Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Lost PSA Submission

I recently sent in a 100 card submission to PSA and accidentally forgot to insure it. It's the first batch in 5 years that I forgot to insure and low and behold, it's gone. It didn't have much great stuff, mostly 1975 commons but they were really nice, I didn't want to lose them.

Have any of you ever lost a batch? I called PSA and they said that they get submissions all the time that are uninsured so it's not really a problem with them getting stolen.

If your wondering how I forgot to insure them, I had my wife send out the mail and I normally write "Insured for $XXX" in the top right corner but forgot too this time. It's a mistake that I won't make twice.

What I'm counting on though is that I had 8 of my rare Football cards in that batch that are all serial numbered to 30 so if I find somebody on EBay selling them, I will nail them. Wish me luck.

Comments

• carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭
    Same thing happened to me, however while I insured it (for much less than value), I did
    not send it registered.

My package never made it to PSA and a Postal inquiry went no where. I was sent an Insurance check however.

My advice is to send it registered as PSA suggests. I would have much prefered my cards back.

Someone along the delivery line knows whats in these packages. Beware.

Loves me some shiny!
  • I have never lost an invoice, but have talked to severla people that have lost them. I suspect it happens more than anyone would like to think.
    I need that 69 Bench ASimage

• Why do you think that PSA sends 99% of their mailings registered?
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Exactly. PSA states to send it U.S. registered mail.

I've had the post office lose everything from credit card payments to packages before, so I don't ever trust them. Everything I send is delivery confirmation even for regular mail.

But, unfortunately PSA pretty much tells you how to do it. If you choose to do it your own way, well that's what happens.
  • UllrUllr Posts: 184 ✭✭✭
    I recently sent a submission to PSA/DNA. I overinsured it but did not pay for delivery confirmation. I was paranoid some postal employee was going to see all that postage and swipe my cards. I know I'd get my insurance $$$ back, but the cards were more important.
    Needless to say I finally got my PSA email saying my cards had arrived, but there were some anxious days beforehand.
    NEVER AGAIN - Delivery confirmation from now on.
    collecting '67 & '75 red sox + baseball HOF autographs
  • I always thought it was sort of lame that we have to pay extra(insurance, delivery confirmation, etc.) to a federally owned and operated institution in order to assure our cards get there safe and sound. I realize mistakes happen, but with the post office, they seem to happen a lot.
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Well, the USPS is now only a quasi-federal institution. I believe for the past few years it has tried to operate fairly independent of the government, overall, and particularly in terms of its financial health...
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, the USPS is now only a quasi-federal institution. I believe for the past few years it has tried to operate fairly independent of the government, overall, and particularly in terms of its financial health... >>

The ironic thing is that the post office cannot ask for money from the government, but if the P.O. turns a profit, it has to send that money to the fed government. Doesn't seem fair, does it?

Incidentally, thanks to this thread, today I sent my package to PSA via registered/insured mail. I used to send it Priority but no longer after reading this thread!
  • WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've been sending them for about 5 years and a couple months ago I mailed off 5 submissions all at once totaling about 500+ commons from the 1970's. There were nothing good in them but I sent them registered with full insurance for PSA 9 price (because 95% of them came back 9 or better). To my surprise at the post office I shelled out about $85 to mail them. Afterwards I realized that it was kind of stupid to pay $85 to mail a stack of commons (one way! another $190 in return shipping that I paid PSA) considering in 5 years sending to PSA and 4 years of buying and selling on Ebay, I have never had a package lost, insured or not. So I decided that unless I was sending something good, I would just insure it for about what I'm into them for so it would only cost me a few bucks to mail them. And my first time trying it, they're gone. Like I said before, I forgot to insure them. I'm not sure if they would have gotten stolen had they been insured but I'm not taking chances anymore. I am also going to contact the Post Office and hopefully they can set up something to catch the person stealing them. I don't know if it's at my end or a postal employee in Newport Beach but I hope they throw away the key on the jerk that ripped me off. Just venting some more frustration. image
  • BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Mine have always been sent registered mail
    (only because they said to)
    but Registered mail is a huge pain in the butt.
    Packaging requirments are crazy.
    imageimage
  • WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Update on the submission, PSA finally either received it or just now decided to tell me they received it on 3/31/03 which is almost 4 weeks after I mailed it. I'm just glad not to be out the cards but I could have done without the stress. I guess I learned my lesson without actually losing anything so I am grateful for that.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mine have always been sent registered mail
    (only because they said to)
    but Registered mail is a huge pain in the butt.
    Packaging requirments are crazy. >>

I here you. I hate having to put that cardboard tape all over the package. I made the mistake of using clear packing tape on my last submission. They made me put the paper tape over it at the counter. Using that little spunge they give you, I drenched myself and the counter trying to wet the tape.
  • I feel your pain gemint. Did the same thing. Now I buy all needed supplies and do it home and with the past experience I seem to satisfy the PO for every package mailed out. Roll of the dice without insurance.
  • VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    I made the same mistake on my first submission to PSA. I packaged the box and taped it up really well with clear tape. When I got to the post office, they told me I couldn't send it by registered mail sealed this way. I ended up just insuring the package for $1000 and sending it by priority mail and had no problem (although it cost me about $25).

Let this be a lesson to any first time submitters - package your box with the brown paper tape and ship registered mail. The insurance rates on registered mail are much cheaper as well.

JEB.