Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Crossing over...

Anybody know what kind of reputation SCD (Sports collectors Digest) has? Would anyone or has anyone ever tried to cross over from SCD to PSA???

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Frankly not too bad. I would put them at the #4 company for grading accuracy.

I'm just amazed that you could find anything out there to crossover image
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    ok i hate to ask since your defectionimagewho's number 1?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    One guess. You're using their message board.
    I need that 69 Bench ASimage

• Options
    Only, if WIWAG doesn't bring them downimageimage
  • Options
    I was surprised and impressed by SCD's holder. Looks nice, secure, and lists subgrades on the back so you don't have to look them up online. I use them occassionally to grade my star cards, which is another topic entirely, but I like their holders a lot. I haven't crossed any yet, since I have mostly Star co. cards.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm just amazed that you could find anything out there to crossover >>

ZARDOZ - NipperGram Alert! You've been warned! ...jay
  • Options
    only because there is no GAI message boardimage yet.
    have you noticed that his 71 set has been deletedimage
    Collector Focus

• Options
    srs1asrs1a Posts: 398
    I think that SCD graded cards are pretty solid. While I haven't crossed them over to PSA, I have crossed them over to someone else (perhaps zardoz's #2...but could be #3 given recent information!) and they have done well....as well as anyone.

Scott
    Dr S. of the Dead Donkeys MC
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>only because there is no GAI message board yet. >>

That would be funny....

aconte
  • Options
    I crossed over two scd cards a 1955 Ed Lopat was a 8 to a psa 8 and a 1955 Johnny Sain was a 8 to a psa 8. I hope this helps you.
  • Options
    hey, innocent answer to the original question and you all want to beat up on me!!!! LOL

yep, no message board there........yet!

their registry will accept holders from GAI, AND PSA, AND SGC

Very collector friendly for the set buiders. Of course there will be percentage limits as to the number of other company's cards that can be put into their registry sets. Otherwise you guys would just fill their site with your uni-slab sets.

Not company is perfect, but I wonder what the "ranking" will be two years from now?

stay tuned to this channel
  • Options
    the multi slab registry sounds awesome, I'd be keen to that for some certain sets....
  • Options
    3 T-205 bought from scdgradeandtrade scd grades were 5/5/6 crossed to psa trimed/trimed/4 not to happy with scd.i have said it many times before and strongly think the best cards that cross to psa on a whole are sgc .YES BETTER THEN GI have tried both many times sgc only issue to look out for if centering.crossover always a crap shot sgc line playing the line.gi like betting on a 5 or 9/beckett 4 or 10 scd craps and pro well thats a run of 10 box cars in a row.remember those odds in ac this year image
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Z,

Anything can happen in two years. I'm worried in about twenty-thirty. God willing I can hold
    my main collection that long. Any insight that far down the road?

aconte
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    I was having great luck crossing over SCD cards to PSA until my last one a 57-58 Topps Basketball card that was an SCD 7.5. I was hoping for at least a 7 but it came back evidence of trimming.
  • Options
    zardoz,
    will the boys allow more psa's that were graded when they were their?
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Send them all to PRO, CSA, GEM MINT, TFA, and AAA for GEM MINT 10 GRADING! image
  • Options
    From my recent experience, it is a terrible idea to try to cross over BGS cards. Just got another one back that PSA deemed was trimmed.
    3 of my 4 SGC cards crossed over with no problems.
  • Options
    ydsotter,
    It's been beat to death but Beckett stuff is really suspect. I feel your pain.

As for SCD, they are image quality conscious and seem unforgiving on corners. Watch the centering. Their sound appraisal of stock makes them a solid cross candidate. I've tried six cards and have crossed on 5 and bumped up one. I like their holder, but with SGC and GAI out there even their holder ranks 3rd. The grading is certainly competent, however.

Zardoz,
    What's the time table on the registry? Mike said "a couple weeks" six months ago and "any day now" last week in Chicago. Do you know anything new?...
  • Options
    SCDA cards have not crossed well from my experiences. In most cases the cards have graded but normally come back from PSA and/or GAI a full grade or more, lower. Never have had a successful cross.

Bottom of The Ninth
    ebay id grays
    Visit my site at http://www.botn.com
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Seem to cross over lower, and not a critical mass of material out there to really even find decent material to think about crossing. Oh well! SCD has been around long enough to gain a critical mass, if it ever had a chance. At this point, I would continue to view them as a non-entity, unless something dramatic changes.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Schmitty, I would agree. If they haven't made any waves yet it seems unlikely that they will.
    Greg, What have you attempted? It seems odd that someone who is as astute as yourself in terms of grading would miss by a full grade. In your opinion was it your fault or PSA's? Clearly, you looked at the cards in the SCDA holder and figured they were accurately assessed. What did you miss?

All, I think it is obvious by all of the cross-over threads and lack of success that many have that the vast majority of this board does not know how to grade a card. This fact alone makes comparisons of little or no value. I've heard collectors say "My GAI 8 came back a PSA 6." That is ridiculous. IF...and I say IF, that were true it would be sheer stupidity on the part of the submitter or PSA (save for damage when cracking the card out). My point is, if you can't tell a two grade difference through a holder, you should get out of the card grading game...pronto! I have to say that if you routinely get cards back a full grade lower or worse on crossover, maybe you need to sharpen your eye a touch.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

DGF, great points,
    but isn't an implied assurance of quality THE major reason people buy graded cards over the net.
    Once one receives a graded card and has muttered to oneself 'wow, this card is really weak for the grade',
    what is one to do ?

Re-dump the card on another unsuspecting collector,
    or break it out and add it to a submission on a 'wing and a prayer', and hope for the best ?
    Most probably end up doing the latter ...
    Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    GATOR5GATOR5 Posts: 654

Dgf and Wolf

Great points just wish we could see that half point scale.

• Options
    it is an ethical dilemma isn't it? a bgs card comes back... evidence of trimming... so what do you do? eat the several hundred dollar loss? or list it on eBay? afterall, one strain of thought might say: beckett collectors get what they deserve... or... beckett collectors should know better by now.
    another strain of thought might be that by reselling it we are contributing to the demise of mistrust in the grading industry...
    mmm?
  • Options
    ydsotter,
    No dilemma. It is, afterall, just an opinion. I trust certain people more than others when establishing what may/may not have been done to a card. I typically don't buy Beckett. I say typically.
    Wolfbear,
    You're not "dumping" anything on anyone. If you think your PSA, BGS, PDQ or whatever card is overgraded, that's your opinion. The next owner may be very pleased with your trash. I see people all the time frantically collecting cert #'s without regard for the actual contents of the holder. Your inference assumes that PSA is the end-all be-all of grading companies...not so. If you think your SCDA card is overgraded so be it. You don't need to cross it over to PSA before selling it to prove it. The truth is, as I said before, the vast majority of people collecting graded cards do not have a discerning enough eye to tell a sharp 7 from a slider 9. They prove it on these boards every single day. Further, if PSA's standards are solid and your eye is sharp "wings and prayers" shouldn't matter.
  • Options
    FRAZIER 1rst i think you are incorrect about most of us can not tell a seven from a nine.but that is not either here or there.everyony has a opinion.but most of us keep it to ourselfs.but since we are speaking our minds. mine is you should not make a comment like that,because what you are really saying is most of us just are not as savey as you are.no offence just my opinion
  • Options
    While your being nice by calling me "savey", yes I do have a better eye than some...not as good as others. The point of the post was to point out that just because your card doesn't cross isn't the case for "blanket" statements like SCDA cards don't cross well. It's the card we're dealing with and everybody's company of choice overgrades them sometimes. It's up to the crosser's eye. For the record no one has an opinion but me and I am the greatest of all time!!! image I'll try to be less accusatory going forward.
  • Options
    When the wagering starts

I'll put a $100 on DGF and his skillful eye.
  • Options
    KING KELLOGGKING KELLOGG Posts: 1,157 ✭✭
    Z...

I'll take some of that action too...DGF's reputation preceeded him, even all the way out here in the Northwest........ (gets me ready for A.C. and the K Krap shoot...)

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    Yeah!image

This K-Krapshoot is going to be quite an event. I feel sorry for the Kraps table Krew when the K-Karnival komes to town
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah!image

This K-Krapshoot is going to be quite an event. I feel sorry for the Kraps table Krew when the K-Karnival komes to town >>

Hey Paul,ask them about the Proof cards bor.....the proof cards! It's 7.45am or so your time. Did the wife make you breakfast yet??? image
  • Options
    DGF these grades just posted today.i think they speak ok for the 90% of us that can not tell a 7 from a 9 image ZARDOZ i will cover that action. see you boys in AC. the football crew will be at the blackjack tableimage come by and visit us when those kelloggs dice crack.;( invoice #4025772 anyone with a interest in anything lmk.just kidding of course wish you semi vintage collecters the bestimage
  • Options
    oke-doke...if you say so.
  • Options
    all in fun dgf. have heard nothing but good things about you.after all i am a redskins fan so what do i know. lol
  • Options