Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Type Set Conundrum - A Possible Solution?

As a possible solution to my type set conundrum, I have been talking to David Hall for well over a year about launching a basic types only type set. It would have about 37 pieces, one of each major type. I tried again on last night's Q&A Board and got a favorable response. Maybe the solution is at hand.

Link

Comments

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I'm trying for a 20th Century Type Set (with all copper/silver/gold major design)
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    Greg,

I am behind you 100%. That is what I have been hoping for all along. The C/N/S Type set is the closest one I could find. Would that set end in 1964?

Meanwhile, still searching for a nice AU58 Barber Half, plus a few more(lol).

Larry
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Greg,

I am also on board 100%. I would like to get an XF type set going (cant afford those beautiful 19th century MS coins), but I am not interested in all of the varieties with respect to rays, mottos.. etc.

I think when PCGS gets this registry going it will be VERY popular.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    Not having a set like this has kept me from continuing my US type set into the 1800s and venturing off to the Darkside. I may have to start again.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greg,

Not sure why you are so driven by what PCGS says you need, but I think this would be a much more obtainable set for many and much more enjoyable too.

I read HRH's response, and I hope they put this one in place.

Won't make me want to create a type set though, other than the one's where each type consists of a different date/mint!
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    I just ordered a 7070 Dansco album for type set. I'll be focusing in on getting that one completed. Of course it will be circulated coins and won't show up on the registries but will fun to work on.
  • Options

<< <i>I think when PCGS gets this registry going it will be VERY popular. >>

Indeed it will be very popular, two points though, if i may add... 1) make sure they keep the gold in the set and 2) give significantly more weight for the hardest of the types.

then i'd be happy image
    Life's a journey, not a destination.
  • Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    One Year Types:

I don't know if gold will be included if and when this set is created. Back about 1-1/2 years ago, when this issue was discussed in detail, the general thought was not to include gold because there is already a basic gold type set. It has a lot of players and is listed under specialty sets in the gold section of the registry. Take a look and let us know if you think that set serves the needs of basic type gold collectors. Of course, I would agree that the harder types should get most weight, and I'm sure that will be done.

Greg
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    why not just do both - it's not like they're trying to minimize the number of sets. Have a basic copper nickel silver set, a basic gold set and a basic combined set.