Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Proof Jeffersons $400 for a PF67 and $9000+ for a PF68. Are they really worth this premium?

There are three PCGS proof Jeffersons currently for sale graded PF68 - two 1941 (pop 3) and one 1942 type 1 (pop 2). All of these coins are being offered at over $9000 with the next lower grade selling for $200 - 400. Are these PF68 coins really worth the premium? Is the market this strong?
(The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)

Comments

• Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Frank: The prices struck me as high consider the three 68s were recently made -- a harbinger there is likely to be more. I would think $7,000 might be in the ballpark for the top registry collectors with healthy wallets, but $9k strikes me as very high ... There doubtless are some very high end 67s out there that are decent regrade candidates for 68 if PCGS is in a giving mood.
  • Options
    With spreads like that I would expect the "reported" population of PR67's
    to grow very quickly as people submit the same PQ coins over and over
    (and over and over) trying to make the next grade!

Ken
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .........and we are left with the inherent innacuracy of the pop report. it's a funny thing how pricing for the undergrade is oftentimes delegated by the low-pop high grade. in Ken's scenario, the 1-2 extra 68's end up telling us that there are more 67's so the price goes down.

i just got home from a club meeting. picked up nine 1948-S jefferson's that are so beautifully toned it's mind boggling. a quick pop check shows 47 or so in the top spot at MS66FS, none higher. yet the coin is priced at only $100-$200. i wonder what one 67FS would do to that.

about those 1948-S coins. this is the second batch of 9-10 in the last 2 months. a member must have at least one roll. the last batch went for $22, i got these for $9 because i convinced the last buyer that he should share!!!image i'm gonna try to find out who the consigner is and see if he'll accept something more than what he's been getting at auction for what he has left. our local clubs are funny. once the membership discovers who collects what, out come the hoards!!

al h.image
  • Options
    BNEBNE Posts: 772
    The $9000+ asking prices on the '41 and '42 Type 1 in PR68 are based on the misapprehension that these are Pop 1 coins. If they were (and if there weren't a likelihood that more might be made due to an "opening of the floodgates") I could see someone spending a good portion of that amount to pick them up. But the fact that two more '41s and another '42 Type 1 was just made causes me to believe that PCGS made a decision to "allow" these now, and there are some probable upgrade candidates out there. Way too much for these coins, with the increased pops. I think $5000 is fair for each of these now. (Priced around the same as a '38 or '39 in that grade.) The fact that these are suddenly "appearing" leaves a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth, though. It seems a little arbitrary.

I think the prices for the PR67s for those years (which have been creeping up) are fair, and represent good value, especially for coins with eye appeal, which is really tough for '41s -- I have find it hard to find examples that are not unattractively hazed over.
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BNE: You offer sound reasoning. But, then again, if the "Proof Lincoln Cent" mentality invades Proof Jeffersons, it may be "off to the races" image Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    BNEBNE Posts: 772
    Wondercoin: very true. Possession of sizable amounts of discretionary cash (and getting caught up in the heat of the moment) often cause the most reasonable among us to act in ways not anticipated.image
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey barry

the advantage of nickel over copper----at least something can be done about the hazed fields. i bought a T1 1942 about 2 years ago and pulled it out the other day quite accidentally. it's hazed as you mentioned about the 1941's but looks as though the obv. is frosted. a wash should reveal a nice 65 held back by die polish on Jefferson's coat at the rim.

nickel prices have been rising for the last several years and i think the series will continue that trend for at least the next year and possibly longer if interest in the Lewis and Clark anniversary is strong. Lincolns seem to have a larger group of diehard followers and are higher priced most likely because of the nature of the metals deterioration. some nickel dates will no doubt command those staggering premiums: all pre-1960 coins in high DCAM grades will just never meet the demand of those who want them, the sadness of reality!! get 'em while you can.

al h.image