Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Superior Auction

Well it looks like for the first time in quite a while that I'll be a non-winner in the latest Superior Auction. I just checked 4 auctions that I had an initial interest in and they've all gone into the "insanity zone". Perhaps this is a sign that the market picking up -- which is good.

I'm still in disbelief that the '69 Shannon PSA 9 is now over $600 (with the juice). That's well over twice of what I considered paying for that.

One bargain in the making is the complete '68 Topps Baseball complete set. It's about $2,500 under SMR. Perhaps one of you "set busters" will raid this one at the last minute.

Anyone else still in or out?

Comments

• Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    Dan,

I bid the 1967 Horton PSA 10 up...if it goes any higher...the cosigner will have to do the bidding.image

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    I am currently still "IN' on all 3 of my 1964 Topps lots... although 1 of them has been inching towards my maximum..... I guess I'll have to wait and see what happend later...
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Alan,

The '67 Horton was one of my four "initial interest" auctions.
  • Options
    Iwas the high bidder of 13 auctions this morning but now im down to only 4image.
    Check out my new web site: Monsters of the Gridiron
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting about the Superior Auction. I totally forgot it was closing today. I am currently high bidder on a couple of basketball cards. I doubt my bids will hold up.
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    I'm still the high bidder on 3 of about 40 lots that I placed bids on. I don't know if they'll hold up though. One is at my high bid, and the other two are within $20. I originally placed a bid on the '69 Shannon - I was outbid on the first day it was listed. Currently at $530!!! Ouch! I can't justify that for a common card no matter how low the pop is.

JEB.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $100 for a 1969 PSA 8 Bill Rigney? I don't view that as a very tough card. Am I missing something?
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭

<< <i>$100 for a 1969 PSA 8 Bill Rigney? I don't view that as a very tough card. Am I missing something? >>

I agree completely. My top all bid of $16 was surpassed weeks ago. Don't understand it myself.

JEB.
  • Options
    JEB and gemint,

Yes, some of the '69 bidding was totally bizarre. Congrats to the people who consigned those cards!
  • Options
    Dude,

While we are on the subject of 1969 Topps low pops, what would you consider a low pop card for 69? 5 or less in PSA 8?

I just got back a submission where I was trying to just submit lower pop cards. My attempt at the 69's was pretty weak, getting mostly 7's. But I did get a Dennis Higgins #441(Last name in Yellow) in an 8. The pop report shows two 7's and seven 8's. Would you consider this a low pop? If I run an auction on it, would it be worth mentioning these pops? Seems to me single digit pops might strike a cord with some bidders.

Thanks,
    Bruce

P.S. Stay tuned for my 1962's, many of them came back 8's and and low pops(single digits).
    Looking for:
    1953 Topps in PSA 8
    1941 Playball in PSA 8.
    1952-1955 Red Man cards in 7 and 8
    1950 Bowman in PSA 8
  • Options
    I usually highlight pops less than 10 in my title. It's strange with the '69s. Some low pop cards command high premiums while others don't. Part of it depends on the popularity of the player, the team and if it has been hyped as a low pop card. Another important factor is listing it at the right time. Just hope you list it when more than one person who wants the card really, really bad is watching your auction. image
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    i bid $94 for a 1949 bowman psa 8.
    the common sold for $5000.
    from a contrary standpoint i'ld say
    we havent seen a REAL bear market yet.
    that aint good considering the 3 years
    just past.
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    Well, I seemed to do okay with a bunch of 71's and 72's and some 53 Bowman Color PSA 8's, although I was shocked to be outbid at some huge price on a 53 Bowman Color Marty Marion PSA 9 that had PSA 8 centering. The competition seems a bit fiercer in Superior than even on EBAY. I hope, as do the others, that this signals continuing health in the baseball card market whilst it is still tough to find other investment ideas these days (although I still personally put more money in the old fashioned investments).
    Collector of baseball PSA sets from the 1970's & hockey rookie cards; big New York Rangers fan (particularly now that they are sleeping with the enemy with Holik and Kaspiritus). Also starting to collect 53 Bowman Color as I think they are the most beautiful cards I have seen.
  • Options
    I was shocked when I woke up this morning and had actually won all 5 cards that I had bid on last night. Each card was under smr. One card was 60% of smr probably because it had a penny sleeve inside the holder. I'll have to reholder that one. All in all I was very happy.

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    GATOR5GATOR5 Posts: 654

Ended up with a few of them cherry 63's. I would have bid on more yet totally forgot
    the auction was ending last night. Found alot of them went really cheap in fact most
    of them went cheap for the quality of the cards. Lots of the hi pops went for 12.00 and
    under. Being some of the best I've seen I was disappointed for I would have at least
    went 15.00 across the board..
  • Options
    I was skunked on the few obtuse lots that I bid on

Mastro's next month. image
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    Bought the 72 Killebrew IA 10...hoping to complete my set sometime this yr.

EO
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Bid on one lot. Lost. But I made sure the winner paid a high price.

aconte
  • Options
    The53Kid,

There are about 7 aggressive '69 set builders, so you should do pretty good with the Higgins. Good luck!
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    I was shutout too Dan. I bid on quite a few of the 69 Supers and didnt win any. I put the Shannon to $500 and was outbid.

Bob
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    I won the big goose-egg too... but after plunking down almost 5 grand for the 71 set on eBay this week, I spent the last few hours watching rather than bidding.

Eric - I thought long and hard about putting the bid to $1050 (since I was the guy $1 below you) on the Killebrew IA, but since I already have a pretty 9 and the 10 would only move me up another .002 GPA. So, I put my wallet back in my pocket...

Chris - I'm assuming that you snagged the other 72 - 10's along with the group of 25 - 9's? The 10's were too rich for my blood and I only needed 5 of the 25 - 9's so again - I bailed.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    66 Catfish blew past me at 350. Superior's stuff gets insane pretty frequently. Over the past eighteen months I've started to take the whole thing with a grain of salt. I typically won two or three lots in each auction prior to that. Now I simply get the catalog, appreciate the images on the web-site, and say "If I had truly unlimited rescources..." Congrats to those with such rescources. There were some nice and relatively difficult cards to be had.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

A little off topic: but did anyone on this board snag the 53 Bowman Color Reese from the Madec auction?

John
  • Options
    gaspipe26,

The Shannon went for $610. I wonder if a PSA '69 Registry member won it?
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    dgf,

I agree. i wonder if the red man card would of came even close to that on ebay. I wanted that
    card but not at an insane price. I just put the wallet away too like some of the other guys.

aconte
  • Options
    Dan,
    Actually I bid $505. The final bid was $530. The juice puts it to a whopping $609.50.

Bob
  • Options
    I didn't get near the Shannon for that price. image I'd rather buy another PSA 8 Reggie Rookie if I were going to drop $600+ on a '69. Just think, you could buy a '69 Clemente PSA 9 for the same price.
  • Options
    I won all 3 of the auctions I bid on, and each for sigificantly less (total of $500) than my maximums. All in all, a good auction.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    The PSA 8 set collectors seem to be ruling the show, continuing their trend.

Which would you rather have:

1949 Bowman Bob Swift #148 PSA 8 NM/MT for $4,715

Here

or

1949 Bowman Jackie Robinson #50 PSA 8 NM/MT for $2,760?

Here
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    gemint,

I agree with you. $600+ could go a long way with some HOF cards in the '69 set. The Shannon has a Registry Weight of 1.
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743

<< <i>66 Catfish blew past me at 350. >>

i thought that was REAL LOW.pop 3 and
    centered.that card's worth more.oh well
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    The 1969 PSA 9 Shannon card is a high end PSA 9 with symetrical centering and wonderful eye appeal. If I were the winner, I would not be too concerned about other PSA 9's of this card that may crop up in the near future. It may have a registry value of "1", but for someone attempting to build a top notch set with stellar centering features, this was a good buy.

The comparison to the 1969 PSA 8 (or lower grade) Reggie Jackson is not pertinent. If one wants a PSA 8 Jackson, it can be found and you don't have to wait months or get involved in a competitive auction to obtain it in contrast to a valid PSA 9 Jackson (considerably more expensive than the PSA 9 Shannon card image )

In time, it will be interesting to see what a 1969 PSA 9 Tom Satriano will bring in sale. In addition, we may realize that the 1969 PSA 9 Mike Andrews was a bargain if its difficulty persists when the economy improves. Nevertheless, it is becoming evident that I will be a bystander if and when the 1969 PSA 9 #85 Lou Brock is ever unearthed!

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.
  • Options
    chris, that '53 bowman marion is 1 of 2 psa 9's, and charlie merkel has the other one...there are a couple of us trying to put the set together in psa 9, so when a card like that comes along, the bidding can get a little out of hand. console yourself with knowing that bidding would have gone a fair amount higher if needed.
    Got any PSA 9's from the '53 Bowman Color set?
  • Options
    StumpStump Posts: 927
    Wow if I was the one who won the Shannon and I am not saying it was me but I'm not saying it wasn't I might be afraid to reveal it. I agree with Ray the Shannon has great focus and is pleasing to the view. It seems there is some bashing going on to the buyer who may be only a true collector and not an invester. Time will tell who the big spender was but they aren't growing these Shannons on trees. It is truely a rare card in this grade. Right now.

Dave
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    If no more psa 9 Shannon cards ever come available then it was a GREAT buy! If 10 more get graded next week then it was money wasted. I think odds are decent there aren't that many 9's out there so I don't think it was a bad buy. Congrats to whoever won it!

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    I'm not sure if my posts are really perceived as bashing the buyer. If the person who bought it is happy with the card and could afford it, that's terrific. Who knows, maybe Mike Shannon himself bought the card. image My curiosity is with the hype of this card compared to others. There are at least 65 other '69 Topps cards (and that's excluding the tough variations) that have yet to be graded 9. On top of that, there are at least another 50 that are PSA 9, pop 1 of 1's. Why hasn't the collecting world gone bonkers over those other 1 of 1 cards?
  • Options
    In reply to Frank Bakka's question on the 72's, I took the 10's but did not bid on the 9's.

In relation to Burrite's comment on the 53 Bowman Color Marion in 9, I understand the low pop, but I was surprised that in the last MastroNet auction I got the Campanella (granted not the nicest of my 53 Bowman 9's) in a 9 at just a marginal premium to SMR and I got the Monte Irvin at 2x SMR and I think both of those cards have a pop of 5 or less.

I thought about bidding more as I am also trying to pick up 9's when I can but the centering was not good enough for me to really up the ante (I care more about centering than a very small nick on a corner, for example).
    Collector of baseball PSA sets from the 1970's & hockey rookie cards; big New York Rangers fan (particularly now that they are sleeping with the enemy with Holik and Kaspiritus). Also starting to collect 53 Bowman Color as I think they are the most beautiful cards I have seen.
  • Options
    TO JEB
    THE RIGNEY CARD IS A TOUGH CARD. YOU ARE MISSING SOMETHING!! . NOTE THAT NONE OF THE TOP 69T REGISTERS HAVE THAT CARD, AND MY PSA5 DOES NOT ADD TO MY SET (ALTHOUGH IT IS A 1 OF 1)-- RON
    TWINRON
  • Options
    BRUCE
    #441 HIGGINS PSA8 IN YELLOW IS 14 IN THE POP REPORT, ALSO THE LATEST POP HAS DRASTICALLY SWITCHED THE WHITE AND YELLOW POPS .... I HOPE PSA CORRECTS THIS SOOOOON. RON
    TWINRON
  • Options
    gemint,

You can tell everyone what I sold the Andrews in 9 to you for !!!!

I'm going to go to Mintxpress Monday or Tuesday to see the 1969's. Any requests?
  • Options
    Well, I just noticed, Mon will be too late. Oh well.
  • Options
    Well I guess you are going to see it in my set any way so it was me that won the Shannon 9. I will give you guys the reason I was willing to pay what I did. The last 5 Shannons on ebay I lost, the 8's went for over 200 the nine went for 530 or so and the SGC 96 was also high but I cant remember exactly how much. Regardless I was a little sick of losing out on these cards. Second I felt it important to keep the card in the registry. It belongs there and soon I will be adding scans to my set . I also have some more 1 of 1 nines in my set. I am attemting to build this set in 8 or better. This has proved to be somewhat difficult. Lastly if another card of Shannon nevers grades a 9 this particular card will have some folklore to it. Following is a list of cards I won.
    1969 PSA 10's
    Gomez 74
    Gibson 89

1969 PSA 9's
    Ryan 28
    Shannon 110
    Sembera 351
    Yankees 376
    NL Rooks 624

1969 PSA 8's
    Rodgers 157
    Snyder 201
    Romo 267
    Tartabull 287
    Boyer 489

1972 PSA 8's
    Nolan Ryan 595
    Clemente 309

1973 PSA 8
    Schmidt 615

1975 PSA 8
    Yount 223

All in all I won most of what I bid on. Imissed the 67 Horton 10 the 69 card 182 and the 69 Holtzman

Dave
  • Options
    Dave - very impressive and most of all congrats on the Shannon. Great to see it stay in the registry and I am sure I speak for others; it will be great to gaze upon that scan from time to time. Your set is shaping up to be very nice in its own right and I wish you well as you meet the final challenges to completion.
    RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    Ray

Thanks for the kind words. I love this 69 set and the guys who build are some of the finest on this board. It was something I wanted and I got the wifes blessing. It dont get any better. I will continue to build I have the rest of the set in raw and will be submitting soon.

Dave