PSA 1983 Topps Walter Payton NM7 $2.00

PSA 1990 Bowman Bernie Williams NM-MT8 $3.00

Comments

• Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    Wow!!!

Sign me up. I'll take two of each. image
  • Options
    I am still waiting for that break out rookie from the 86' set so it gives me reason to break open my sealed vending case! Ugh!
    RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    Ray,

I hate to break the news to you, but 100 years from now, that set will still be worth less than $10. image

JEB
  • Options
    JEB - I am only really still holding on for when I finally set sail someday. I can tie a rope around it for a really good boat anchor! :-)

RayB
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options

<< <i>JEB - I am only really still holding on for when I finally set sail someday. I can tie a rope around it for a really good boat anchor! :-)

RayB >>

Ray,

Great idea. image

Probably cheaper than an anchor. Personally, I'd break open the case, toss the cards in the trash, and use the boxes for storage. image

JEB.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    will you do a dollar on the dorsette?

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

<< <i>will you do a dollar on the dorsette? >>

Jackstraw,

At $1, don't forget to ask for free shipping. image

JEB.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    do you think he will talk paypal image i hate to make fun because he might really need the 95¢. thats free and clear after paypal feesimage
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    KING KELLOGGKING KELLOGG Posts: 1,157 ✭✭
    RayBShotz...

Call me crazy...PM me...I'll take that 86 vendor off your hands...

With the cash, you'll be able to buy a new shiney anchor.

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    I believe that, in the long run, 1986 Topps baseball will be like motor oil -- you will have to pay to dispose of them. They may not be toxic, but if we allowed unrestricted dumping of vending, wax and rack cases, our landfills would be overflowing . . .

POTD = 09/03/2003
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    DrNguyenVanFalk:

Though I don't disagree, I believe that 1986 Topps baseball will be the toughest 1980s Topps set to find cards in PSA 10 condition. Overall this means very little -- but there will be a huge demand for some of the star cards in top grade. For example, there is a Pete Rose PSA 10 on Ebay right now that I think will realize a huge price:

Here's the link.

I think with most sets from the 1986 - early 1990s time period, most of the commons eventually will be thrown away. Star cards in many of those years just keep going down in price because of the abundance of them (think Randy Johnson, Barry Bonds and Greg Maddux rookies) -- however, I think a few specific years and sets will continue to have decent prices for some of the cards in top, top condition. I think for the next few years, 1986 Topps PSA 10 cards will realize strong prices (assuming people continue to send these cards in for grading).
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Although this thread spoofs 86 Topps, MikeSchmidt is right. The cards are common to find, but try getting them graded. Virtually impossible to get a 10. 9's are very tough too. Aside from the usual problems with black bordered cards, the issue is plagued with miscuts and bad centering. Also, just by touching the black portion of the card, you are guaranteed to leave fingerprint marks.
    You won't see anyone putting a set together, but as the set is now 17 years old, the stars are worthy of grading.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    GATOR5GATOR5 Posts: 654
    Fab and MS

I totally agree very impossible issue.

Somebody once told me I was crazy for doing 81's. Now more than a handful
    will tell you its a challenge above all. So someday the set will find a spot in the 80's.

Guru's next project?????????Maybe after I have eye surgery after doing 81's.image
  • Options
    Marc and Frank, you are right of course, the 1986 Topps set is difficult in high grade, but I just worked with the material I had . . .

It is interesting that late 1980s cards of certain "collectible" players sell well in high grade. It's also interesting who is on the list of collectible players and who is not. Pete Rose, Mike Schmidt and Cal Ripken are fairly hot. Ryne Sanberg, Dave Winfield and Gary Carter don't sell. It's probably worth it to grade a raw 1988 Donruss Nolan Ryan, Wade Boggs or Don Mattingly if you think it has a shot at a PSA 10. The same can't be said for a 1988 Donruss Eddie Murray, Rafael Palmiero or Robin Yount. It will be interesting to see if the Registered Player Sets get the same traction as other Registered Sets. Who knows? Maybe someday that 1989 Topps rack case sitting in my closet will someday be worth more than the cost to ship it; but because of its availability, and availability in high grade, I doubt it.
    POTD = 09/03/2003
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Well -- my impression is this:

At some point -- the uber-collectors of the hobby (think Fogel, Merkle, Davalillo, etc.) are not going to put together graded sets. Not sure what that cut-off will ultimately be. 1973? 1982? Who knows. Right now, the cut-off seems to be about 1969 -- earlier for some collectors. Though you may have random collectors putting together completely-graded Topps sets from the late 1980s, I cannot in the foreseeable future see any number of collectors following that pattern. Thus, those who have completed the sets that they plan to complete in graded form may just collect cards after that of star players.

Mike Schmidt is a good example. I really can never fathom anyone putting together a graded 1987 or 1989 Topps set. You can purchase cases of the product today for less than when it was released. But -- there are player collectors. And maybe one day there will be more. Putting together the "Basic Player" sets for many HOFers will be the natural evolution, in my mind. Again -- there is a cutoff, as I can't see many looking to complete a Barry Bonds basic player set, for example (at 1,000+ cards or whatever....) Thus, the HOFers, especially in a 10 grade will have a healthy market for the forseeable future.

Just my thoughts of course. If you have those older, richer collectors who are largely done with their vintage sets -- perhaps they will start to migrate toward modern. For example, Marshall already seems to be putting together a very respectable Pete Rose player set -- though he may never put together completely-graded sets from the majority of Rose's playing years. I think this natural extension will continue. Only time will tell.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Another interesting point. With all the Retro sets picturing retired players, collectors could expand their player sets if they chose too. This might keep vintage collectors interested in modern/new product.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    On the issue of the tough '86s, I completely agree that high-grade copies of key star cards will command high prices for quite a while. In addition to the PSA 10 Rose #741 currently listed, keep an eye on the PSA 9 Rose #1 card. It is the first (and only) 9 graded, with no 10s at the moment. A quick scan as the registry will tell you that a lot of people will be watching that card, as well as the next 5-10 copies to get graded as high. Similarly, I would expect the first PSA 10 Schmidt (none currently exist) to garner a ton of interest (though I know who I'd bet on to win the card image).

I guess the point is - I wouldn't discount the "value" of unopened '86 Topps product quite yet. Personally, I love being able to go back in time and open packs from my childhood at a *discount* to what I paid as a kid!

Robert
  • Options
    GATOR5GATOR5 Posts: 654
    MS

Great points---I can't see the big boys spending time to do 81 topps for one they
    wouldn't have the time, and would seem to be more of a hassle than pleasure...I
    don't even see the set being able to be completed in high end 9 an better period maybe but its
    going to take alot more product to be opened and put it this way half of the product
    left isn't worthy of high end.

Being a small world when building a modern set they will find it hard to find the commons unless
    your building it for them. So what you might see is completely graded sets sell in the
    modernera. They may pull the trigger a little easier knowing that its done and for what
    probably not for the result we'd all like. Then all they need to do is upgrade if they feel
    fit.

Samedeal with 86 topps tons and tons of product but for what tons of 8's...When you
    get into the runs you might find the good ones but then what you break all the killer
    product and your left back to the slow going crack a rack case find 30 cards
    that might have a shot 10 of them you don't really want to send for they are dogs but
    will make it on the technical side 4 of them are doubles...You start doing the math you
    put 5 guys on a set cracking cases for 2 years the #'s will dry. And for what to get
    a bunch of guys at 75%. And when I say these #"s alot has to go to the fact as being
    a true high end 9.

This only applies to certain yrs in my opinion 77,79,81, 86. Do I see any of the others
    being a problem I doubt it. But if the quality resides and the myth of the set is nearly
    impossible somebody will want it.

Just my thinkingimage Then again I think to muchimage