Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Warning!, passing on the complete type set

Just a heads up that with the addition of a PCGS MS-62 1837 50 Cents' piece, I move from #7 to #5. Please do not be alarmed.

Tom

http://www.pcgs.com/new_set_registry/display_coins.chtml?regsetid=2067&alltime=no
Tom

Comments

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Good job Dude.image
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    No problem for me, I'm way behind you now image

Congratulations!!!! A top 5 complete type set is awesome! %50 complete is pretty neat. That is how tough this set is, a %50 set is #5 and probably took years to put together.
  • Options
    very cool. But how did your 3 cent go from an MS63 to an AU58? did you loan it to someone and they put a little wear on it? Did you put one cent more than "your two cents worth" into a conversation? I don't understand.

Mike
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Mike,

I cracked the 3 cent silver out of a PCGS MS-63 holder to put it in my type book. Learning more about coins, I submitted most of my collection to PCGS and the 3 cent silver was among them. It came back from them as an AU-58. The coin is so tiny that wear is almost just an opinion.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Cool. With my latest, I'm back up into the top 20
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    ZerbeZerbe Posts: 587 ✭✭
    Congratulations ! That complete type set scares me ! I did the numbers on that set a year ago, and I stopped thinking about doing the set when I realized a complete set is well over $1,000,000. That would not even put it at number 1, but I guess it would be in the top 5. Soooooooo many coins to find also. I have trouble just doing a 24 piece set. You need a lot of patience to complete that set, not to mention the $$$$$$$$$$$.
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Zerbe - If you completed the set exactly the way PCGS has it organized, yes, it would be way too expensive. Unless I win the lottery, I will never finish it. It makes it very interesting as you get one example of each coin, lots of variety. True, I may never get a 1796 no stars quarter eagle, but that does not stop me from getting as many as reasonably possible. Sure, it will take time and I think for me going forward, it will be slow. If I get two coins a year, I will be happy.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Tom. Wow - that's an incredibly well struck 1859 IH cent you have.
  • Options
    ZerbeZerbe Posts: 587 ✭✭
    Tom, Good luck on your hunt. I think the complete type set is the ultimate Registry set, and sometimes I wish I had started with that set instead of doing a dozen different sets. But then, I suppose not too many people, who start collecting coins, would jump into a set of that magnitude. Maybe when I have more free time for myself, I will consider that set and give it the time and effort it deserves.
  • Options
    What sucks is 3 of the top 5 have their sets blocked from view. What's the story here? Why bother?

I pulled my set months ago when I realized I prefer to collect differently and the Complete U.S. Type Coin Set (1792-1964) is kind of bogus with 3-4 pattern coins which I don't collect anyway. Why buy them to just include in a stupid set, nevermind the financial comittment.

Wish PCGS would allow a set where you call the shots, like the best au58 Dahlonega set or the best date run Lib $s