Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1956 Topps Set on Ebay

I noticed that the second relisting of a 1956 Topps PSA 8/9 set failed to receive a bid of 50K. In the first listing, which had a reserve there were 4 bidders who placed bids above 50K. Am I missing something? Were they shills for the buyer? Were they privy to the reserve?

Comments

• Options
    Shills for the seller?
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    Maybe all four bidders had a change of heart and decided against collecting 1956's...(cough, cough).

Although the bidders may have been dealers and after additional analysis...decided that the break up value was not worth the investment.

Do you have a link to the original auction?

John
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    Link to original auction

I could see where someone might find out the reserve ahead of time and bid knowing that they were below the reserve. I see many sets end a few dollars shy of the reserve.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Well Coach's Corner is a dealer...not sure about CalRosen99 though.

John
  • Options
    TipemTipem Posts: 881

The bids were definately not shill bids.I know Don and that is not his style.Calrosen99 is somewhat of a dealer.He had a set on the registry before breaking it up.He still buys and sells 56's on E-Bay.

John,

I think that you probably hit the nail on the head.This set is currently #2 on the registry and is a really nice set with 56 9's and 2 10's.Probably could be broken up but the return might not be worth the work that one would have to put into it.I wish that I had the capital to buy it.I have heard from Don as well as people in the know that there is around 80K invested in it.He is going to list it with a major auction company(I think) and take a beating on it.He does not want to break up the set.

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.