

• Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    Welcome to the board!
  • Options
    Glen,

Welcome Aboard !!!! Good luck to you in building your set...
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    KING KELLOGGKING KELLOGG Posts: 1,157 ✭✭
    ChicagoGlen...

Welcome to the insanity!!!

Glad to have 'ya!!

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    Glen,

Welcome to the board.......you will find many of the top 1969 collectors in the world posting here. I have learned a ton from them and I do not even collect the set!

John
  • Options
    Glen.

Welcome to the boards. Good luck with your set.
    As far as the wife is concerned, tell her that you are not "SPENDING" money on sportscards rather that you are "INVESTING" in them. image

Rob...
    Collecting PSA Vintage Hockey
  • Options
    I have tried the investing angle and she doesn't really buy it. I explained that cards are like art. I said they probably have a higher resale value of any painting out there. What else can you buy for 5 cents and sell 40 years later for $100,000 like a Mantle rookie?
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard Glen. I'm glad to hear you chose to build the 1969 set. The set is definitely worth the challenge and the tough cards are starting to become available now.
  • Options
    Thanks, I am about to send in about 20 more 600+ cards. I hope they all are at least 8's. I have been lucky so far. What is the best way to know what they will grade. I sent in a few cards that I thought would all receive 8's. Two came back as 7's and I can't tell the slightest difference. I think these 600+ high numbers are nice 8's but who knows. Also, some of the cards are off center. Do you guys recommend having NQ or choose higher grade with qualifiers?

Thanks,

Glen
  • Options
    Welcome Glen,

Adding another Chicago icon to the boards is always a good thing. Maybe we will bump into each other at a Rosemont show!!!
  • Options
    Welcome to the board !
    There is alot of knowledge here, in all areas of collecting!

Always collecting PSA 10 2001 sweet spot baseball cards
    drock1026@aol.com
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Hiya Glen, welcome, a really fine place to learn and be entertained often

You may want to get some PSA 8s and try to compare them to the cards you would like to submit, using a good magnififer and proper lighting....Of course we all can't figure out why some cards come back too low, while no one complains if a card or two is graded higher than we think is probably the right grade.

Another Chicago collector is a real asset to the board, I would hope you might reside south of Madison street.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recommend no qualifiers, particularly on commons. It's best to use a lighted 10x magnifier (loupe) to inspect the corners and pick up a cheap caliper at the local office supply store or graduaded index card sold on eBay for measuring the centering. That's how PSA analyzes the cards. As for the 7's, sometimes it is a subtle difference between a 7 and an 8. Look for print defects, centering problems, damage along the edges (e.g., small notch) and reinspect the corners under a magnifying glass. You'd be surprised how a significant amount of corner wear can be present but hidden when viewing with the naked eye.

Good luck!
  • Options
    1969 Topps Tom Seaver # 480 PSA 7
    1969 Topps Mantle Checklist Card # 412 PSA 8
    1969 Topps Pete Rose # 120 PSA 7
    1969 Topps Pitching Leaders #9 PSA 8

i have these 69 topps if you need them.
    i ain't often right
    but I've never been wrong
    it seldom turns out the way
    it does in the song
    once in a while
    you get shown the light
    in the strangest of places
    if you look at it right
  • Options
    Glen- Plan on years and years of pleasure building the 69' set. I too am happy to see you have chosen it and welcome your comments on the set in the future. There are a lot of fine and active 69' collectors on this board and you should receive plenty of encouragement. Welcome aboard.
    RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    TipemTipem Posts: 881

Glen,

Welcome to the madness.Always good to see a new guy in the ranks.

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.